F@H news Nov 8: Changes in Core17: update and move to full fah

Changes in Core17: update and move to full fah

November 7, 2013 by Vijay Pande ·

With FAH GPU Core17 taking over the lion share of our calculations, with the older cores (especially core15 and core16) phasing out (as previously announced), we’re rolling out core 17 to full fah (not just adv).  This should hopefully resolve the issue that many GPU donors have been seeing in terms of not getting any work, now that Core15 and Core16 jobs are at end of life.

We’ve also released a new update to Core17, version 0.0.52, which is a minor update, with the following changes:

Core17 Release Notes:

-Much more responsive exiting

-Fixed bugs related to visualization for next version of the FAHViewer

-Disabled some internal debug code

-For Windows NVIDIA Users running on a single GPU, we’ve enabled a new feature called temperature control that pauses the core internally. This is disabled by default.

-To enable temperature control, a pair of additional arguments are required:

-tmax (maximum temperature threshold in Celsius), must be less than 110

-twait (minimum wait duration in seconds), must be at least 900

-if temperature > tmax, then the GPU waits for at least twait seconds

-these can be passed in via extra-core-args in the config.xml file :

<slot id=’0′ type=’GPU’>

<extra-core-args v=’-tmax=80 -twait=900′/>

</slot>

-Removed dependency of glib.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/changes-in-core17-update-and-move-to-full-fah/

Not sure if any of you guys have temp issues with F@H but I guess this could be a plus for additional control. :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Now this is something that isn't F@H related but I just want to mention this will be my last post mention any F@H news for a while and I'll be going quiet in general on the forum. 

On the 12 of November, I'll be heading to Job Corps in pursuit of better education and picking up a trade. (hopefully computer / I.T technician)

For our fellow folders outside of the US that dont know what Job Corps is, I'll quote the web site as I couldn't say it any better.

Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job. For eligible young people at least 16 years of age that qualify as low income, Job Corps provides the all-around skills needed to succeed in a career and in life.

http://www.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx

I'll probably be in this program for the next 6 months (possibly shorter or long depending on how fast I complete the program) and my internet usage will be pretty limited. 

So except for U.S. holidays (that government employees would get days off), I will not be on the forums.

Also want to mention that this will most likely prevent me for assisting with the upcomming "Chimp Challenge" (or what ever the new name might be).

So I'll have to pass the torch on to someone else getting that all coordinated. 

Well, once I'm done with Job Corps, I'll be back. Ready to assist and help like always.  :)

thanks for the info and good luck hope to see you around in the future. 

Take care @warmon6 and good luck. Thanks for the news update!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99