Bypass Cooling Loop

Would there by any benefit to creating a bypass loop or a loop that would skip all the heating elements in the cooling loop (CPU, GPU, Etc) and go through 1 or more radiators ?

I work in the oil and gas industry and we have hydraulic equipment that have bypass loops for the hydraulic fluid which is what gave me the idea.

Here is a simple outline of what I was thinking.

votlq1.png

I am just curious what everyone here thinks about such a design vs just having the 2 radiators in series

id be worried about the bubbles and pressure caused by having two opposite pulling pumps

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Honestly, you don't need it. However, theoretically, having a rad in a less restrictive bypass loop will increase your cooling ability, since you will have water cycling through the radiator more frequently. However, that would be a minimal difference, and the $ would be better spent on more radiators for the main loop, or really anything else. Even better fans. I wouldn't do it, unless it's a "because it's cool and I want to" kind of thing, and not a "I think this is worth it for the extra cooling" kind of thing.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Yeah the reservoir would either need to be rather large or pump 2 could be a low speed pump to cut down on the turbulence and also increasing the time the coolant is in the radiator.

3 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Honestly, you don't need it. However, theoretically, having a rad in a less restrictive bypass loop will increase your cooling ability, since you will have water cycling through the radiator more frequently. However, that would be a minimal difference, and the $ would be better spent on more radiators for the main loop, or really anything else. Even better fans. I wouldn't do it, unless it's a "because it's cool and I want to" kind of thing, and not a "I think this is worth it for the extra cooling" kind of thing.

Haha it would definitely not be a cost effective measure, but if you only had room for 2 radiators would it perform better all things equal having 1 on primary loop and 1 on bypass

1 minute ago, Squi11iams said:

Haha it would definitely not be a cost effective measure, but if you only had room for 2 radiators would it perform better all things equal having 1 on primary loop and 1 on bypass

Yes. But it would probably be just as much better if you took the $ for the extra pump and fittings, and put that into fancy fans. Or fancier radiators. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

39 minutes ago, Squi11iams said:

Would there by any benefit to creating a bypass loop or a loop that would skip all the heating elements in the cooling loop (CPU, GPU, Etc) and go through 1 or more radiators ?

I work in the oil and gas industry and we have hydraulic equipment that have bypass loops for the hydraulic fluid which is what gave me the idea.

Here is a simple outline of what I was thinking.

I am just curious what everyone here thinks about such a design vs just having the 2 radiators in series

I don't see really any reason why there would be a huge difference in performance but other than the extra cost of the pumps and fittings required, but having rads in series or in this case as a bypass usually does not benefit performance as they are already low restriction for the pumps.

Try this one

WC101-1.png

Or this one.

WC101-2.png

Or this one

WC101-3.png

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel