I5 4690K still relevant?

7 minutes ago, typographie said:

That's basically my setup! :)

Trust me, there are ways to "spend" that extra performance within a 60 FPS cap. The Witcher 3 + HairWorks + graphics mods balances right on 60–65 FPS, there are resolution scale sliders, framerate-crushing MSAA/SSAA options, Deus Ex Mankind Divided (which still runs like this), Nvidia DSR, and then there's always SweetFX/ENB injectors. Very rarely am I actually 'wasting' performance unless I'm playing an older or 2D game (though to be fair, I play a ton of Rimworld).

I knew when I bought my 1070 I didn't strictly need it, but I chose this situation over the alternative. I know that when I try to play games in two years (when the 1070 may no longer be believed to be a "1440p card"), it's still going to run fine for me. Or if I want to upgrade to 1440p or 144 Hz, I won't be completely shooting myself in the foot. And in the meantime—the year or so after the 1070 launched—I'm running everything at basically the max details possible. I can understand why some disagree with the choice, but it wasn't an accident and I don't regret it.

you knew what you were getting into and for your situation you made the right choices...but don't think your games with stupid amount of AA or injector mods and shit look anywhere near as good as they would on my 2560x1440 IPS Gsync 144hz monitor...IMHO, you did the right choice if you look at keeping the card for a long time...but you'll never know what that GPU can really do and how amazing and smooth and stutter and tearing free those games can be until you get a proper monitor for this card...but again, you're right to say that would considerably reduce the timespan over with the card will meet your performance goals.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR