I5 4690K still relevant?

Found a I5 4690K and msi z97 gaming 5 on ebay for £240, question is whether or not it is still a good cpu for gaming, atm i will be fine with my r9 280x and a 4690k but how will it stack up with say a 1070 which i will be looking at getting as my next gpu(not really any time soon though). Anything that will beat it for this price?(including mobo as it is a combo on ebay)

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

13 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

Found a I5 4690K and msi z97 gaming 5 on ebay for £240, question is whether or not it is still a good cpu for gaming, atm i will be fine with my r9 280x and a 4690k but how will it stack up with say a 1070 which i will be looking at getting as my next gpu(not really any time soon though). Anything that will beat it for this price?(including mobo as it is a combo on ebay)

wait for ryzen ;) 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

21 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

I have a 4690k at 4,8GHz and it holds up really well to any cpu on the market.

But as mentioned ryzen will come out soon with supposedly a 6c/12t overclockable cpu for 180 bucks. Also 240 Pounds is not an awesome deal honestly.

13 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

I have a 4690k at 4,8GHz and it holds up really well to any cpu on the market.

But as mentioned ryzen will come out soon with supposedly a 6c/12t overclockable cpu for 180 bucks. Also 240 Pounds is not an awesome deal honestly.

ok will wait and see, cheers

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

Ryzen also has a 4c8t CPU at 3.9 ghz for 200 usd.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

4 hours ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

If you buy a used i7 4770 from Cex for £165 and a h81 boards for £40, you get a i7 and board for less than a i5 and board, not even factoring in cooler prices

18 hours ago, App4that said:

4690k will bottleneck a 1070 in some games. I wouldn't go over a 480/1060

Or wait for a better CPU.

Bottlenecking is used very loosely.

In my mind bottlenecking is where the gpu is not being able to be utilized much-

Yes you will get better fps with an i7 7700k vs 4690k on a 1080 but none of they will bottleneck. Also depends on whatt res you play at

A friend of mine runs a 1070 with an i5 4460 and the gpu runs at 100% in almost every game.

TThe work bottleneck comes from the bottle where the "neck" of the bottle is slimmer and makes the water run out of the bottle slower than what it would without the slim passage.

15 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

In my mind bottlenecking is where the gpu is not being able to be utilized much-

Yes you will get better fps with an i7 7700k vs 4690k on a 1080 but none of they will bottleneck. Also depends on whatt res you play at

A friend of mine runs a 1070 with an i5 4460 and the gpu runs at 100% in almost every game.

TThe work bottleneck comes from the bottle where the "neck" of the bottle is slimmer and makes the water run out of the bottle slower than what it would without the slim passage.

the 4690k bottleneck the 1070 easily in many new games. per example : BATTLEFIELD 1

You will get cpu lag and the gpu will never be used over 70% in some cases the gpu will be used only 50%

Thats a huge bottleneck. but it happens in bf1 and maybe couple other games, but most other games there will be no bottlenecks

4 minutes ago, smokefest said:

the 4690k bottleneck the 1070 easily in many new games. per example : BATTLEFIELD 1

You will get cpu lag and the gpu will never be used over 70% in some cases the gpu will be used only 50%

Thats a huge bottleneck. but it happens in bf1 and maybe couple other games, but most other games there will be no bottlenecks

Yeah, it will in cpu heavy games.

But as i said i would wait for ryzens 6c/12t cpu or the 4c/8t cpu

1 minute ago, Christopher_ said:

obviously.. but heh.. ryzen might not do so good in games... remember the FX when they came.. an 8 core wowowowowow everyone was amazed, but yet it sucked in games...

Lets hope this time AMD put some effort to compete with intel in GAMES

2 minutes ago, smokefest said:

obviously.. but heh.. ryzen might not do so good in games... remember the FX when they came.. an 8 core wowowowowow everyone was amazed, but yet it sucked in games...

Lets hope this time AMD put some effort to compete with intel in GAMES

Yeah it could be the case, but as always wait for benchmarks, (i think ive said that like 50 times tha last month, lol)

But the stuff they have showed looks really promising. The ipc should be around 10% off kaby lake, and considering all their cpus are going to be unlocked that sounds good to me!

5 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

Yeah it could be the case, but as always wait for benchmarks, (i think ive said that like 50 times tha last month, lol)

But the stuff they have showed looks really promising. The ipc should be around 10% off kaby lake, and considering all their cpus are going to be unlocked that sounds good to me!

We will see ! I bet my 6700k will beat all the ryzen cpu's in games xD thats my guess Single core performance broooo

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

We will see ! I bet my 6700k will beat all the ryzen cpu's in games xD thats my guess

Probably, but we dont know if the ryzen cpus will overclock well :P

1 minute ago, Christopher_ said:

Probably, but we dont know if the ryzen cpus will overclock well :P

I would love to see amd break new records, beat intel, etc...

But that is like believing that my EX will come to suck my di** tonigh and leave without asking anything xD

1 hour ago, Christopher_ said:

Ryzen isn't a gaming architecture, it's for production. It's weaker IPC and single core performance in comparison to Intel will keep it from dethroning the 6700k or 7700k. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

13 hours ago, App4that said:

Ryzen isn't a gaming architecture, it's for production. It's weaker IPC and single core performance in comparison to Intel will keep it from dethroning the 6700k or 7700k. 

All we can do is wait for comparisons!

17 hours ago, Christopher_ said:

much?! in my mind it is when the GPU is not being able to be utilized FULLY...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Well iguess there is no defenition of what a bottleneck is and what is not.

But if thats the case there will always be a bottleneck :P either the cpu or gpu

7 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

You're both right, but in your case that's usually specific to only a few games and often not even a problem that I would consider worth affecting a purchasing decision. I don't care if my GPU would become 'bottlenecked' at 85% usage and 70 FPS, when I'm using a 60 Hz monitor.

48 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

But if thats the case there will always be a bottleneck :P either the cpu or gpu

This. There is always a bottleneck or a framerate cap. If there was no bottleneck, your framerate would be infinite.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

You're both right, but in your case that's usually specific to only a few games and often not even a problem that I would consider worth affecting a purchasing decision. I don't care if my GPU would become 'bottlenecked' at 85% usage and 70 FPS, when I'm using a 60 Hz monitor.

then...you have a monitor bottleneck...which is the WORST type...because you can't do nothing about it ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

my 4690K 4.6ghz performs decently with my 1070. however in the latest titles it's getting to the point that the 4690K isn't cutting it. just a few games include BF1, Watch dogs 2, The Division, Fallout 4, the Witcher 3 (though not as bad as the other games). the CPU becomes more important when you get a 144hz monitor as well, since you want to maintain high frame rates 

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

then...you have a monitor bottleneck...which is the WORST type...because you can't do nothing about it ;)

I know you're partially joking, but once we get to the point of "monitor bottlenecks" I think we're really abusing our tech forum terminology. :P

This stuff about bottlenecks is really misleading to some types of posters, I think. Yes, it's possible to find cases where an i5-4690K hits 100% and your video card doesn't, but it's a little alarmist to suggest that's a large or frequent problem. In my experience there aren't a lot of games where a Haswell or newer i5 is any problem at all, even when the meters suggest its "bottlenecking." We're talking about bottlenecks in the 70's and 80's or higher, not bottlenecks at 20 FPS or something. In a lot of those cases, an equivalent i7-4790K wouldn't even be doing that much better because it's not always an issue of core count.

5 minutes ago, typographie said:

I know you're partially joking, but once we get to the point of "monitor bottlenecks" I think we're really abusing our tech forum terminology. :P

i'm not...i'm dead serious...if you have a 60hz monitor and a GPU that can handle 90FPS or so in demanding games...you overspent on your GPU and you should buy a new monitor...what you want at the end of the day is to maxout your expensive GPU and get as smooth a gaming experience as possible...otherwise IMHO you're doing it wrong...and 60FPS really ain't that smooth...especially once you've experienced better...people buying GTX 1070 with 60hz 1080p monitor for example...

Agree about the other part...an overclocked haswell or skylake core i5 is usually enough, otherwise use nice anti-aliasing and stuff...unless you want to get that 100FPS gaming experience in BF1 for example and you have a 144hz display...in which case...AGAIN, you spent a lot on your GPU and monitor but you should have bought an equally powerful CPU.

14 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i'm not...i'm dead serious...if you have a 60hz monitor and a GPU that can handle 90FPS or so in demanding games...you overspent on your GPU and you should buy a new monitor...what you want at the end of the day is to maxout your expensive GPU and get as smooth a gaming experience as possible...otherwise IMHO you're doing it wrong...and 60FPS really ain't that smooth...especially once you've experienced better...people buying GTX 1070 with 60hz 1080p monitor for example...

That's basically my setup! :)

Trust me, there are ways to "spend" that extra performance within a 60 FPS cap. The Witcher 3 + HairWorks + graphics mods balances right on 60–65 FPS. There are resolution scale sliders, framerate-crushing MSAA/SSAA options, Deus Ex Mankind Divided (which still runs like this), Nvidia DSR, and then there's always SweetFX/ENB injectors. Very rarely am I actually 'wasting' much performance unless I'm playing an older or 2D game (though to be fair, I play a ton of Rimworld).

I knew when I bought my 1070 I didn't strictly need it, but I chose this situation over the alternative. I know that when I try to play games in two years (when the 1070 may no longer be believed to be a "1440p card"), it's still likely to run fine at very high-ish settings. Or if I want to upgrade to 1440p or 144 Hz, I won't be completely shooting myself in the foot. And in the meantime—the year or so after the 1070 launched—I'm running everything at basically the max details possible. I can understand why some disagree with the choice, but it wasn't an accident and I don't regret it.