Server RAM is too hot to touch

Go to solution Solved by Inrix,

Id do some benchmarks in a os and see where it goes. The ram in my server sits around 40deg most of the time (Celsius) and thats with it all being used... Imo worse case (haha case geddit) senario is that you get some stupid quiet fans to give a tiny airflow for the case. Im currently using fans that are so silent that the HDD's are louder, so if you wanted quiet that would work...

But try a benchmark first, it could be that they just allways run that hot, And you can also check the actual temps using something like HW monitor

I recently build a PC our of server components (e5405 x2) and it came with 8x1 RAM that is ecc and fully buffered, running at 667 mhz. I built it into an open air wooden case and I just started it up for the first time and was just sitting in the bios and was making sure everything was working, no OC and I reached over and touched the RAM and could only touch it for .5 seconds.

I think that means it is around 60c which is safe (I think) but I was just sitting in the BIOS.

I don't think this is normal, It said that the memory fan wasn't connected when I entered the BIOS, so do I need a fan and if I do how would I connect it?

I just bought 4 120mm fans for my CPU coolers and was wondering how I would attach it to the RAM to keep them cool.

Thanks for the help. 

Id do some benchmarks in a os and see where it goes. The ram in my server sits around 40deg most of the time (Celsius) and thats with it all being used... Imo worse case (haha case geddit) senario is that you get some stupid quiet fans to give a tiny airflow for the case. Im currently using fans that are so silent that the HDD's are louder, so if you wanted quiet that would work...

But try a benchmark first, it could be that they just allways run that hot, And you can also check the actual temps using something like HW monitor

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

yep thats normal, fb dimms run really hot.

Id get a new server, The power costs will be very high and its very slow

You can duct tape or zip tie the ran on there.