Do you think cars should have an ECAM system like Airbus has?

3 Lions

I think they should because you wouldn't need to plug a diagnostics tool to find the fault code. 

Image result for Airbus ecam

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

For a few petrol heads, maybe. For most people, an engine warning light is too technical for 'em 

4 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

For most people, an engine warning light is too technical for 'em 

But an ECAM system would make it much easier to understand the fault. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

18 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

And how would that help the average Joe, who's probably brought the car to a mechanic by this point? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

18 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I think many shops have the appropriate tools to get the error codes from vehicles that support it so that they can diagnose accordingly.

Airbus is also handling much more expensive and much, much more complicated equipment

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

• 10 months later...

yes ecam would be good. it could save you hundreds in repairs that mechanics say you need but you dont really need

You can use an OBD2 reader to find out what's wrong with your car and that's the easy way. You don't have to "reinvent the wheel" just cause a company is using a specific system on their machines.

On 2/12/2017 at 1:00 AM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I think they should because you wouldn't need to plug a diagnostics tool to find the fault code. 

OBD2 readers (and other devices) are cheap and easy to use.

And the image you provided would be much more difficult to understand for the average consumer, it's easier to scan for codes and search for them online.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:49 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

And how would that help the average Joe, who's probably brought the car to a mechanic by this point? 

I agree with this, not everyone is going to even bother looking at the problem by themselves, they'd much rather take it to a shop and get them to fix it instead.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:15 AM, Clanscorpia said:

Airbus is also handling much more expensive and much, much more complicated equipment

To add to this, the technology they're using is too advanced for cars IMO.

To some extent a lot of new cars already have something similar.  You can get a fair idea by looking at the lights and in newer cars they'll often times put up a message on what is falling off.  If you want something more technical... I imagine a scanner would work just fine since they're fairly cheap these days.