Remote Desktoping/Locking Down Grandparents Computer

mpsparrow

About two years ago we got a new computer for my grandparents. Previously they were using a Windows XP 10 year-old brick. We never got around to updating it, so it is still running Windows 8 (not 8.1).

My question is, how can I remote desktop into his computer so that I don't need to visit him every few months to fix something? He doesn't have a router, just a modem so that may complicate things. Also I don't think he even has Windows 8 Pro. So what is the best way to do this. Is there a software out there that works with Windows 8 and that I can use to do this? Is it easier to buy a Windows 10 Pro key off of Kinguin and upgrade him to that. Does he need a router for port forwarding? Please help!!!

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Chrome Remote Desktop is all you need (teamviewer works too but it's a tad more of a hassle)

So Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't require any port forwarding or anything? Just load up Chrome and install the addon? I would need to switch him to chrome... but it may be worth it.

What I do is set up  RealVNC on the computer, a remote desktop software. I configure it on a non-default port so that it won't be hammered with login attempts by bots from the Internet so much, and set up a strong username and password.

Real VNC runs as a service in the background and waits for connections so basically all I need is to know the IP of the computer to be able to connect to that computer and service it.

Of course, the IP is dynamic at home, so I basically put a bookmark in Firefox bookmarks bar called "My IP" and every time my parents ask for help i just say "See that button that says "My IP" under the box where you type yahoo to check your email ? Hit that for me and tell me what it says" ... I set the bookmark to http://ping.eu  which lists the IP right smack in the center of the page.

When I set this up, I was too lazy to do it, and I think registrations were temporarily disabled for the following solution.

Nowadays, you could work around this by using a service like http://afraid.org which gives you free dynamic dns. Basically, you sign up for a free account and you get a subdomain like  mpsparrow.afraid.org which points to an IP that you can set up.. and there's a small application which can be configured to run in background when computer starts which will update the IP with the computer's IP every time it changes (it refreshes every few minutes, but the free accounts get updates every hour)

So basically, whenever they ask for help, you'd be able to type that subdomain instead of an IP and connect to the parents' computer.

I'm using RealVNC which is commercial, there's also TightVNC which is free, but i prefer RealVNC as it's more polished and supports more things (higher encryption, smoother graphics, tighter compression so is more responsive when you're far away from other computer)

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What I do is set up  RealVNC on the computer, a remote desktop software. I configure it on a non-default port so that it won't be hammered with login attempts by bots from the Internet so much, and set up a strong username and password.

Real VNC runs as a service in the background and waits for connections so basically all I need is to know the IP of the computer to be able to connect to that computer and service it.

Of course, the IP is dynamic at home, so I basically put a bookmark in Firefox bookmarks bar called "My IP" and every time my parents ask for help i just say "See that button that says "My IP" under the box where you type yahoo to check your email ? Hit that for me and tell me what it says" ... I set the bookmark to http://ping.eu  which lists the IP right smack in the center of the page.

When I set this up, I was too lazy to do it, and I think registrations were temporarily disabled for the following solution.

Nowadays, you could work around this by using a service like http://afraid.org which gives you free dynamic dns. Basically, you sign up for a free account and you get a subdomain like  mpsparrow.afraid.org which points to an IP that you can set up.. and there's a small application which can be configured to run in background when computer starts which will update the IP with the computer's IP every time it changes (it refreshes every few minutes, but the free accounts get updates every hour)

So basically, whenever they ask for help, you'd be able to type that subdomain instead of an IP and connect to the parents' computer.

I'm using RealVNC which is commercial, there's also TightVNC which is free, but i prefer RealVNC as it's more polished and supports more things (higher encryption, smoother graphics, tighter compression so is more responsive when you're far away from other computer)

I don't want anything too complicated. The simpler the better. Doesn't RealVNC cost?

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

or... you use a modern alternative like chrome remote desktop or teamviewer, and get around all of that mess.

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

or... you use a modern alternative like chrome remote desktop or teamviewer, and get around all of that mess.

I don't need to port forward in order to remote desktop in through Windows?

+1 for all who have said TeamViewer so far. You can even set it up so you can have a permanent password on the machine (or even log it into a TeamViewer) account so you can get access to the machine whenever you need to and won't need to complicate anything. It works fine without having to port-forward.

edutechie

If everything in an Active Directory is an object and women can be part of an Active Directory, does that mean women are objects?

33 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's important to point out that VNC does NOT encrypt your connection. The password exchange is safe, but if you don't take appropriate measures after authentication anyone could snoop in and see what you're doing. To avoid this you'd need to use ssh tunneling or something like that, but it's not exactly hassle free. Chrome remote desktop or TeamViewer seem like the best solution in this scenario.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Nope. Not for either of the above options

But he would need to have Windows 8.1 Pro? Maybe I should upgrade him to a non activated version of Windows 10.

29 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's important to point out that VNC does NOT encrypt your connection. The password exchange is safe, but if you don't take appropriate measures after authentication anyone could snoop in and see what you're doing. To avoid this you'd need to use ssh tunneling or something like that, but it's not exactly hassle free. Chrome remote desktop or TeamViewer seem like the best solution in this scenario.

VNC seems to complicated. I am either going to use Chrome, the built in Windows remote desktop, or TeamViewer. They seem like the three easiest options.

1 hour ago, mpsparrow said:

About two years ago we got a new computer for my grandparents. Previously they were using a Windows XP 10 year-old brick. We never got around to updating it, so it is still running Windows 8 (not 8.1).

My question is, how can I remote desktop into his computer so that I don't need to visit him every few months to fix something? He doesn't have a router, just a modem so that may complicate things. Also I don't think he even has Windows 8 Pro. So what is the best way to do this. Is there a software out there that works with Windows 8 and that I can use to do this? Is it easier to buy a Windows 10 Pro key off of Kinguin and upgrade him to that. Does he need a router for port forwarding? Please help!!!

Teamviewer works well and is extremely easy to use.

You install the software, then setup "Unattended Access". You assign a password to the computer. The computer itself is given a 9-digit "ID number". When in Unattended Access mode, it runs as a service, and as long as the computer is turned on, and has internet, the connection is available (Even if user is not logged in).

Finally, you create and sign into a Teamviewer account. This adds the computer to the account. So on another computer, you install Teamviewer, sign into your account, and you see your Grandparents computer in the list.

No need to remember an IP Address, or even the ID number of the computer.

No port forwarding needed (At least, not normally). Also, no need to worry about the WAN IP Address changing (Since most residential connections are on DHCP, which means the IP will occasionally change).

Easier to deal with compared to Windows RDP. And less hassle with setup compared to some of the VNC programs. I've never used the Chrome Remote Desktop add-on, so that might be alright But Teamviewer is simply one of the best out there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would personally enjoy the time spent with my grandparents... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

And how would he enjoy that time if he spent every minute of his visit fixing their old computer?

This way, now he can dedicate his time to actually visiting them and paying attention to them!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

53 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

51 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And how would he enjoy that time if he spent every minute of his visit fixing their old computer?

This way, now he can dedicate his time to actually visiting them and paying attention to them!

I do spend loads of time with them. This just allows me to fix his problems over the phone as appose to driving 45 minutes away to fix a small problem on his computer.

10 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

I do spend loads of time with them. This just allows me to fix his problems over the phone as appose to driving 45 minutes away to fix a small problem on his computer.

Gotcha. I just don't see half my family anymore. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil