Youtube Comments (Taking it further)

Ghost

Right now in my opinion Youtube have done an amazing thing with the comments. It worked for a few glorious hours until the bulk of the people started making fake names, and just making google+ accounts with thier old names.

There are two features I would like to happen to youtube.

1. Google + name verification. You go though the same name and adress verification process you did/do for paypal. They charge your card a ## amount of money and you tell them how much they charged you. This then verfies your name and you would get a little tick next to your name, that it is indeed correct.
  2. Verfied names only comments. I would then like to be able to choose to only view comments from verfied users.

This would completely clean up the youtube comments section. No more spam or keyboard warriors. It would of course be optional to do these extra steps but I think they would re-shape the youtube comments section entirely.

Maybe this seems a little bit drastic but I really hope this is the next step Google takes.

What's your opinion?

P.S.: Please do not complain about the new youtube comments in this thread, this is purely to discuss the two features above. Also, please give reasons for your opinion.

EDIT: I should add that most of the points people are making are the reasons I want this. If your future employers and everyone you know can see your comment. You're going to act professionally.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Why does anyone bother with YouTube comments anymore? It's just chock full of trolls and idiots pretending to be Chuck Norris and Barack Obama.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Why does anyone bother with YouTube comments anymore? It's just chock full of trolls and idiots pretending to be Chuck Norris and Barack Obama.

Hence the two things I proposed?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Right now in my opinion Youtube have done an amazing thing with the comments. It worked for a few glorious hours until the bulk of the people started making fake names, and just making google+ accounts with thier old names.

• Google + name verification. You go though the same name and adress verification process you did/do for paypal. They charge your card a ## amount of money and you tell them how much they charged you. This then verfies your name and you would get a little tick next to your name, that it is indeed correct.
  • Verfied names only comments. I would then like to be able to choose to only view comments from verfied users.
This would completely clean up the youtube comments section. No more spam or keyboard warriors. It would of course be optional to do these extra steps but I think they would re-shape the youtube comments section entirely.

Maybe this seems a little bit drastic but I really hope this is the next step Google takes.

What's your opinion?

P.S.: Please do not complain about the new youtube comments in this thread, this is purely to discuss the two features above. Also, please give reasons for your opinion.

Anyone who is at least a little well known will have constant harassment and wouldn't be able to enjoy YouTube.

Think these things through.

So we can be in the competition linus and logan made!

1. Google + name verification. You go though the same name and adress verification process you did/do for paypal. They charge your card a ## amount of money and you tell them how much they charged you. This then verfies your name and you would get a little tick next to your name, that it is indeed correct.
  2. Verfied names only comments. I would then like to be able to choose to only view comments from verfied users.

What's your opinion?

I have certain ethical problems with the concept of persistent identity (what you are advocating, as is facebook, twitter and other social media). There are many reasons to not want your name linked to your digital life (to say nothing of the problems with having financial info or specific location data linked). For me, I do not want my employers/government/advertisers to have access to my social media or my personal information (I'm not doing anything I shouldn't/bad mouthing them, it is simply not their business). Further, persistent identity makes the use of your data for financial means easier(advertising/selling of information) and more disturbing, to say nothing of the spying/government issues. Generally there is no way to look at persistent identity where it does not contribute to a chilling of speech, while we often may no like the quality of speech I do not believe it should be limited except in extreme circumstances or when one actively agrees to do so by contract.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Anyone who is at least a little well known will have constant harassment and wouldn't be able to enjoy YouTube.

Think these things through.

They could have secondary accounts, like most people have anyway.

If you are not okay with your name being attached to what you post, don't post it. That's the logic behind this.

I don't youtube other than linus/logan/paul/hwc, and don't really comment ever.  New comments don't bother me in the slightest.

So we can be in the competition linus and logan made!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I think it actually works a lot better than it did previously. You can view and reply in the notification view, and you can even see the thumbs up you get. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

I have certain ethical problems with the concept of persistent identity (what you are advocating, as is facebook, twitter and other social media). There are many reasons to not want you name linked to your digital life (to say nothing of the problems with having financial info linked). For me, I do not want my employers/government/advertisers to have access to my social media (I'm not doing anything bad/bad mouthing them, it is simply not their business). Further, persistent identity makes the use of your data for financial means (advertising/selling of information) easier and more disturbing, to say nothing of the spying/government issues.

Whats wrong with people seeing what you post on youtube? As long as what you post is a fair opinion/comment I doubt anyone would care.

You forget that google has everyone's info anyway from when they signed up to the play store. There could simply be a checkbox to agree/disagree for any info to be shared with 3rd parties. Again, with the government spying issues, Is your youtube comment going to be worth anything to the government?

Whats wrong with people seeing what you post on youtube? As long as what you post is a fair opinion/comment I doubt anyone would care.

You forget that google has everyone's info anyway from when they signed up to the play store. There could simply be a checkbox to agree/disagree for any info to be shared with 3rd parties. Again, with the government spying issues, Is your youtube comment going to be worth anything to the government?

There is nothing 'wrong' with people seeing what I post, I just do not want my actual identity linked to that post for reasons I have described. As for google having my information, this is true in a limited sense, I do not use the Google play store or link my address/phone/etc to my account. My point was not that I have anything to hide (I don't) just that not having something to hide is not the same as wanting intrusions into ones life. My issue is less with YouTube than with persistent identity in general, it is a slippery slope, first it will be optional, but how long before it is required? The rates of identity theft and other misuse of information are high enough without adding more of my information to the public sphere, to say nothing of free speech issues. While freedom of speech is less of a concern in the US and European countries, it is a real concern in many places; even in modern democracies freedom of speech is still a difficult issue (look at the problems with government spying/leaking of information).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I cant see any posts on youtube? Im signed into my google+ and everything, anyone know why? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Attaching someone's name to their words puts a damper on them causing trouble to other people, but it opens the doors for people causing trouble to the poster.  Discrimination in employment based on religious afflilations (or non-affiliations) for example is still a very real issue.  I don't want anything I say to be attached to my physical identity.  Personal accountability can be good, but it can also be a double-edged sword.

On a less important note, when I answer questions and give information I like to keep it clean of any personal identity or affiliations, because if I say I'm 38, or I'm 18, or I'm an engineer, or I'm a uni student who works in a grocery store, or I work for Intel or Apple or IBM, that has an automatic effect on how people respond to the information when it shouldn't.  People like to judge the merit of your information based on your personal credentials rather than the actual validity of the information itself when they can't find anything wrong with it directly.  But I prefer the argument to be over when the other guy doesn't have any argument, so I don't give them anything to work with.  It keeps things on topic, and it's something that can't be done in live conversation, only on the internet, which is refreshing.  Just a small point, but I don't like dealing with that on principle, even if at this point my credentials can carry my authority.  Attaching my personal information to my posts would only prevent me from posting.

And chock full of people who copy and paste penises and pedo bear.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

One thing I didn't mention is that the new YouTube comments system made spamming easier, since there is no character limit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They could have secondary accounts, like most people have anyway.

If you are not okay with your name being attached to what you post, don't post it. That's the logic behind this.

I really like this idea

Maybe people would start being more human on the internet. (Youtube anyway)

People have had their names and personal info attached to Facebook for years and the quality of those posts is about as low as you can go.

Facebook is much more closed than youtube, while you are right, trash is still an improvement over septic waste.

Error: 410

One thing I didn't mention is that the new YouTube comments system made spamming easier, since there is no character limit.

I saw this person write a rant on PewDiePie's video (Was it the video? I'm just too confused with the new, terrible system) about how he is homosexual and old enough to have a "real job". 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Ultimately this is how I feel.  If you're not ok with anyone and everyone in the entire world finding out what you've said in a public forum (which youtube comments definitely are), maybe it doesn't need to be said.

I really like this idea

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I really like this idea

People have had their names and personal info attached to Facebook for years and the quality of those posts is about as low as you can go.

I saw this person write a rant on PewDiePie's video (Was it the video? I'm just too confused with the new, terrible system) about how he is homosexual and old enough to have a "real job". 

The part about being old enough to have a real job is true, seeing as Pewds just sits there screaming f*ck, shit and rape. I am not saying YouTube isn't a real job. I am just saying yelling that crap isn't one.

That's because people generally assume they're in a closed environment with just their friends. (I'm guessing)

Youtube is more public in this sense

The part about being old enough to have a real job is true, seeing as Pewds just sits there screaming f*ck, shit and rape. I am not saying YouTube isn't a real job. I am just saying yelling that crap isn't one.

I like him personally but I agree with you, he does sit there screaming constantly.

Ultimately this is how I feel.  If you're not ok with anyone and everyone in the entire world finding out what you've said in a public forum (which youtube comments definitely are), maybe it doesn't need to be said.

That depends entirely on where you are in the world. There are many places where you could be killed for your views if your identity becomes public. This is obviously an extreme edge case but the concept of a consequence remains, say you lived in a very conservative state in the US and you were homosexual/Muslim/etc that could hurt you, perhaps quite literally. I should iterate that my problem is not with people who want/choose to make their identity know to the public, only that forcing this has serious externalities that are rarely acknowledged.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Which is why people shouldn't treat public forums like it's their buddies' bomb shelter.  People have an expectation of privacy on public places on the internet and I'm not sure why.

That depends entirely on where you are in the world. There are many places where you could be killed for you views if your identity becomes public. This is obviously an extreme edge case but the concept of a consequence remains, say you lived in a very conservative state in the US and you were homosexual/Muslim/etc that could hurt you, perhaps quite literally. I should iterate that my problem is not with people who want/choose to make their identity know to the public, only that forcing this has serious externalities that are rarely acknowledged.