IPS vs 120HZ TN Panel ?

Go to solution Solved by edit1754,
21 hours ago, Galm said:

It's that cut and dry.  The top of the line TN panels nowadays are great.  Try the Dell S2417DG for example.  You probably wouldn't even notice it was TN until you go way off center.

@edit1754 should chip in on this as well I think.  

Yeah I think the real issue is that most of today's TN laptop displays are a very low quality type of TN used as a cost saver. It both causes confusion when someone says "I wouldn't recommend this laptop because it has a TN display" (the response: I have a TN desktop monitor and it's fine, and doesn't TN have its advantages?) and gives TN a bad name (in this case where it isn't widely known that the 120Hz TN laptop displays today are actually quite decent).

Inspiron 7567 low-quality TN display: 

d0UHmHi.jpg

Alienware 15 120Hz high-quality TN display: (same panel as used in the 120Hz Sager/Clevo models)

csm_15R3_38_8a13307a50.jpg

Not the best pair of images for a comparison, but you get the idea. The 120Hz TN laptop displays are quite decent.

Hey Everyone.! I am getting a Sager NP8157 with a GTX 1070. I am really confused about the display panel. I have never seen a TN panel before nor have experienced games at 120Hz. I went through a lot of forums and while most of them are totally against the TN panel, few including @Galm are supporting the TN Panel(in this model). Though those few also mentioned that even though its a good display, its not even a match to a poor IPS panel. I also do a lot of Web Development so I do need a good (need not be perfect) color accurate display. I don't seem to find any 120Hz IPS panel(Not possible ?). I am getting the 1070 because it comes under my budget(with this model) and also hoping it would play all games for a few more years than the 1060. So I am thinking of getting the IPS panel with the G-Sync and may be save some money and get a bigger 144Hz Monitor few months down the road. Am I taking the right decision or any other better suggestions.?

TN is bottom of the barrel tier for panel types. Would you enjoy dollar store cheese over freshly sliced cheese from a deli? 

Modern TN has gotten better, but it's still inconsistent color and horrible viewing angle. If all you do is game, it's alright. If you do content creation or enjoy media--go IPS or VA panel. 

IPS is so much better when it comes to viewing angles and color reproduction. TN isn't the worst but it doesn't come close.

Also: I don't believe it's G-Sync but Asus has a 75Hz IPS display if you're interested. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236758&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

30 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

TN is bottom of the barrel tier for panel types. Would you enjoy dollar store cheese over freshly sliced cheese from a deli? 

It ain't that simple man, not all TN panels are the same. And especially the AU Optronics IPS panels suffer from some nasty QA issues. It's a brutal lottery.

TN has lower viewing angles but sits between IPS and VA in terms of contrast. It is the fastest panel type.

IPS has higher viewing angles but has worse contrast due to the backlight bleeding and IPS glow. It's between TN and VA in terms of speed.

VA has moderate viewing angles and the best contrast. But is generally the slowest panel.

That is the general idea, but then you have individual paneltypes, and this XB271HU TN panel is better than the crappy IPS they stuffed in the MG279Q.

Cause I shipped that ASUS monitor back ASAP...

@naveenr2112 What is your budget? Have preferences for the resolution?

It's that cut and dry.  The top of the line TN panels nowadays are great.  Try the Dell S2417DG for example.  You probably wouldn't even notice it was TN until you go way off center.

I've had an Acer Predator XB271HK next to a Dell S2417DG before.  One of the best IPS on the market next to one of the best TN.  Sure the IPS is better but the Dell was an enjoyable experience.

I think it really matter how much color accuracy matters to you vs refresh rate and if you have a calibrator.  These people saying TN is crap IPS is great end of discussion are just wrong.  It's way more complex.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

@Galm @edit1754 How would you rate the color accuracy of the TN Panel in this model.? Is is good enough for Web Development. If So, I would be happy to go with the TN Panel.

9 minutes ago, naveenr2112 said:

@Galm @edit1754 How would you rate the color accuracy of the TN Panel in this model.? Is is good enough for Web Development. If So, I would be happy to go with the TN Panel.

Eh it depends.  It's not really what I would prefer.  If this was a work laptop I probably wouldn't do it.  I would probably get it and just calibrate it tbh lol, but for work first IPS is better.  If it's like web dev on the side it should be more than enough.  I'll have one in my hands soonish, but it'll be a few weeks unfortunately.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

21 hours ago, Galm said:

Yeah I think the real issue is that most of today's TN laptop displays are a very low quality type of TN used as a cost saver. It both causes confusion when someone says "I wouldn't recommend this laptop because it has a TN display" (the response: I have a TN desktop monitor and it's fine, and doesn't TN have its advantages?) and gives TN a bad name (in this case where it isn't widely known that the 120Hz TN laptop displays today are actually quite decent).

Inspiron 7567 low-quality TN display: 

d0UHmHi.jpg

Alienware 15 120Hz high-quality TN display: (same panel as used in the 120Hz Sager/Clevo models)

csm_15R3_38_8a13307a50.jpg

Not the best pair of images for a comparison, but you get the idea. The 120Hz TN laptop displays are quite decent.

@edit1754 That AW panel looks good.! Thanks for the images. @Galm I am going with the 120Hz TN Panel. I think I could manage web development with this. Thanks Guys.!!

6 hours ago, naveenr2112 said:

@edit1754 That AW panel looks good.! Thanks for the images. @Galm I am going with the 120Hz TN Panel. I think I could manage web development with this. Thanks Guys.!!

I think you should be able to as well.  Worst case calibrate the panel.  And then you get the awesome benefits of 120Hz smoothness.  I think you'll enjoy it!

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps