Is this caused by a bad GPU? Should i RMA?

Searbug

Hey, so ive built my first pc and have been using the intergrated gpu for a bit, install windows, so now i go and add the actual gpu (RX 480) and now im not able to boot to ANYTHING that being, i cant boot windows on the HDD anymore or a usb. But when i take out the GPU and use the iGPU, everything works again. Is this because of a bad RX 480? Should i try RMA it?

8 minutes ago, Searbug said:

Hey, so ive built my first pc and have been using the intergrated gpu for a bit, install windows, so now i go and add the actual gpu (RX 480) and now im not able to boot to ANYTHING that being, i cant boot windows on the HDD anymore or a usb. But when i take out the GPU and use the iGPU, everything works again. Is this because of a bad RX 480? Should i try RMA it?

When you power on the system does the fans spin and the motherboard light upo? If so try resetting the cmos instead while the GPU is installed. Had it happen quite a few times. Resetting the bios was the only thing that fixed it. Even setting the bios to use the dedicated card manually didn't do anything.

8 minutes ago, Searbug said:

Sounds dumb, but have you plugged your video cable into the RX 480 and not the IGPU?

9 minutes ago, Searbug said:

What's the wattage on your PSU?

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

1 minute ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Sounds dumb, but have you plugged your video cable into the RX 480 and not the IGPU?

Yes im sure thats its in the gpu not the mobo

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

When you power on the system does the fans spin and the motherboard light upo? If so try resetting the cmos instead while the GPU is installed. Had it happen quite a few times. Resetting the bios was the only thing that fixed it. Even setting the bios to use the dedicated card manually didn't do anything.

Yeah ive reset the bios before with it in and, yes the cpu and case fans spin and the mobo led is on

2 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Got a pint - checking cables should always be you first step... all cables :) Did you plug in the pcie power cable to the GPU as well? :)

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Got a pint - checking cables should always be you first step... all cables :) Did you plug in the pcie power cable to the GPU as well? :)

Yeah, the 6+2 pin pcie connector

1 minute ago, Searbug said:

Yeah, the 6+2 pin pcie connector

Ok then what about pc fans are they spinning? Gpu fans aswell?

1 minute ago, Searbug said:

Yeah ive reset the bios before with it in and, yes the cpu and case fans spin and the mobo led is on

Then your most likely booting into windows and just not getting an image. if you have speakers or headphones/headset you should be able to hear the windows start up sound after a short while of powering on the PC.

19 minutes ago, Searbug said:

Where did you buy your card and how long did you have it?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Ok then what about pc fans are they spinning? Gpu fans aswell?

All pc fans are spinning except the gpu ones, but they are those fans stop kind of ones

23 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Where did you buy your card and how long did you have it?

Got it off Novatech UK and had it for a month now

6 minutes ago, Searbug said:

Got it off Novatech UK and had it for a month now

So you never used it or test it out when you just got it?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, Searbug said:

All pc fans are spinning except the gpu ones, but they are those fans stop kind of ones

most gpu's fans will spin on startup so something doesn't seem right. 

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

So you never used it or test it out when you just got it?

Nah at the start i used it but i didnt know it had that problem