i5 4690K at 80 Celsius what the... is it okayish?

Hey guys, I am rocking an i5 4690K at 4.00 Ghz with a Hyper 212 Evo heatsink cooling fan but my temperature is maxing out at 82 degrees celsius (averages at 74-77 degrees).

I know it's too hot but is it okay if I only game like 3-4 hours per day? Well I game for 7 hours during saturdays and sundays but what do you advice? Do I need to get a better cooling solution or is it better to go water cooling? (which I avoid as much as I can). They said that processor is still okay at 90 degrees??!

Might be time to replace the thermal paste if you haven't done so yet.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

If you're concerned, a heatsink remount with new TIM wouldn't hurt. You could also try bumping up the fan speed for the fan on your heatsink, and maybe even the fans in your case as well.

Your computer will shut itself off closer to 100°C, so you should be fine. I wouldn't be too concerned with 80°C.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Seems a bit hot..

Did you remove the sticker from the bottom of the heatsink? Did you use thermal paste?

I'm running my i5 4690k with the stock cooler around 70c under max load, so 80c with a 212 evo with a mild overclock is pretty toasty.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

11 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Might be time to replace the thermal paste if you haven't done so yet.

This is just a new build. I used the "Dot" method when applying thermal paste.

What voltage are you running it at? Might be that you set it to a too high fixed voltage, and that's making it run hot.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Seems a bit hot..

Did you remove the sticker from the bottom of the heatsink? Did you use thermal paste?

I'm running my i5 4690k with the stock cooler around 70c under max load, so 80c with a 212 evo with a mild overclock is pretty toasty.

Yeah I agree it's freaking hot but I am 100% sure that I removed the sticker and of course used a thermal paste. 70c is perfectly fine and my dream. I will try to get some extra fans for my chassis or replace the fan of my heat sink with a more rpm fan and let's find out what will happen with the temp.

1 minute ago, nishank93 said:

What voltage are you running it at? Might be that you set it to a too high fixed voltage, and that's making it run hot.

I used MSI z87M gaming motherboard and run the OC genie to overclock. not much knowledgeable in overclocking so I rely solely on the features of the board. Did it cause the high temps?

46 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

I used MSI z87M gaming motherboard and run the OC genie to overclock. not much knowledgeable in overclocking so I rely solely on the features of the board. Did it cause the high temps?

Yeah that's not the most efficient means to overclock it tends to add way more voltage then it needs.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

49 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

I'm not too sure. Haven't used MSI's overclocking tool before. Run CPU-Z and check what voltage your CPU is at under a gaming load? Should be 1.10 V stock, and not over 1.25 V overclocked (you can push it to 1.30-1.40 V, but I don't recommend it for long term use).

Or a simpler test would be to undo the overclock and see if temperatures drastically improve. A 4GHz overclock isn't spectacular anyway.

17 minutes ago, nishank93 said:

I'm not too sure. Haven't used MSI's overclocking tool before. Run CPU-Z and check what voltage your CPU is at under a gaming load? Should be 1.10 V stock, and not over 1.25 V overclocked (you can push it to 1.30-1.40 V, but I don't recommend it for long term use).

Or a simpler test would be to undo the overclock and see if temperatures drastically improve. A 4GHz overclock isn't spectacular anyway.

Thank you for your advices nishank93. Really helpful! Excited to try it out later after work haha..

22 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Yeah that's not the most efficient means to overclock it tends to add way more voltage then it needs.

yeah I agree that's what my instinct says to me haha.

Thank you guys, I achieved 4.4Ghz at a forgiving 75c using manual overclocking. In this experience, the lesson for me is to never rely on any auto overclocking utilities. Period!

12 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

Thank you guys, I achieved 4.4Ghz at a forgiving 75c using manual overclocking. In this experience, the lesson for me is to never rely on any auto overclocking utilities. Period!

Yeah, I remember on my 2500K on my ASUS board...Ai tuner was like...4.9GHz at 1.55v...it wasn't stable either. I just let it do it for the lolz.

Ah, I would say thermal paste as well, but your build was new...Yeah, I got a used 2700K a few days ago and wow, it's been 3 years since I installed my 212+ with the 2500K...the thermal paste was dried up.

16 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I remember on my 2500K on my ASUS board...Ai tuner was like...4.9GHz at 1.55v...it wasn't stable either. I just let it do it for the lolz.

Ah, I would say thermal paste as well, but your build was new...Yeah, I got a used 2700K a few days ago and wow, it's been 3 years since I installed my 212+ with the 2500K...the thermal paste was dried up.

I am not sure but I think the 1.55v is excessive?? well that's sandy bridge platform so maybe it's not that excessive. I set my core voltage at 1.180 to run 4.4Ghz

3 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

I am not sure but I think the 1.55v is excessive?? well that's sandy bridge platform so maybe it's not that excessive. I set my core voltage at 1.180 to run 4.4Ghz

It is way excessive. I'm not sure what AI tuner was trying to get. haha. Also, AI tuner changed the BCLK clock too much and it made it unstable. Somethings you can't trust with software just yet...

Usually the safe limit is 1.4v for sandy, with 1.45 being the still safe if you keep it cool limit, but I've seen people running 1.5v (but they're the ones getting like 5.0+ GHz).

Getting a good quality chip is a lottery too I guess the reason why some can get as high as 5.0Ghz at ease.

I heard that Z270 chipset made by Asus has a very good/reliable overclocking utilities. Something to look forward too aye?

16 hours ago, scottyseng said:

It is way excessive. I'm not sure what AI tuner was trying to get. haha. Also, AI tuner changed the BCLK clock too much and it made it unstable. Somethings you can't trust with software just yet...

Usually the safe limit is 1.4v for sandy, with 1.45 being the still safe if you keep it cool limit, but I've seen people running 1.5v (but they're the ones getting like 5.0+ GHz).

Getting a good quality chip is a lottery too I guess the reason why some can get as high as 5.0Ghz at ease.

I heard that Z270 chipset made by Asus has a very good/reliable overclocking utilities. Something to look forward too aye?

38 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

What voltage are you using? I'm running a stable 4.4ghz on my 4690k @ 1.238V, around 63C under load, albeit with a better air cooler :)

16 hours ago, NotTayyeb said:

What voltage are you using? I'm running a stable 4.4ghz on my 4690k @ 1.238V, around 63C under load, albeit with a better air cooler :)

I run at 1.180v though my air cooler is just a hyper 212 evo

8 minutes ago, Kenneth Versoza said:

-snip-

Yeah, I don't know how good the newer ASUS OC utilities are. I personally find manual overclocking funner anyway.

I did hear that they improved it to be less crazy.