Windows says drive is corrupt, but it's not

Pachuca

I have w10 and a Seagate 1TB Expansion Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Model STEA1000400 and I was using it just fine the other day. Than I didn't touch for a few days. Plugged it back in and get a message that says K:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. I really don't think it's corrupt because I had this problem with the drive before and it was kind of on/off again until reformatting solved it, but I don't want to lose my data this time. Does anyone know how I could copy the data off the drive or fix this problem altogether? Before I received this message, the drive was showing up in windows explorer and showed the used/free space, but when I double clicked it the drive was empty. After trying it on my laptop I started getting that error message instead and now it won't even display the used/free space. Am I totally screwed or is there a way to fix this?

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Sounds dead.

it's not, if i reformat the drive it will work fine again. It's like a weird file I put on there or something. I'm pretty sure its a w10 thing. 

If a friend has a Windows 7 machine try it there. It's been know for a while that Windows 10 can screw drives up. (Source: MS forums)

1 minute ago, Pachuca said:

it's not, if i reformat the drive it will work fine again. It's like a weird file I put on there or something. I'm pretty sure its a w10 thing. 

then it's dying! use something like Crystal Disk Info and check the SMART info before assuming the drive is fine.

I had the same problem before, in the end, CDI (Crystal Disk Info) told me the drive is dying a lot of the factors were yellow. Reformatting did the trick for a while, but then the problem occurred again. Just replace the drive.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I had the same problem before, in the end, CDI (Crystal Disk Info) told me the drive is dying a lot of the factors were yellow. Reformatting did the trick for a while, but then the problem occurred again. Just replace the drive.

i don't want to lose my shows and movies... anyway to get the data off the drive first?

4 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

i don't want to lose my shows and movies... anyway to get the data off the drive first?

You could try and use Recuva and try to get it off that way. The options are having a 3rd party data recovery team do it, or if you know how to do it then use Recuva or try using linux and seeing if it can get the data off. WARNING: Attempting to do it yourself can damage the drive further, and unless you know what you are doing or at least some basic knowledge of how HDD's work then do not attempt on your own.

Brah, do you even Java?

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Reformatting the drive and finding it works does not preclude the fact the drive has issues that will just crop up again later down the road.

It's like reinflating a tire with a leak and claiming the tire is fine.

i tested it after reformatting and everything checked out solid. This same thing happened before that's why I'm assuming it's fine because I haven't moved the drive even.

32 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

i tested it after reformatting and everything checked out solid. This same thing happened before that's why I'm assuming it's fine because I haven't moved the drive even.

That still does not mean it is fine. You're putting a band-aid on it, and that band-aid will eventually fall off. All the symptoms you've described are ones of a failing/ed drive. You can try to get the data off the best you can, but either way get rid of the drive and stop using it. You're putting water into a leaky cup and expecting it to be there after a while. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

Then that means it dying Pachuca! Sectors are giving up!

The geek himself.

56 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Then that means it dying Pachuca! Sectors are giving up!

than how did it pass disk check after?

1 minute ago, Pachuca said:

That program isn't reliable. It's just meant to try and fix files, it doesn't send a cleaner to your house and dust the drive for you.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Please stop. The drive has CLEARLY shown that it is unreliable. If you know that it's not, then stop battling us for something you already know. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Please stop. The drive has CLEARLY shown that it is unreliable. If you know that it's not, then stop battling us for something you already know. 

the drive is only a few months old and as i have explained before i think it's some w10 issue that causes it to become unreadable because this happened to me like 3 months ago. I reformatted it, checked it, filled it back up, it's been running fine. Now it's giving me the same error. 

33 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

the drive is only a few months old and as i have explained before i think it's some w10 issue that causes it to become unreadable because this happened to me like 3 months ago. I reformatted it, checked it, filled it back up, it's been running fine. Now it's giving me the same error. 

Ok. Even brand new drives have issues. I'm having issues with a brand new 3tb Seagate drive. Sorry, but you'll have to accept that it's more than likely dead. That's the problem with mechanical drives. Sorry. 

Could you try a different USB port? Make sure it's seated in properly.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

On 2/7/2017 at 5:10 PM, Jamiec1130 said:

Ok. Even brand new drives have issues. I'm having issues with a brand new 3tb Seagate drive. Sorry, but you'll have to accept that it's more than likely dead. That's the problem with mechanical drives. Sorry. 

Noooooooooo!! Why!?!?!? Ok I'm over it now.. I'll have to get a new drive, thanks for your help. 

On 2/7/2017 at 6:15 PM, Soppro said:

Could you try a different USB port? Make sure it's seated in properly.

tried that and almost had better results, but still unable to access any data. Different ports showed the drive with data on it, but when I try to open it the drive is empty. I also tried getting the data off through linux, but the drive was not detected. Thankfully I didn't have anything irreplaceable on there, but spent a lot of time downloading. I'll just have to get a new drive and re-download all my shows :P