Nvidia to drop 4-way SLI on Titan?

TyagoDani

Well, that's kinda what I was saying, just because it worked doesn't mean it was supported. Support from nVidia would mean they would have to commit to it. So just to make it very clear: I don't think they ever, in any official marketing, have claimed 4-way support for the Titan. 

i think they have but just a tinny bit on the boxes. and yes, if seen from that perspective, 4-way is not "officially" supported

I can't tell if you're trying to argue that 4-way was officially supported or not. I'm saying that I don't think it ever was. It worked, but it wasn't officially supported. 

It's a bit like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2T5n2DfZw

It worked, but it wasn't officially supported

nice comparison!!! xD

that's true but neither amd or nvidia have really tried to make those configs really work

There are not many people that actually buy more than 2 of any card. So I guess they don't see the value in it or it's just really hard to get the cards to work all together. I think that its just very hard to pull off correctly. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I can't tell if you're trying to argue that 4-way was officially supported or not. I'm saying that I don't think it ever was. It worked, but it wasn't officially supported. 

It's a bit like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2T5n2DfZw

It worked, but it wasn't officially supported

Not saying it wasn't supported but I had heard from his source it wasn't 4 way sli compatible in a real scenario etc.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@TyagoDani

Hopefully within the generation after Maxwell which is coming soon 3 way sli is gonna bump up to 90% if possible

Don't judge me but I think multi-gpu configurations are required before I rant about this topic and I replied about having the true successor to playing 4K resolutions at 60 FPS won't be out till maybe 2016 or 2018 or after.

yeah... if mantle works has advertised, nvidia will probably only have three escapes: 1st is to make very very strong gpu's at a competitive price to equal a weaker amd one with matle; 2nd is to develope AWESOME 3 and 4 way sli compatibility and 3rd (very unlikely) is to also adopt mantle. i don't think nvidia is gonna develope their own... shoot i forgot the word!!! the thing like directX and mantle because then there is just gonna exist to many of them. hope that someone can remember me that word

I guess the benefit of running Titan at best was purely not for gaming and 1080P but at higher resolutions.

you can't really say that. the titan was nvidia's way to make some impact on amd and make them wake up and realise that they were (and i belive still are) a bit behind what they should. and also they needed a way to make profit on those gk110 that weren't being used. because they were not perfect, they couldn't use them for the quadro lineup so they used it on the geforce one. it was also a good way to "test", so to speak, the chips. and don't forget that titles like far cry 3 and crysis 3 are still under the 60 fps mark on 1080p (has slick refered today on the 780Ti benchmark video)

Thats why you require SLI since Titan had launched it was creaming AMD at all games. Although Nvidia got beaten up by Crytec and the makers of Far cry 3.

I use "require" in the event you want an excellent gamming experience

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

There are not many people that actually buy more than 2 of any card. So I guess they don't see the value in it or it's just really hard to get the cards to work all together. I think that its just very hard to pull off correctly. 

there is not that much value because 3 and 4 way configs don't get the same degree of atention has single and 2 way do. and if nvidia want's, they can make it work reasonably well with only driver updates in not that much time. amd would have a bit more trouble because they don't yet have FCAT built into the gpu's itself, so the frames would be not that consistant

For gaming, scaling is VERY bad with 3-way and 4-way SLI/Crossfire. If anything, at max you should do 2-way, that's it.

How will I be able to run Star Citizen maxed out at 4K with PhysX on now? Oh the humanity! 

COMIC SANS

For gaming, scaling is VERY bad with 3-way and 4-way SLI/Crossfire. If anything, at max you should do 2-way, that's it.

it's true, but i think it's gonna be needed with the new titles at 4K or even 2.5K if you want to play at max details and high framerates

How will I be able to run Star Citizen maxed out at 4K with PhysX on now? Oh the humanity! 

i don't think star citizen supports physx... isn't it an amd title?

i don't think star citizen supports physx... isn't it an amd title?

It does support PhysX,TressFX aswell as Mantle wich is just wierd.

RTX2070OC 

It does support PhysX,TressFX aswell as Mantle wich is just wierd.

oh ok then. it's wierd but at the same time plain awesome

I think 2-3 SLIs will be in an efficiency position. 4 GTX 780Ti SLI maybe can drive a few Asus PQ321Q?

hasn't Titan always 3-way sli'ed

Character artist in the Games industry.

it's true, but i think it's gonna be needed with the new titles at 4K or even 2.5K if you want to play at max details and high framerates

Not with the current memory bandwidth, SLI/Crossfire isn't going to fix that bottleneck.

Maybe with the 780ti 6GB/12GB, but we'll need to see benchmarks of those first.

Not with the current memory bandwidth, SLI/Crossfire isn't going to fix that bottleneck.

Maybe with the 780ti 6GB/12GB, but we'll need to see benchmarks of those first.

you mean bettew gpu and the gpu memory?

i'm also waiting for the 6GB/12GB 780Ti "black edition"

4 way optimization is not here yet, you can see on benchmarks of all AMD and Nvidia GPUs, that clearly show in games quad GPU configurations don't benefit at all.
I think is good they drop it from the drivers until they get better results.