Nvidia to drop 4-way SLI on Titan?

TyagoDani

so i was just scrolling through the nvidia's official post on the 780Ti launch gathering some info and i saw this chart where it says that the titan now only has support for up to a 3-way sli option. what is concerning me is what is gonna happen to the people that already have 4 titans on their system? and how is nvidia gonna implemente this? my take is that it's gonna be through drivers because that's the only viable way i see. are the owners of such a config stuck with old drivers or are they gonna have to do the .ini files hack before the update? btw that's how an overclocker on hwbot was abble to turn on the 4-way sli option on the 780's some time ago. to this date, nvidia yet doesn't support it officialy.

EDIT: sorry i forgot to post the original link. here it is: http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-780-ti

roqegGM.png

Edited by TyagoDani

4-way SLI isn't scaling well anyways - people with 4 titans can sell one of theirs, gain $1000, and probably still get the same graphical performance.

I don't think they ever officially supported more than 3-way... 4-way has always worked, but wasn't officially supported. I might be wrong however :P

I remember something similar is going on

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If you 4-way SLI any card, you're gonna have a bad time.

that's true but that stil doesn't stop people from doing it. and you need to agree that 4 graphics card on a pc look sick :P

4-way SLI isn't scaling well anyways - people with 4 titans can sell one of theirs, gain $1000, and probably still get the same graphical performance.

i don't thonk you can sell a used titan for that price. more like 800$

I don't think they ever officially supported more than 3-way... 4-way has always worked, but wasn't officially supported. I might be wrong however :P

they support it officially but not to the same extent has 2 or even 3-way configs

they support it officially but not to the same extent has 2 or even 3-way configs

Link to any official info on that? :)

Does that mean that a GPU with Dual GPU cores in SLI is pointless so to speak

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Link to any official info on that? :)

I want to say that....its shown in benchmarks from digital storm, OC3D.tv however I don't believe games benchmarking is totally the best.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

no link to that :P

if they didn't support it they wouldn't allow it to be turned on and they wouldn't put that on their oficial page tech specs. that's where i take it from

Does that mean that a GPU with Dual GPU cores in SLI is pointless so to speak

only if they release the 790 and if it has 2 780Ti's on it OR two 780's and they finally enable 4-way on the 780, because if it was based on the 780 and they did not enable it people would criticize them so bad that it would not even be good to watch :P btw, good point

Nvidia might stop supporting 4 way but they have not supported 4 way on many of their card. You will still be able to do it but it just won't work all that well. Having 2 cards interact with one another well is hard enough, having 3 way and then 4 way is really card to get all 4 cards in sync with one another. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I want to say that....its shown in benchmarks from digital storm, OC3D.tv however I don't believe games benchmarking is totally the best.

Well, that's kinda what I was saying, just because it worked doesn't mean it was supported. Support from nVidia would mean they would have to commit to it. So just to make it very clear: I don't think they ever, in any official marketing, have claimed 4-way support for the Titan. 

3 way sli doesnt eve scale well 4 way is just putting a $1000 piece of brick in your system

on average, this is how sli has been scalling for the post times:

from single card to 2-way sli, about 90% increase

from 2-way sli to 3-way sli, about 75%

from 3-way sli to 4-way sli, about 50%

4-way is quite rare and pretty much only used by pro benchmarkers or people with tons of money or even people who have like 3 2560x1600 screens. to one last card can come in handy and now with 4K coming, until the gpu's catch up, 3 and 4 way options are gonna gain some more users (not only on the nvidia side, but also on amd but they first need to solve the frame-rating issues on a more defenitive way)

Nvidia might stop supporting 4 way but they have not supported 4 way on many of their card. You will still be able to do it but it just won't work all that well. Having 2 cards interact with one another well is hard enough, having 3 way and then 4 way is really card to get all 4 cards in sync with one another. 

I love that Totaro <3 Bunny I think not but still cute.

Yeah I know. Erm I'm quite dissapointed still that there is no 4 way SLI now for what was the extreme GPU on the market 2013.

Well, that's kinda what I was saying, just because it worked doesn't mean it was supported. Support from nVidia would mean they would have to commit to it. So just to make it very clear: I don't think they ever, in any official marketing, have claimed 4-way support for the Titan. 

I believe Paul from Newegg at the time said 4 way SLI wasn't an actuall proper thing to do Although he did benchmark 4 Titans in minecraft.

that's true but neither amd or nvidia have really tried to make those configs really work

@TyagoDani

Hopefully within the generation after Maxwell which is coming soon 3 way sli is gonna bump up to 90% if possible

Don't judge me but I think multi-gpu configurations are required before I rant about this topic and I replied about having the true successor to playing 4K resolutions at 60 FPS won't be out till maybe 2016 or 2018 or after.

4-way never works, in fact sometimes the performance drops to below what you would get if you had 3-way.

Back from the dead....

that's true but neither amd or nvidia have really tried to make those configs really work

I guess only servers or people from a game developer like Crytec will have support for 4 way sli if Nvidia is willing to still have Titan 4

4-way never works, in fact sometimes the performance drops to below what you would get if you had 3-way.

I guess the benefit of running Titan at best was purely not for gaming and 1080P but at higher resolutions.

I believe Paul from Newegg at the time said 4 way SLI wasn't an actuall proper thing to do Although he did benchmark 4 Titans in minecraft.

I can't tell if you're trying to argue that 4-way was officially supported or not. I'm saying that I don't think it ever was. It worked, but it wasn't officially supported. 

It's a bit like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2T5n2DfZw

It worked, but it wasn't officially supported