Issue with Windows Home Network Folders

Hey Everyone,

I am having an issue with folders on my home network, when ever i make a new folder or change a name on the my servers drive from another computer, it causes windows explorer and the windows task bar to hang for 1 - 2 minutes.

As you can imagine this makes keeping my server organised a pretty laborious task, and i would certainly appreciate any light that could be shed on this subject for me. Naturally i have done some research on this and am thinking its possibly due to having too many files on the drive causing indexing issues? The drive is currently about 75% full with thousands of small and large files.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to give it a stab or offer any alternatives to my current setup.

A little more info:

Network - Standard 1gb with single switch and cat5e cables, Gets good transfer speeds

Server is - AMD A4 3.5ghz, 4gb DDR3 ram, 2Tb HD, running an older asrock gaming mobo (No Raid array), Windows 10 Pro

Connected pc - Amd fx 6300 4.5Ghz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, 256gb Crucial SSD, 1Tb HD, Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, ChilledChewbacca said:

Hey Everyone,

[...]

As you can imagine this makes keeping my server organised a pretty laborious task, and i would certainly appreciate any light that could be shed on this subject for me. Naturally i have done some research on this and am thinking its possibly due to having too many files on the drive causing indexing issues? The drive is currently about 75% full with thousands of small and large files.

[...]

Have you tried to replicate the issue with an empty or nearly empty drive?

That might get you either the answer or a way past this particular suspicion.

Also, if you're thinking it's a drive indexing issue, how come is this posted in a networking forum?

Thank you for your replies, Adding a little more information to the problem.

I'm connecting to the server through a windows network share using Windows file explorer, i'm using the servers own admin credentials to log in to it to try and be sure that it isn't a permission issue, although i still cannot rule this out.

The server, (and only the server), is using a static IP on the network and isn't responsible for DHCP, thats being handled by my router.

The issue only occurs on the file storage drive in question, copying, adding and removing files works fine and as expected, its just creating and renaming folders that causes the hang. I have tested 2 other empty drives and both worked fine, as is the servers separate Windows system drive.
The offending drive is a 2TB seagate barracuda, only a couple of months old, and only has light backup and media streaming duties.

I'm posting this thread in the Network section because the issue only occurs when connecting to it through a network (windows file explorer), the offending drive works perfectly when operating the server desktop directly or when using VNC to operate it's desktop remotely.

I only suspected it was an indexing issue in the first place as that's what seemed to make sense at the time and i had seen several other people suggest it in similar cases while doing some research.

If there is another section i should be posting this in please let me know as i'm very new to this forum and i apologize for any inconvenience.