Buy 550 full system or 550 without GPU and buy later?

Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
1 minute ago, Ethan Meskin said:

OK. I just think the CPU would last me longer, as for example a q6600 is decent for modern stuff, but a 8800gtx might not be enough. Essentially there is less difference between CPU generations than GPU generations

That is definitely true.  An i7 7700K will be a viable gaming CPU for a minimum 5 years.  So get it a year from now =D.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

720p low 30fps crap or 480p low 20fps crap? In AAA by not super GPU intensive games. And will valve games run fine?

Nope.  Make the Jump.  60FPS/1080p or bust!

550GBP is not chump change. 

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Nope.  Make the Jump.  60FPS/1080p or bust!

550GBP is not chump change. 

The idea is to essentially be waiting for a year, this is just an opportunity to have something to tide me over while I wait without wasting any money

6 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

720p low 30fps crap or 480p low 20fps crap? In AAA by not super GPU intensive games. And will valve games run fine?

Valve games will be fine they could run on a toaster if they could, but you will have to deal with 15fps or 30 fps 720p in AAA games which is unplayed and unbearable at best. 480p is no longer a option in most games or just won't work well with modern games.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Valve games will be fine they could run on a toaster if they could, but you will have to deal with 15fps or 30 fps 720p in AAA games which is unplayed and unbearable at best. 480p is no longer a option in most games or just won't work well with modern games.

performance seems okay, if I'm fine with low settings 720p which I am

5 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

performance seems okay, if I'm fine with low settings 720p which I am

Call of duty world at war?! That's almost 9 years old by now! Only two of these games are after 2014 and both couldn't play well! 720p 20fps isn't playable, it will give you headaches and make you dizzy as a matter of a fact. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why-video-games-make-you-feel-sick-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Regardless, it's up to you. If you REALLY need to save that 50-60 GBP RIGHT now get the other build, otherwise get the pentium.

Pascal laptops guide

41 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Go with the i5 + RX 480 (4GB) and leave the idea of a 2560x1440 display for another time... way down the road.

..or even:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£53.72 @ BT Shop)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£95.98 @ YoYoTech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£69.32 @ BT Shop)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  (£228.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.91 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £558.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 11:41 GMT+0000

...then save up for a 7600K/7700K and a CPU cooler.

Also just a quick note on that build, if YoYoTech can't get you the Z170 board with the updated BIOS or update it themselves, get a Z270 board.

Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

The idea is to essentially be waiting for a year, this is just an opportunity to have something to tide me over while I wait without wasting any money

...but you are buying now.  So your choices are 60FPS/High settings in almost all games, or terrible FPS/low settings in all games.

Not much of a decision if you ask me.

What do you get for the two real cores that justifies losing out of a proper GPU?  If your budget was not 550, I could see the logic in going with the iGPU.  You can have a high end gaming experience spending the 550.  Do it.

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Call of duty world at war?! That's almost 9 years old by now! Only two of these games are after 2014 and both couldn't play well! 720p 20fps isn't playable, it will give you headaches and make you dizzy as a matter of a fact. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why-video-games-make-you-feel-sick-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Regardless, it's up to you if you REALLY need to save that 50-60 GBP RIGHT now get the other build, otherwise get the pentium.

Ok, I just like the idea of a very powerful CPU and then getting a powerful GPU later. My friend might buy a new GPU and he has a 980ti tho, so if I could get something like that for free I'd get the i7

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Also just a quick note on that build, if YoYoTech can't get you the Z170 board with the updated BIOS or update it themselves, get a Z270 board.

Oh, wow.... how did I miss that.  It is a Z170.  ....mornings

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

...but you are buying now.  So your choices are 60FPS/High settings in almost all games, or terrible FPS/low settings in all games.

Not much of a decision if you ask me.

What do you get for the two real cores that justifies losing out of a proper GPU?  If your budget was not 550, I could see the logic in going with the iGPU.  You can have a high end gaming experience spending the 550.  Do it.

OK. What I meant is I've seen some people saying I should wait a year  to buy, but I don't want to wait with nothing, so the idea was better than nothing. I dont think I'll do that now but I was just explaining what I meant

OK. What I meant is I've seen some people saying I should wait a year  to buy, but I don't want to wait with nothing, so the idea was better than nothing. I dont think I'll do that now but I was just explaining what I meant

I know what you meant.  That 550GBP gets you a solid PC with gaming performance when you get a good GPU.  The fact that the Pentium is so cheap allows for something better.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£111.55 @ BT Shop)  <<Had to change to the Z270, + $20
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£69.32 @ BT Shop)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.91 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £573.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 12:30 GMT+0000

Option #2:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£53.72 @ BT Shop)  <<This gets an upgrade to an i5 7500/i7 7700, no K-Series.  The i7 7700 boosts to 4.2 GHZ.
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£64.88 @ BT Shop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£69.32 @ BT Shop)  <<RAM will clock down to 2400MHz, this is the best priced kit
Total: £527.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 12:31 GMT+0000

I know what you meant.  That 550GBP gets you a solid PC with gaming performance when you get a good GPU.  The fact that the Pentium is so cheap allows for something better.

OK. I guess an i7 is around the same price as the GPUs I was considering and I can still sell the Pentium. Again, if my friend can give me his 980ti, im obviously doing the i7 build

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£111.55 @ BT Shop)  <<Had to change to the Z270, + $20
Total: £573.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 12:30 GMT+0000

Option #2:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£53.72 @ BT Shop)  <<This gets an upgrade to an i5 7500/i7 7700, no K-Series.  The i7 7700 boosts to 4.2 GHZ.
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£64.88 @ BT Shop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£69.32 @ BT Shop)  <<RAM will clock down to 2400MHz, this is the best priced kit
Total: £527.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 12:31 GMT+0000

How much do you predict the Pentium would sell for in 2 years? Also both look good but I could probably drop the HDD and use my old laptops 500gb one to cut costs and maybe an ssd

2 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

How much do you predict the Pentium would sell for in 2 years? Also both look good but I could probably drop the HDD and use my old laptops 500gb one to cut costs and maybe an ssd

2 years?!? 

It will be a key chain.  xD

2 years?!? 

It will be a key chain.  xD

Ya think? That's what I use my pentium 4 2.8ghz for tbh. I still see g3258s around on eBay for 20-30 used, and that's a chip from 2014?

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Ya think? That's what I use my pentium 4 2.8ghz for tbh. I still see g3258s around on eBay for 20-30 used, and that's a chip from 2014?

I was kidding... it will do fine for office PCs and maybe even a light media center.  Maybe half the original cost, if lucky.  You would be better off using it somewhere than selling it.

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I was kidding... it will do fine for office PCs and maybe even a light media center.  Maybe half the original cost, if lucky.  You would be better off using it somewhere than selling it.

The £30 could mean the difference between a 6700 and a 6700k, or buy me a decent cooler

2 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

The £30 could mean the difference between a 6700 and a 6700k, or buy me a decent cooler

I suppose... but you will have new tech by then.  So it might not be worth even that.

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I suppose... but you will have new tech by then.  So it might not be worth even that.

Could I maybe buy a used GPU like a 750ti or a 460 with a 6600k? I just saw a good deal on a 750ti for like £50

5 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Could I maybe buy a used GPU like a 750ti or a 460 with a 6600k?

If you do option #1 (Pentium + Z270 mobo + 3000MHz RAM), I guarantee you will love the gaming experience.  The 750Ti/RX460 are not in the same league as the RX 480/GTX 1060.

Why are you so worried about CPU performance?  You get two really fast cores with the Pentium and they are Hyper Threaded.  It will be fine.  Spend the year searching for Skylake and Kabylake i5s and i7s.  The upgrade will wait for you, no rush.  ;)

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

If you do option #1 (Pentium + Z270 mobo + 3000MHz RAM), I guarantee you will love the gaming experience.  The 750Ti/RX460 are not in the same league as the RX 480/GTX 1060.

Why are you so worried about CPU performance?  You get two really fast cores with the Pentium and they are Hyper Threaded.  It will be fine.  Spend the year searching for Skylake and Kabylake i5s and i7s.  The upgrade will wait for you, no rush.  ;)

OK. I just think the CPU would last me longer, as for example a q6600 is decent for modern stuff, but a 8800gtx might not be enough. Essentially there is less difference between CPU generations than GPU generations. I'll do the Pentium or the i5 definitely

OK. I just think the CPU would last me longer, as for example a q6600 is decent for modern stuff, but a 8800gtx might not be enough. Essentially there is less difference between CPU generations than GPU generations

That is definitely true.  An i7 7700K will be a viable gaming CPU for a minimum 5 years.  So get it a year from now =D.