Is it worth it buying a motherboard with bent pins?

I'm on a tight budget and it seems like a great way to save money. 

The board I'm looking at looks like it had all it's pins bent in one direction simultaneously and never been corrected.

This makes me think that the tensile strength of the gold is still good and breaking the pins would only be possible if I'm not careful enough.

Am I going about this wrong?

Don't talk about stale memes.

Socket pins are very fragile. Don't bother.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

It depends on the price of the board and if you can spare the lost of that money.

If the board is dirt cheap, than I personally would give it a shot, otherwise since you're very tight on a budget, its probably best to look else where. 

Of course you can go for it if you want to take a risk of losing money, but there is also a chance you can gain value. 

3 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

It depends on the price of the board and if you can spare the lost of that money.

If the board is dirt cheap, than I personally would give it a shot, otherwise since you're very tight on a budget, its probably best to look else where. 

Of course you can go for it if you want to take a risk of losing money, but there is also a chance you can gain value. 

My budget is $60, the board is $30 but it normally costs $92 used on eBay.

Is it worth it?

Don't bother. If it was one or two bent pins maybe, but it sounds like a whole lot. You're never gonna have them all in the right place, I think

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Ermm no?

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

18 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I'm on a tight budget and it seems like a great way to save money. 

The board I'm looking at looks like it had all it's pins bent in one direction simultaneously and never been corrected.

This makes me think that the tensile strength of the gold is still good and breaking the pins would only be possible if I'm not careful enough.

Am I going about this wrong?

If it's more than about 20 pins, just replace the whole socket. 

Yours faithfully

32 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

If it's more than about 20 pins, just replace the whole socket. 

That takes soldering though, I don't have quite the equipment for desoldering the socket.

This is the damage though:

9qu7EdQ.jpg

zP4wFeu.jpg

16 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

That takes soldering though, I don't have quite the equipment for desoldering the socket.

9qu7EdQ.jpg

zP4wFeu.jpg

That isn't too bad as far as damage goes.

Yours faithfully

19 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That isn't too bad as far as damage goes.

Yeah, I assumed it's just a tedious fix, not a difficult one.

Everyone is telling me that there's a high risk of breaking off the pins. But if people are able to repair it (especially in the case of the second video since it's the same mobo) that means that the material's metal fatigue is good enough that it can withstand at least one cycle.

No one has told me I'm wrong on this, they just tell me it'll break so I don't know.

Sidenote: the far right side looks like it has a missing pin, is it just bent the other way a lot?

1 minute ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Yeah, I assumed it's just a tedious fix, not a difficult one.

Everyone is telling me that there's a high risk of breaking off the pins. But if people are able to repair it (especially in the case of the second video since it's the same mobo) that means that the material's metal fatigue is good enough that it can withstand at least one cycle.

No one has told me I'm wrong on this, they just tell me it'll break so I don't know.

Yes, that fella tried to fix the mobo and broke a pin off at the solder joint, not good. The motherboards in those videos are LGA 2011 and LGA 2011-3, the one you showed us damaged is an LGA 115x socket. 

Yours faithfully

23 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, that fella tried to fix the mobo and broke a pin off at the solder joint, not good. The motherboards in those videos are LGA 2011 and LGA 2011-3, the one you showed us damaged is an LGA 115x socket. 

Then what do you recommend I do?

2 hours ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Then what do you recommend I do?

Maybe don't buy a non working board, it's possible it could be fixed, or it might have other issues.

Yours faithfully

4 hours ago, Acorn Eyes said:

9qu7EdQ.jpg

zP4wFeu.jpg

Yeah.... just save up some more money and buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-LGA-1151-3200mHz-Motherboard-140-SS-E177-KR/dp/B013ALA6T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441738711&sr=8-1&keywords=140-SS-E177-KR

5 hours ago, Clearly Confused said:

More expensive than you think, I don't have DDR4 Ram

6 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Maybe don't buy a non working board, it's possible it could be fixed, or it might have other issues.

Ok so someone offered me a H81 for $30 including shipping. 

I still really like the look and color scheme of the Krait so I don't know.

I can't find any functioning H81s at $30 so it seems like a good deal.

7 hours ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Ok so someone offered me a H81 for $30 including shipping. 

I still really like the look and color scheme of the Krait so I don't know.

I can't find any functioning H81s at $30 so it seems like a good deal.

I mean, if that's your budget and it won't ever change, and you're confident and have time and skills, sure, go for it, if you do please post an update here, I'd love to know howit turned out. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I mean, if that's your budget and it won't ever change, and you're confident and have time and skills, sure, go for it, if you do please post an update here, I'd love to know howit turned out. 

Yeah I bought it, but I noticed that its ATX not mATX. 

So I'm thinking of fixing the mobo first, THEN buy a case. Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and buy a normal functioning H81.

18 hours ago, Acorn Eyes said:

My budget is $60, the board is $30 but it normally costs $92 used on eBay.

Is it worth it?

no. the pins r the only goddamn thing that must be intact on a motherboard xD

Would you buy a car with no engine ?

I mean i did repair some boards by replacing the pins, its possible, but requires lot of patience depending on how much the pins are bended and sometimes just won't works.. also sometimes it might work but could be missing some pcie lanes or could simply work fine if you repair it properly 

Better go work at subway for some hours to buiy the part new buddy xD 

6 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Yeah I bought it, but I noticed that its ATX not mATX. 

So I'm thinking of fixing the mobo first, THEN buy a case. Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and buy a normal functioning H81.

Wish you best luck sory for my late negative post

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

no. the pins r the only goddamn thing that must be intact on a motherboard xD

Would you buy a car with no engine ?

I mean i did repair some boards by replacing the pins, its possible, but requires lot of patience depending on how much the pins are bended and sometimes just won't works.. also sometimes it might work but could be missing some pcie lanes or could simply work fine if you repair it properly 

Better go work at subway for some hours to buiy the part new buddy xD 

There's a difference between buying a car with no engine and buying a car with a broken engine.

I just want to try out repairing a motherboard. If it doesn't work, I'll end up having spent $30 extra on a motherboard, not too bad honestly.

1 minute ago, Acorn Eyes said:

There's a difference between buying a car with no engine and buying a car with a broken engine.

I just want to try out repairing a motherboard. If it doesn't work, I'll end up having spent $30 extra on a motherboard, not too bad honestly.

I know i wrote something after that to apologize for late sory buddy GL hf its doable you probably will do it fine unless the pins r fucked up too much

On 2/6/2017 at 6:40 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

My motherboard has been going crazy, and there's two more days until the broken one arrives. 

Just to spite my motherboard I'm going to take photos with an $800 macro lens.