Intel Lake Crest Chips, Have more power that modern GPU's

Intel has released some additional information regarding their Lake Crest Chips. Intel explains that they will be aimed at the deep neural network sector, and that the chips will deliver and unprocessed amount of compute density that is much higher than even modern GPU's. 

We have developed the Nervana hardware especially with regard to deep learning workloads,” said Rao (Intel VP Datacenter Group and General Manager for AI solutions).In this area, two operations are often used: matrix multiplication and convolution

Intel recently acquired the Firm Nervana hardware for $350 million in August last year. 

The Lake Crest Platform will work in conjunction with Intel's Xeon Processors. 

Not only will Lake crest provide an unprecedented amount of Compute density, but it will also feature 32 GB's of HBM2 Memory and an 8 Tb/s memory access speed.

This will increase the parallelism of arithmetic operations for the chip by a factor of 10.

What do you think? should Linus try and get a few just because he can or should he leave it up to the likes of other, more qualified people? 

Source: http://wccftech.com/intel-lake-crest-chip-detailed-32-gb-hbm2-1-tb/

8 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

What do you think? should Linus try and get a few just because he can or should he leave it up to the likes of other, more qualified people?

Can't tell if sarcasm or...

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

12 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Intel has released some additional information regarding their Lake Crest Chips. Intel explains that they will be aimed at the deep neural network sector, and that the chips will deliver and unprocessed amount of compute density that is much higher than even modern GPU's. 

Intel recently acquired the Firm Nervana hardware for $350 million in August last year. 

The Lake Crest Platform will work in conjunction with Intel's Xeon Processors. 

Not only will Lake crest provide an unprecedented amount of Compute density, but it will also feature 32 GB's of HBM2 Memory and an 8 Tb/s memory access speed.

Source: http://wccftech.com/intel-lake-crest-chip-detailed-32-gb-hbm2-1-tb/

Isn't it obvious that Linus is gonna get like, $70k  worth of this stuff?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

3 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

and use it to line his feet and ask "how well do these processors work as shoes?"

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

1 minute ago, Vigilante505 said:

and use it to line his feet and ask "how well do these processors work as shoes?"

Or:

New LTT eBike???

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

50 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

For that much I think he might not even get one or just one this looks to be fairly big leagues stuff.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Of course, we haven't performance numbers yet, but it seems these hardware-hardware-software systems are the future of deep learning. If they work as well as we're being told then I don't see how Nvidia can hold on for much longer. Intel has Xeon-Lake Crest-Nervana, and AMD has Naples-Vega-ROCm.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Linus will be getting one ofc

Doesn't matter if LMG or all of it viewers have no use for it

Because Intel wants the publicity for their products and Linus WILL sing praises for the $

Smaller corporations blow millions on PR events, what is one chip?

Because  nearly no one in Linus' public will buy of those. The rare who do will do it because their work ask for it

9 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Same generic specifications for upcoming Vega GPUs, amount of HBM2 and 8Tb/s (1TB/s) memory bandwidth doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

And I think either wccftech or Intel has forgotten what the meaning of unprecedented is :P.

AMD-VEGA-20-specifications.jpg

When I clicked on this thread from the front page of the forum I was expecting something totally different.

dfsdfsdg.JPG

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

When I clicked on this thread from the front page of the forum I was expecting something totally different.

Not sure what you were expecting but it wasn't going to be anything amazing at 3am which it is atm ;).

9 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Can't tell if sarcasm or...

I would like to build a server with multiple CPU's to play pac man :)

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not sure what you were expecting but it wasn't going to be anything amazing at 3am which it is atm ;).

You're in the wrong time zone. It's currently 9am-ish.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:50 AM, laminutederire said:

Because  nearly no one in Linus' public will buy of those. The rare who do will do it because their work ask for it

You think of advertisement too linearly, but that's not how it works. It's not about viewers buying Lake Crest chips. It's about people buying i3s because they just know "Intel pwns computing!", just like nVidia was selling tons of more expensive GPUs before even having the fastest GPU in the market. Even some IT professionals will bias their corporate hardware purchases due to "brand image".

Same reason why car / motorbike manufacturers make Formula 1 / Le Mans / Moto GP / Rally /etc teams, despite no one in their audience buying those models+tuning - some are not even available for purchase (like F1).

So that's where all the Kaby Lake performance upgrades went.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W