Would Glitter-fying my fan REALLY be that bad??

Jonathan W

Alright so hear me out here...I am working on a "Hephaestus" themed build. Hephaestus is the is the Greek god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes. 

I was thinking of taking the fan from a horizontal CPU cooler [like a Noctua NH-L9x65] and glittering the fan blade itself like how Linus does in the Christmas build off, except I would maybe do an orange or silver glitter so while the fan spins and the RGB LEDs hit it, it looks like liquid metal or lava spinning.

But i'm wondering, aside from the mess of glitter [i assume that the glitter that spun off of the fan in the Christmas video when they finally turned it on was just excess and it would only fly off that once] would it be so dangerous to the fan I use on the cooler? I may or may not use the actual Noctua fan on the cooler but i'm just curious what you all had to say about the idea <3

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Depends what material it's made of.

If the glitters are some kind of metal or something else that conducts, it's going to be a disaster eventually.

Something will short out and it would be completely ruined.

However if you can get some kind of plastic glitters, you should be fine, would be a bonus if they can handle some heat, some random melted plastic somewhere wouldn't exactly be nice...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Depends what material it's made of.

If the glitters are some kind of metal or something else that conducts, it's going to be a disaster eventually.

Something will short out and it would be completely ruined.

Looked into it a little, i always assumed all glitter was plastic, boy was I wrong.

Apparently they do make a heat-resistant Polyester glitter and they even have UV reactant stuff...http://www.bulkglitters.com/fluorescent-polyester-flake-glitter/

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

Looked into it a little, i always assumed all glitter was plastic, boy was I wrong.

Apparently they do make a heat-resistant Polyester glitter and they even have UV reactant stuff...http://www.bulkglitters.com/fluorescent-polyester-flake-glitter/

Glitter is usually made of very fine metal crap :P

That's why, if you play with it, your fingers get a metal-ish smell like you get from holding coins.

I would say get some of the glitter you found, get an old-ass system and dump the glitter on it, if it keeps working, you are good! If it f*cks up, hey at least it wasn't your project :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon