Is it worth trading an IPS display over a TN with freesync?

elix9000

Hey I have these two monitors in mind:

TN Monitor(W/ freesync): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1204619-REG/viewsonic_vx2257_mhd_22_widescreen_led.html

IPS (no freesync): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1204609-REG/asus_vp239h_p_23_widescreen_led.html

Should I go with the IPS or the TN? This is 1080p 60fps build with a rx 480 by the way.

IPS. Freesync is a nice to have, but i would rather have an ips

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

6 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

IPS. Freesync is a nice to have, but i would rather have an ips

tn is really low quality, ips is generally better. 

Honestly my switch from a Dell Workstation monitor meant for color work to a Samsung tn from 2007 wasn't that bad.

Shipping sucks

Here is a Samsung "IPS" with freesync within 150€ budget, maybe you can find it in the country/store you are in as well.

Don't be too focused just on TN vs IPS, doing so will limit your choice... there are alternatives that are still way better than TN like Vertical alignment - VA(provides way better static contrast than TN and IPS) and Samsungs version of IPS is known as PLS and AH-IPS sometimes A-IPS represent improved version of IPS. With just a quick search in the same store I found many under 200$ screens that are way better than your pick.

Educate yourself a bit before choosing a screen that you will look at for many years. IPS/PLS with ~99% sRGB color gamut will give you a better experience while browsing watching movies and playing games while freesync will only work in games, so if the pick is just between the options you provided I'd go for anything but a TN. 

So expand your search to other types of screens that are better than TN. RX480 can also handle a FHD widescreen like this (yes you can get one in the same store :) for 179$)or 1440p screen. Playing on ULTRA settings on a cheap FHD TN panel with freesync will not look as good as a decent quality FHD VA,IPS,AH-IPS(A-IPS),PLS alternative or a good 1440p panel at high or very high settings. Keep in mind that your GPU processes colors of ULTRA settings (and any other settings) no matter if your monitor can display them correctly or at all. That is why 99% sRGB or better color specter(~72% NTSC) and a good color reproduction should be on your list of monitor must haves.

Here is what you should be looking for your FreeSync options in the same store.

Here is what i would pick for under 180$ in the same store (Widescreen FTW).

And this is what you are looking for in the same store. :) 

Honorable mention / Pick this if you can't get your hands on Samsung monitor linked at the top or you don't like the idea of having a white monitor that fits your specs.

Hope this helps :D

TL:DR : Read only bold text

2 hours ago, MuffinDealer said:

Here is a Samsung "IPS" with freesync within 150€ budget, maybe you can find it in the country/store you are in as well.

Don't be too focused just on TN vs IPS, doing so will limit your choice... there are alternatives that are still way better than TN like Vertical alignment - VA(provides way better static contrast than TN and IPS) and Samsungs version of IPS is known as PLS and AH-IPS sometimes A-IPS represent improved version of IPS. With just a quick search in the same store I found many under 200$ screens that are way better than your pick.

Educate yourself a bit before choosing a screen that you will look at for many years. IPS/PLS with ~99% sRGB color gamut will give you a better experience while browsing watching movies and playing games while freesync will only work in games, so if the pick is just between the options you provided I'd go for anything but a TN. 

So expand your search to other types of screens that are better than TN. RX480 can also handle a FHD widescreen like this (yes you can get one in the same store :) for 179$)or 1440p screen. Playing on ULTRA settings on a cheap FHD TN panel with freesync will not look as good as a decent quality FHD VA,IPS,AH-IPS(A-IPS),PLS alternative or a good 1440p panel at high or very high settings. Keep in mind that your GPU processes colors of ULTRA settings (and any other settings) no matter if your monitor can display them correctly or at all. That is why 99% sRGB or better color specter(~72% NTSC) and a good color reproduction should be on your list of monitor must haves.

Here is what you should be looking for your FreeSync options in the same store.

Here is what i would pick for under 180$ in the same store (Widescreen FTW).

And this is what you are looking for in the same store. :) 

Honorable mention / Pick this if you can't get your hands on Samsung monitor linked at the top or you don't like the idea of having a white monitor that fits your specs.

Hope this helps :D

TL:DR : Read only bold text

Unforntuately, all these monitors are out of budget, I should have mentioned my budget is 130 or less for a monitor as I have to pay for windows and im already quite a bit over the 1k budget.

Edit: I forgot to mention, is there something wrong with the IPS alternative I picked? 

Edited by elix9000

6 minutes ago, elix9000 said:

Unforntuately, all these monitors are out of budget, I should have mentioned my budget is 130 or less for a monitor as I have to pay for windows and im already quite a bit over the 1k budget.

Costs 15$ more and combines IPS with FreeSync... if you can't manage a budget to save up 15$ anywhere else in 1k! build you are doing something wrong.. get a rx470 instead, find a student to purchase a Windows 10 license for you (they get 50% discount), shop around for deals, buy everything from the shop that has good prices on more than one item and save 15$ on shipping, order from stores that have free shipping above certain amount... take a buss and pick the thing up at the store, borrow 15$ from a friend, begg on a street, sell something you have and don't use every day for 6 or more hours.. Monitor is basicly THE most important thing for picture quality in any PC build,  you are going to be looking at that thing even when CPU and GPU won't be working at 100%. 

Now i'm really interested in that 1k build of yours... xD

2 minutes ago, MuffinDealer said:

Costs 15$ more and combines IPS with FreeSync... if you can't manage a budget to save up 15$ anywhere else in 1k! build you are doing something wrong.. get a rx470 instead, find a student to purchase a Windows 10 license for you (they get 50% discount), shop around for deals, buy everything from the shop that has good prices on more than one item and save 15$ on shipping, order from stores that have free shipping above certain amount... take a buss and pick the thing up at the store, borrow 15$ from a friend, begg on a street, sell something you have and don't use every day for 6 or more hours.. Monitor is basicly THE most important thing for picture quality in any PC build,  you are going to be looking at that thing even when CPU and GPU won't be working at 100%. 

Now i'm really interested in that 1k build of yours... xD

My apologies  I never clicked on that link. That is a fabulous monitor too...now if only I have a samsung device that supported wireless chargingxD I wonder if they make type c adapters....anyway thanks I'm deciding to go with that. 15 Bucks will not kill me, plus at that store I get free next day shipping due to being geographically close. Thanks for your help.

Tn isn't as terrible as everyone makes out. Almost all 4k displays use tn panels.. they're selling well..

A good quality tn panel and an average IPS display could easily be confused. And let's face it half the people saying IPS is the best don't exactly have $1000 displays.. 

I moved from a 4k display to my x34 and I wasn't blown away like everyone claimed. Infact I noticedon't almost nothing.. my tn had vivid colours and great viewing angles same way my x34 does that cost almost twice as much...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

3 hours ago, Badger906 said:

Tn isn't as terrible as everyone makes out. Almost all 4k displays use tn panels.. they're selling well..

A good quality tn panel and an average IPS display could easily be confused. And let's face it half the people saying IPS is the best don't exactly have $1000 displays.. 

I moved from a 4k display to my x34 and I wasn't blown away like everyone claimed. Infact I noticedon't almost nothing.. my tn had vivid colours and great viewing angles same way my x34 does that cost almost twice as much...

Best decisions are always made after a good research and a proper comparison in person. A good screen is a good screen no matter if it is a TN or IPS panel. :)  

Depends on which models.

If you compare IPS @ 60 Hz vs. TN @ 144 Hz... Yea, it's worth depending on what you are doing, and what your preferences is.

i got myself a TN Dell s2417dg as new "main screen", to my IPS Dell u2414h.

don't regret it. Higher resolution, G-sync, and those 165 Hz are SO good.

If both have 60 Hz, or 72 Hz or something around that.. Nope, not worth. You get no advantage from TN, aside from not having ips-glow. Rather take IPS, as you do NOT need Freesync/G-Syncon a 60 Hz monitor, if it's only an 1080p Panel. You can cap 60 fps easy peasy  with even cheap GPUs with V-Sync, and you get your smooth gameplay.

But 144 Hz.. that's a different Story. If you do go for TN, then really make Sure, that thing has 144 Hz.

On 2/5/2017 at 5:52 PM, Darkseth said:

Depends on which models.

If you compare IPS @ 60 Hz vs. TN @ 144 Hz... Yea, it's worth depending on what you are doing, and what your preferences is.

i got myself a TN Dell s2417dg as new "main screen", to my IPS Dell u2414h.

don't regret it. Higher resolution, G-sync, and those 165 Hz are SO good.

If both have 60 Hz, or 72 Hz or something around that.. Nope, not worth. You get no advantage from TN, aside from not having ips-glow. Rather take IPS, as you do NOT need Freesync/G-Syncon a 60 Hz monitor, if it's only an 1080p Panel. You can cap 60 fps easy peasy  with even cheap GPUs with V-Sync, and you get your smooth gameplay.

But 144 Hz.. that's a different Story. If you do go for TN, then really make Sure, that thing has 144 Hz.

So if I am correct (please correct me of I am wrong) Freesync is not a big thing when dealing with 60-75 fps, only when it comes to gaming at 144/100fps as at those resolutions you tend to dip below those resolutions? So based on the information you have just given me, I would be better of with a IPS w/ out freesync for the better colors and what not rather than a TN with freesync? I had believed that at first but I thought it was a must have.

TL;DR Should I get the IPS without freesync since it will suit me better color and contrast wise?

On 2/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, elix9000 said:

snip

On 2/4/2017 at 11:33 PM, MuffinDealer said:

snip

this guy's got it. I could never go back to a tn panel. the color clarity and depth is absolutely stunning. and as someone mentioned freesync isnt a big thing at 60hz, it helps a lot when in crossfire however when youre at higher frame rates to prevent tearing.

125USD new and shipped. dell 23.8" 1080p ips display. pretty decent for what it is imo. you can also try ebay if youre really trying to cut a few bucks out but do so at your own risk.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-SE2416HX-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01717TLMM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=justin07c-20&linkId=482479d1a9c01ae4dcf32e8be0c91a88

You should be playing every game at 60fps anyway at 1080p with that card so no real benefit from FreeSync.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

To be precise, Freesync is good, as long you have LESS fps, than your Monitor Hz.

Fore example, when you hit 50-60 fps on a 75 Hz Freesync Monitor (theres an LG IPS Monitor with 75 Hz for 170 bucks~).

But: You can reduce settings a bit, and hit 75 fps, and cap it.

Capping 60 fps, or 72 fps or 75 fps is quite easy, so it's not a big deal if you don't have Freesync.

However, when you go for 144 Hz, capping that is difficult. Without freesync, you would either get microstuttering (VSync on) or small Tearing (vsync off). However, because 144 Hz is such a higher refresh rate, both are a LOT weaker than on 60 Hz. But still there.

Then, Freesync works good. Because if you ahve 140 fps, 100 fps, or even just 50 fps, it will remain smooth.

it's just.. on a 60 Hz monitor, you can get away easy with not having Freesync.

16 hours ago, MuffinDealer said:

21,5inch 1080p, 75hz , FreeSync 124,99$ This looks like a good deal.

It just went out of stock, although I would rather go for an ips for colour accuracy. Freesync is a plus but i dont think ill go under 60fps. I did want to go for that samsung monitor you suggested with the freesync and ips but I have to purchase windows 10. I was thinking if I got an oem copy I could save but I dont want to have problems with replacing the motherboard down the line.