Need to change my ip adress?

HighRez

Hello all.

I need to change my ip adress due to some gaming reasons (don't worry about it :P just help me out). I have an Asus RT-N66U, with comcast internet. 

Open to suggestions. (Please don't recommend a VPN: I need low latency to gaming servers)
Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

open cmd 

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

According to google when I search "my ip": Nothing was changed.

Just now, HighRez said:

contact comcast then. just ask if they can change your IP

idk

changing you ip isnt going to make your sessions any better ping is based off your physical location, meaning play on a different server if possible. 

bandwidth/network efficiency is based off you internet package/ISPs network, in wich case you need to either boost your package to the next lvl up or make some local changes on your network. ( limit bandwidth via router)

So unless you are doing it because you IP was blacklisted somewhere you wont see much of a difference from an IP change. 

playing with high latency is not so bad as long as the connection is very consistent.  

(BTW ipconfig changes the ip of your computer not your modem)

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 hour ago, HighRez said:

Hello all.

I need to change my ip adress due to some gaming reasons (don't worry about it :P just help me out). I have an Asus RT-N66U, with comcast internet. 

Open to suggestions. (Please don't recommend a VPN: I need low latency to gaming servers)
Thanks.

There are two ways I know of:

1) Call Comcast and ask. The issue here is the person on the other end of that phone call, could have an IQ of 3. So keep that in mind

2) Comcast gives IP addresses based on MAC address. What I mean is, when you receive an IP its least to the MAC address of the device thats connected directly to the modem. Some routers have the ability to clone mac addresses. So, it makes your routers mac address in to the same one as your computer. That might change your IP address. Technically speaking if a new device (mac address) is connected directly to your modem, it should issue a new IP address. Eventually the old IP address would be put back in to the pool, when the least expires. 

Good point about point @ITheSpazI. ISP's are assigned IP addresses in blocks. And Entire blocks and be blacklisted. If the OP is black listed it could be the entire range of IP's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If it's a DDoS attack, don't bother.

Anyone with access to a $5 booter can drop comcast's entire node easily. Pretty sure they only run about 1gbps to each neighborhood.

16 hours ago, HighRez said:

This will renew his local IP, not external IP. And likely receive the same DHCP IP anyway...

33 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

If it's a DDoS attack, don't bother.

Anyone with access to a $5 booter can drop comcast's entire node easily. Pretty sure they only run about 1gbps to each neighborhood.

This is inaccurate. Regardless of the strength of the DDoS attack, it'll cap out your modem at the profile assigned to the modem. If the node became saturated by a DDoS Attack, the subscriber would likely lose TV and Phone service too. The way they distribute bandwidth isn't to the "neighborhood". It's to the CMTS which may be fed by copper or fiber. Due to the recent deployments of Node+0, most CMTS' are being fed by fiber.

Finally... to answer OPs question:

16 hours ago, HighRez said:

Hello all.

Thanks.

You must change the MAC Address of the router, and reboot the modem (and possibly router too). Your router receives an IP via DHCP. To change the IP, you must wait for the lease to renew... (requiring you to shut down all equipment for a period of time) or forcefully change it by switching the MAC address. If you have an all-in-one unit, this would mean purchasing a new router and placing the unit in bridge mode or replacing the all-in-one unit overall. If you're in need of frequent changes, shop for a router (EdgeRouter series) that will let you manually change the MAC Address requiring a simple reboot to be back online.

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!

2 minutes ago, Remix said:

This is inaccurate. Regardless of the strength of the DDoS attack, it'll cap out your modem at the profile assigned to the modem. If the node became saturated by a DDoS Attack, the subscriber would likely lose TV and Phone service too. The way they distribute bandwidth isn't to the "neighborhood". It's to the CMTS which may be fed by copper or fiber. Due to the recent deployments of Node+0, most CMTS' are being fed by fiber.

Can you not read? I said even if he changes his IP, the node's link can still get saturated, taking him (and his neighbors) offline. Comcast is literally known for this happening during a DDoS.

1 minute ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Can you not read? I said even if he changes his IP, the node's link can still get saturated, taking him (and his neighbors) offline. Comcast is literally known for this happening during a DDoS.

I guess you can't read either, so we're on the same page. A CMTS will feed upwards of 2,000 homes, and in most cases are fed fiber. If the node were to go down from means of a DDoS Attack, all 2,000 homes wouldn't have TV, Voice, or Internet aside from local access within the CMTS being a violation with the FCC. Just because Cable is a shared medium, doesn't mean you and your neighbors won't have internet as a result of a DDoS Attack. In a DSL network, Fiber is fed into the VRAD or DSLAM, and distributed from there... same exact possible point of failure. Your logic makes absolutely no sense, and I'd like to see articles to backup your stance. 

Regards,

Remix

7 minutes ago, Remix said:

I guess you can't read either, so we're on the same page. A CMTS will feed upwards of 2,000 homes, and in most cases are fed fiber. If the node were to go down from means of a DDoS Attack, all 2,000 homes wouldn't have TV, Voice, or Internet aside from local access within the CMTS being a violation with the FCC. Just because Cable is a shared medium, doesn't mean you and your neighbors won't have internet as a result of a DDoS Attack. In a DSL network, Fiber is fed into the VRAD or DSLAM, and distributed from there... same exact possible point of failure. Your logic makes absolutely no sense, and I'd like to see articles to backup your stance. 

I don't have any articles. A few years ago I used to go on a teamspeak for a game community, and almost every other night a guy would get his connection dropped and someone would go on bragging about DDoSing him. Every time he got DDoS'd, 20 minutes later, his neighbors would complain that their internet got dropped too and he always saw comcast working on the street every day it happened. Your logic also makes no sense considering you're talking about ISPs having infinite bandwidth or some shit. The attack traffic has to go somewhere, and most ISPs aren't going to spend $50,000 filtering malicious traffic to their nodes.

I don't have any articles. A few years ago I used to go on a teamspeak for a game community, and almost every other night a guy would get his connection dropped and someone would go on bragging about DDoSing him. Every time he got DDoS'd, 20 minutes later, his neighbors would complain that their internet got dropped too and he always saw comcast working on the street every day it happened. Your logic also makes no sense considering you're talking about ISPs having infinite bandwidth or some shit. The attack traffic has to go somewhere.

If you come upon any articles, feel free to share them. I as a gamer have been DDoS'd on numerous occasions, and haven't dropped anything but internet. During this time xfinitywifi worked, as well as both TV and Internet. Upstream Providers can "Black hole" specific IPs or ranges. This is a common practice for datacenters and ISPs alike when DDoS Attacks come in and it begins to affect their overall bandwidth. A Black Hole will drop all connections to/from that IP source. ISPs surely don't have infinite bandwidth, but many including Comcast do have mitigation centers. Mitigation is generally only provided for businesses with Metro-E services however. Do they have infinite bandwidth? You're absolutely right, they don't. 

Regards,

Remix

2 minutes ago, Remix said:

If you come upon any articles, feel free to share them. I as a gamer have been DDoS'd on numerous occasions, and haven't dropped anything but internet. During this time xfinitywifi worked, as well as both TV and Internet. Upstream Providers can "Black hole" specific IPs or ranges. This is a common practice for datacenters and ISPs alike when DDoS Attacks come in and it begins to affect their overall bandwidth. A Black Hole will drop all connections to/from that IP source. ISPs surely don't have infinite bandwidth, but many including Comcast do have mitigation centers. Mitigation is generally only provided for businesses with Metro-E services however. Do they have infinite bandwidth? You're absolutely right, they don't. 

They're not going to use their expensive as shit mitigation farm on a normal DSL connection. Null routing also isn't useful for anyone besides the ISP because all it does is finishes the DDoS.

I forgot what we were even arguing about, so im gonna stop responding to this thread.

They're not going to use their expensive as shit mitigation farm on a normal DSL connection.

Absolutely correct, hence why I mentioned "Mitigation is generally only provided for business with Metro-E services however."

2 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Null routing also isn't useful for anyone besides the ISP because all it does is finishes the DDoS.

We're talking about Comcast... I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they did. There isn't any proof to back that up, so I'll agree with that statement with the exception of the Upstream providers have a much less saturated link.

Businesses and Residential connections utilize the same Node/CMTS (call it what you want) and when theres a DDoS, saying that affects neighbors is obviously incorrect. I mentioned it previously, and I'll mention it again. That would mean it affecting Internet, Voice, and TV servies (TV in some instances) outside the local area (confined to the node/CMTS). Businesses have an SLA. No way Comcast is gonna deploy service so prone to DDoS Attacks to businesses. I'm talking businesses which use Cable, not Fiber. Sure in most instances it'll be left alone, but clearly it wouldn't be looked past by Comcast considering the rates for SLA over downtime below a specified threshold. 

4 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

I forgot what we were even arguing about, so im gonna stop responding to this thread.

It's clearly obvious what the argument was about. Have a good one though!

Regards,

Remix