CPU upgradable!?

so, out of curiosity, i looked up if it was possible to properly upgrade the cpu on my laptop, (HP Pavilion DV6000, specifically DV6714CA). and it apparently is. it has a S1 socket (amd model) 

Anyone with experience with this know what the best cpu available that is compatible with this specific model is in terms of power?

I also hear that some DV6000s are upgradable to 8GB ram, but i think it's the intel models only

I want to max out this laptop as much as possible. see how much life and power i can squeeze out of a 10 year old laptop

even if you can put in a better cpu, you're still restricted by potential power draw limits and/or thermal limits.

and HP pavilions arent really known for having great thermals out the gate :D

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

even if you can put in a better cpu, you're still restricted by potential power draw limits and/or thermal limits.

I know. But i want to get as much as i can out of this, not just have it as a collectors item. i already plan on getting another ssd for it later on... 5400rpm drives are horrible

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

tdp limit for HP machines are generally the stock highest + 8/10w. 

thermals arent gonna be good though

idk

1 minute ago, DraconicFire98 said:

I know. But i want to get as much as i can out of this, not just have it as a collectors item. i already plan on getting another ssd for it later on... 5400rpm drives are horrible

to be honest its a really bad computer now an ssd would help a bit. if you want an cheap reliable laptop get a old Thinkpad from ebay for few hundred bucks. 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

tdp limit for HP machines are generally the stock highest + 8/10w. 

thermals arent gonna be good though

you're well aware that HP's pavilion and buisiness lineups are entirely different beasts right? :P

and HP... does weird things with their cooling setups, i can make my HP laptop thermal throttle by holding down the Z key, because that's where the air intake is xD

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

to be honest its a really bad computer now an ssd would help a bit. if you want an cheap reliable laptop get a old Thinkpad from ebay for few hundred bucks. 

i already got this one, and i'm sticking with my choice. i'm already currently trying to save up for a 4790k for my main pc, so i can't just go spending money on different laptops willy-nilly

besides, i like this laptop. wether it runs hot or not

Just buy a new laptop, it will get you a lot more performance and cost less than trying to find 10 year old super rare laptop components.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just buy a new laptop, it will get you a lot more performance and cost less than trying to find 10 year old super rare laptop components.

yeah, thanks. if you're not gonna help just don't reply

EDIT: besides, rare is what keeps me going at this, i want a functional rare item. like those people who end up using classic IBM laptops

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

its not even a collector item, just a hassle. my dad had one of these broke down and died when he accidentally dropped water on it, no one was sad to see this go. 

Agreeable - even a X230 would kick the shit out of this PC

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you're well aware that HP's pavilion and buisiness lineups are entirely different beasts right? :P

and HP... does weird things with their cooling setups, i can make my HP laptop thermal throttle by holding down the Z key, because that's where the air intake is xD

I know, but I was talking about HP's machines generally. They all come from the same OEM (Inventec) anyway.

idk

I know, but I was talking about HP's machines generally. They all come from the same OEM (Inventec) anyway.

but they're made to very different standards, coming from someone that fixes them up as a hobby :P

OP, does the system use DDR3 or DDR2 memory, and what is the current processor?

idk

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Hahahahaha!

What a horrible placement!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

its not even a collector item, just a hassle. my dad had one of these broke down and died when he accidentally dropped water on it, no one was sad to see this go. 

this one has lasted 10 years, no? and from the use i've been getting out of it hasn't been running massively hot. And i generally keep liquids away from laptops anyway

dear lord what is with everyone on my most recent posts telling me to just give up. i can't be into these things if i just give up

OP, does the system use DDR3 or DDR2 memory, and what is the current processor?

DDR2, and it has a sempron 5400+

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Hahahahaha!

What a horrible placement!

especially considering it's an azerty keyboard, so the "gaming placement" is ZQSD

that moment when you crabwalk to let your laptop cool down xD

5 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

yeah, thanks. if you're not gonna help just don't reply

EDIT: besides, rare is what keeps me going at this, i want a functional rare item. like those people who end up using classic IBM laptops

I help people avoid making stupid financial decisions, if you don't want to take advice you don't need to.

If you want to spend $500 on a 10 year old CPU that performs worse than a phone, then go ahead.

That laptop is so old anyway that some other part of it like the motherboard will probably fail in a few years that you can't replace and you will need to throw it away.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

this one has lasted 10 years, no? and from the use i've been getting out of it hasn't been running massively hot. And i generally keep liquids away from laptops anyway

dear lord what is with everyone on my most recent posts telling me to just give up. i can't be into these things if i just give up

we are not saying it as a bad way, please understand its a piece of tech that's outdated by a good margin. its poor build quality doesn't help along with poor internals. an old 200 to 300 dollar ThinkPad would run circles around that thing. 

I help people avoid making stupid financial decisions, if you don't want to take advice you don't need to.

If you want to spend $500 on a 10 year old CPU that performs worse than a phone, then go ahead.

That laptop is so old anyway that some other part of it like the motherboard will probably fail in a few years that you can't replace and you will need to throw it away.

in my case, it's still 200x more powerful than my phone. my phone can't even run a GBC emulator without running hot and crashing

in my case, it's still 200x more powerful than my phone. my phone can't even run a GBC emulator without running hot and crashing

what phone do you have 

what phone do you have 

samsung galaxy ace 2X, it's a handmedown

3 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

Sure? Only 4000+ exists and that's the max for the S1G1/G2 architecture.

idk

Sure? Only 4000+ exists and that's the max for the S1G1/G2 architecture.

what? i guess speccy read it wrong then, like my 980 ti with 2GB vram. the sticker claims it should be an athlon 64 x2