CPU upgradable!?

3 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

in my case, it's still 200x more powerful than my phone. my phone can't even run a GBC emulator without running hot and crashing

I'm talking about regular phones, the kind that normal people in 2017 use, that can actually run stuff without overheating and crashing...

Why does all the technology you own come from the previous decade?? xD

Do you also use horse carriage instead of car?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well please take what Enderman said into consideration. 

you missed the post-edit addition. the phone wasn't my choice

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I'm talking about regular phones, the kind that normal people in 2017 use, that can actually run stuff without overheating and crashing...

Why does all the technology you own come from the previous decade?? xD

Do you also use horse carriage instead of car?

yes. i also use a bucket as a toilet, and a lake as a bath. 

i have a bad reputation with modern shit breaking easily. i stay away with thetried and tested technology

what? i guess speccy read it wrong then, like my 980 ti with 2GB vram. the sticker claims it should be an athlon 64 x2

athlon 64 x2? there's 4 different ranges, use hwinfo64

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

athlon 64 x2? there's 4 different ranges, use hwinfo64

let me find a version that works with linux mint

1 minute ago, DraconicFire98 said:

you missed the post-edit addition. the phone wasn't my choice

i know, i was talking about wasting money on unnecessary additions to an outdated tech.  save money and don't waste it on the laptop.  

i have a bad reputation with modern shit breaking easily. i stay away with thetried and tested technology

everything breaks easily if you don't take care of it. 

is anyone going to be helpful and actually help me with this? i'm tired of being led away from my hobbies

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i know, i was talking about wasting money on unnecessary additions to an outdated tech.  save money and don't waste it on the laptop.  

everything breaks easily if you don't take care of it. 

5 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

is anyone going to be helpful and actually help me with this? i'm tired of being led away from my hobbies

due to ddr2 you're gonna get a turion x2 ultra max, and that's a 2.4Ghz DualCore with 2MB cache. Similar performance-wise to a old T7200 Core2Duo. 1100 passmarks. even a cheap used business notebook would smash that poor thing into the floor

idk

10 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

They are just saying it's a waste of money. Especially when you said you were saving for something else.

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

1 minute ago, Owlman said:

They are just saying it's a waste of money. Especially when you said you were saving for something else.

i can save for something else, and do this in the meantime. you know that's possible right. i can start with the smaller, cheaper things

i can save for something else, and do this in the meantime. you know that's possible right. i can start with the smaller, cheaper things

This might not be cheap though, the component you're looking for is really old and probably in short supply which can cause the price to be ridiculously high.  

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

This might not be cheap though, the component you're looking for is really old and probably in short supply which can cause the price to be ridiculously high.  

if it's so "weak" and "bad" and "worthless", then why would it be expensive

If he has a S1g2 processor, he can use a Turion X2 Ultra, which is $12 on eBay.

Except it's on par with an $3 Intel processor...

idk

29 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

yeah, thanks. if you're not gonna help just don't reply

EDIT: besides, rare is what keeps me going at this, i want a functional rare item. like those people who end up using classic IBM laptops

ibm laptops are not rare every god dam sys admin has at least one if not more if you want to be a special snowflake make a custom case for a non trash laptop

2 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

if it's so "weak" and "bad" and "worthless", then why would it be expensive

if there's a small supply of something especially when its getting old parts for it can be really expensive especially if some one is trying to maintain an old but critical system they cant upgrade fro some reason but yeah supply and demand 

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

ibm laptops are not rare every god dam sys admin has at least one if not more if you want to be a special snowflake make a custom case for a non trash laptop

Why? Because they're reliable. They're quick. They've got good keyboards. 4:3 aspect ratio on X61. Cheap price. Cheap parts.

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Why? Because they're reliable. They're quick. They've got good keyboards. 4:3 aspect ratio on X61. Cheap price. Cheap parts.

i'm not saying they're bad they work quite well i myself have like 6. but his objective isn't reliability his objective is being a special snowflake im pointing out that a think pad wont be the best for that objective since their quite common

7 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

it's not an ibm laptop... you must have missed that while joining in on trying to bash my hobby

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

If he has a S1g2 processor, he can use a Turion X2 Ultra, which is $12 on eBay.

Except it's on par with an $3 Intel processor...

the current cpu is an athlon 64 x2 TK-57

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

They've got good keyboards. 4:3 aspect ratio

an upside and a downside. i prefer 16:10 and 16:9, i can have more info on the screen

2 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

it's not an ibm laptop... you must have missed that while joining in on trying to bash my hobby

the current cpu is an athlon 64 x2 TK-67

an upside and a downside. i prefer 16:10 and 16:9, i can have more info on the screen

TK-57 exists

TK-67 doesn't

QL-67 exists

Which one?

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

TK-57 exists

TK-67 doesn't

QL-67 exists

Which one?

i fixed the typo shortly after replying. it's a TK-57

4 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

the current cpu is an athlon 64 x2 TK-57

"EDIT: besides, rare is what keeps me going at this, i want a functional rare item. like those people who end up using classic IBM laptops" this is you calling ibm laptops rare next time read whats being quoted 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

"EDIT: besides, rare is what keeps me going at this, i want a functional rare item. like those people who end up using classic IBM laptops" this is you calling ibm laptops rare next time read whats being quoted 

you don't see windows 98/ME laptops everywhere, do you. nor do you see the ones with floppy drives and the keyboards that pop out

from extra research besides the flame war going on here, i'm seeing that the TL-68 is a pretty good replacement

you don't see windows 98/ME laptops everywhere, do you. nor do you see the ones with floppy drives and the keyboards that pop out

well i see laptops from windows 98/me era all the time though they tend not to have windows on it any more usually arch or gentoo if you want to be really 1337 and the occasional debian or ubuntu but yeah you shouldn't use a laptop with windows 98 on so many bugs and security issues putting linux on it is the best bet of not getting hacked faster then you can say blue screen of death

4 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

i fixed the typo shortly after replying. it's a TK-57

Righty.. you won't see much of a speed boost. Fastest proc is a TL-68, a 500Mhz boost.

idk