Edge vs Chrome battery life?

These 2 browsers are the current ones I'm deciding on. I personally favor Chrome in terms of it's style and other benefits. However, the battery life is killing me. I use browsers intensively, averaging around 50+ tabs easily. 

What do you guys think? Is it just me? I did some searching on this topic and old articles also backed up this claim but it had been months now so I'm wondering if the updates had changed anything. 

Thank you all!

Opera. or Chromium 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

chromebook usually lasts around 8 hours.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

for me anyways

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

20 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

These 2 browsers are the current ones I'm deciding on. I personally favor Chrome in terms of it's style and other benefits. However, the battery life is killing me. I use browsers intensively, averaging around 50+ tabs easily. 

What do you guys think? Is it just me? I did some searching on this topic and old articles also backed up this claim but it had been months now so I'm wondering if the updates had changed anything. 

Thank you all!

Edge will get you the most battery life. Opera follows next. Then Firefox, and lastly Chrome with the worst for your system.

Chrome is actually not a good web browser these days. Sadly, people don't want to give any other web browser a try. What is funny, and shows you how bad Chrome is, Opera uses the same engine as Chrome, and yet it manages to be better in every single way from Chrome.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Edge will get you the most battery life. Opera follows next. Then Firefox, and lastly Chrome with the worst for your system.

Chrome is actually not a good web browser these days. Sadly, people don't want to give any other web browser a try.

Thanks for the reassurance. i think I'll be switching to Edge now, just need to get used to the UI.

2 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

Thanks for the reassurance. i think I'll be switching to Edge now, just need to get used to the UI.

Personally, I use Firefox on my desktop, and Edge on my Surface Pro 3. I use Edge for the best multi-touch and high-DPI experience and battery life (mind you, I am the latest Insider preview, I forgot how more advance/better it is compared to the official release. So if you don't like it, I say, give it another try after Windows 10 Creator Update is released in late March/April). I use Firefox on my desktop, because it is more advance web browser than Edge, and love the instant page load when you go back and forth when you web surf (although Edge is slowly getting there), but I plan to try Opera in the near future.

1 hour ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Chromebook is totally different though. It's software and hardware is much different than a typical Windows device

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Personally, I use Firefox on my desktop, and Edge on my Surface Pro 3. I use Edge for the best multi-touch and high-DPI experience and battery life (mind you, I am the latest Insider preview, I forgot how more advance/better it is compared to the official release. So if you don't like it, I say, give it another try after Windows 10 Creator Update is released in late March/April). I use Firefox on my desktop, because it is more advance web browser than Edge, and love the instant page load when you go back and forth when you web surf (although Edge is slowly getting there), but I plan to try Opera in the near future.

How do you get into the Insider preview edition? Is it unstable?

Chrome is actually not a good web browser these days. Sadly, people don't want to give any other web browser a try. What is funny, and shows you how bad Chrome is, Opera uses the same engine as Chrome, and yet it manages to be better in every single way from Chrome.

You're right how Opera is the better Browser :P 

But I'm too lazy to reinstall my 5 chrome plugins into Opera so ya know...chrome master race...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Overall which one would you recommend if I want the best battery life and performance? I'm assuming that if I dont mind certain bugs in Edge, its the best choice?

I'm going to have to say +1 for Firefox as a daily driver. The add-ons are good and the experience has been great for me for at least ~10 years.

I do have to use IE and Chrome in the work environment but I always recommend Firefox to the users.

50 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

How do you get into the Insider preview edition? Is it unstable?

1. Your account of your system needs to be a Microsoft linked account (can't be a Local account). If you do the switch if its not already, keep in mind that your account password will change to your Microsoft account password.
  2. Go to: Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program
  3. Click on the button to start to get/join Insider program. Windows will ask you to confirm with a warning about that the builds are beta, essentially.
  4. Restart your system
  5. Return to: Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program, and you'll see new options. From the drop down list, pick "Fast" from "Slow" to join the Fast Ring (latest Builds), and restart your system one last time.
  6. Check for Windows Updates (Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Updates). If nothing shows, wait up to 24h. You can try manually multiple times during the day, but within 24h you should get it. It takes to time to join a wave.

Usually, the builds are fairly stable. It is mostly bugs here and there you face... nothing major. Just post them in the Feedback hub app, and usually by next week with the following build they are fixed, or the week after. Under Fast Ring, expect new build each week.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is on Build 14393. This is the official build that everyone has.

Insiders Fast Ring are on Build 15019 as we speak.

Once you join in, keep in mind, in order to leave, you need to clean install your system to get back to the latest official release build.

Pretty much all the new features are out now in this build. So expect less new stuff, mostly minor stuff, with a focus on bug fixes, visuals fixes (color change, icons, etc). There is plenty to play with already, if you wonder. :)

Join in the discussion here, if you need any help, face issues, get informed of new build releases, and more:

49 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

Overall which one would you recommend if I want the best battery life and performance? I'm assuming that if I dont mind certain bugs in Edge, its the best choice?

While I haven't tried it yet, you can try Opera. You SHOULD have the benefits of Chrome without the tracking of your web activity, and increase battery life in both web surfing and watching videos. It might not the best ever in battery life saving (Edge), but at least you have balance between performance, experience, full web browser that has been in the works for ages (Edge is still new), and you have the Chrome engine running on the back.

48 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I'm going to have to say +1 for Firefox as a daily driver. The add-ons are good and the experience has been great for me for at least ~10 years.

I do have to use IE and Chrome in the work environment but I always recommend Firefox to the users.

My issue with Firefox is that development is at snail paste. It took them forever to make their web browser high-DPI aware, while it was already the case for MacOS. Sure you can see it takes time to adapt to Windows APIs and stuff, but no.. because Firefox uses its own GUI framework based on the open source project: GTK. The point of GTK is that it is a GUI framework that works on all platforms (Windows, Linux and MacOS).

It still has super choppy zooming, poor multi-touch support (like even trying to select text), has YouTube video issues with multi-touch (double tap to full screen a video works, but also selects all the text on the video and page), and more issues. It is like come on! This is stuff that should have been fixed 3 years ago, and virtually nothing is done.

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It still has super choppy zooming, poor multi-touch support (like even trying to select text), has YouTube video issues with multi-touch (double tap to full screen a video works, but also selects all the text on the video and page), and more issues. It is like come on! This is stuff that should have been fixed 3 years ago, and virtually nothing is done.

Sadly I do not use touch devices with Firefox so I have never encountered these issues. But It is great to use it on both Windows and Linux with minimal effort.

Friendly reminder that there is no reliable data showing that Edge actually gives you significantly better battery life than Chrome.

People have not been able to replicate the results Microsoft showed, and the people who are saying Edge gives better battery life are most likely using Microsoft's marketing material as their source (which is inherently not trustworthy).

Just use whichever browser you want.

21 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Sadly I do not use touch devices with Firefox so I have never encountered these issues. But It is great to use it on both Windows and Linux with minimal effort.

Yea. well every web browser has their ups and downs I guess.