Dell S2417DG Headphone jack

Le_haos

My Dell monitor works fine except the headphone jack. All the other port on the monitor works fine, including the usb ports. When I plug my headset into the monitor, there is nothing showing up in the playback device. the headset works fine. Does anybody know any fix?

4 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

My Dell monitor works fine except the headphone jack. All the other port on the monitor works fine, including the usb ports. When I plug my headset into the monitor, there is nothing showing up in the playback device. the headset works fine. Does anybody know any fix?

That's 3.5mm in. Uses as a built in monitor speaker. You don't get sound from a monitor 

Try searching in the monitors built in settings, maybe you need to enable it or turn the volume up...

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

If it is an output, you'd have to use hdmi to connect the monitor and use the hdmi sound source as your default output device on the computer.   Or maybe it's done as an external USB sound card
That being said, I agree with plug the headset into the computer.  The microphone likely won't work with the monitor.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

39 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's 3.5mm in. Uses as a built in monitor speaker. You don't get sound from a monitor 

on the user's guide, it is labeled as headphone-out, and there is no build in speaker

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't plug your headset into the monitor plugged it into your computer. 

I agreed, and it is what I am doing right now, but It just bother me that the headphone jack doesn't work

45 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

I totally agree. in fact, my headset is plugged into the computer, but It just bothers me that the headphone jack doesn't work

1 minute ago, Le_haos said:

I agreed, and it is what I am doing right now, but It just bother me that the headphone jack doesn't work

its probably a audio out from hdmi or dispaly port.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

its probably a audio out from hdmi or dispaly port.

I am using DisplayPort, and there is still no sound. i am going through monitor setting right now

3 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

I am using DisplayPort, and there is still no sound. i am going through monitor setting right now

what is the audo output setting in the os?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what is the audo output setting in the os?

in the playback devices, this is only my headset and speakers. both are connected to the computer. and neither or them is recognized when I plug them into the monitor.

7 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

in the playback devices, this is only my headset and speakers. both are connected to the computer. and neither or them is recognized when I plug them into the monitor.

you have to set the audio out to the display port or hdmi

6 hours ago, Le_haos said:

on the user's guide, it is labeled as headphone-out, and there is no build in speaker

How did you connect the monitor to the PC?

9 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How did you connect the monitor to the PC?

using displayport

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you have to set the audio out to the display port or hdmi

but there is not even an option for that

2 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

using displayport

Dp should carry audio. Check some monitor settings or audio settings. No idea

12 hours ago, Le_haos said:

Your monitor should be listed in Playback Devices for you to be able to select it. My Samsung monitor is, just tried it, works fine, with both PC and PS4. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Your monitor should be listed in Playback Devices for you to be able to select it. My Samsung monitor is, just tried it, works fine, with both PC and PS4. 

the real problem is my monitor isn't listed as an option in the playback device. I use displayport cable to connect the pc to the monitor, which is supposed to carry both image and sound

9 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

the real problem is my monitor isn't listed as an option in the playback device. I use displayport cable to connect the pc to the monitor, which is supposed to carry both image and sound

Could you try HDMI or a different DP cable?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It wont pop up cuz drive different. HDMI and DP use GPU drive, and all the jacks use audio driver. You have to change it in the sound section. If you don't know witch one you should chose, right click the device then chose test.

i try a different hdmi cable, doesn't work. i use the displayport cable on another monitor with build-in speakers, it works fine. i mean, i am not gonna use the headphone jack on my monitor, it is just really annoyed me that it doesn't work.

11 minutes ago, Dango said:

It wont pop up cuz drive different. HDMI and DP use GPU drive, and all the jacks use audio driver. You have to change it in the sound section. If you don't know witch one you should chose, right click the device then chose test.

do you mind walk me through the instruction in detail, i am not really following. Sorry

46 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Could you try HDMI or a different DP cable?

i try a different hdmi cable, doesn't work. i use the displayport cable on another monitor with build-in speakers, it works fine. i mean, i am not gonna use the headphone jack on my monitor, it is just really annoyed me that it doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

do you mind walk me through the instruction in detail, i am not really following. Sorry

Right click the Speaker on your task bar. Chose Playback Device.

Find the one that you want to chose then right click and chose Test to make sure its the correct one. If so, set it as default device.