I just delidded a soldered CPU

I decided to try delidding my old E6400 for shits and giggles using the vice method. It turns out the solder intel uses is actually REALLY soft. You can deform it with your fingernails. Kind of like gallium. I'm amazed that the CPU still works after I took a dremel to it to polish the DIE...

IMG_0485[1].JPG

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

@Oshino Shinobu It's a socket I dremeled out of a dead motherboard for demonstration purposes :D Other than that it looks pretty cool :P

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

@Oshino Shinobu It's a socket I dremeled out of a dead motherboard for demonstration purposes :D Other than that it looks pretty cool :P

The safer way to do this is to use a blowtorch, get it hot enough and peel the IHS off, then let it cool. But that requires a blowtorch :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

@TheRandomness I wouldn't consider it safer since there are extremely high temperatures involved which can kill your CPU in an instant :P Other than that I actually delidded two soldered P4s today and both of them still work :D 

3 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

@TheRandomness I wouldn't consider it safer since there are extremely high temperatures involved which can kill your CPU in an instant :P Other than that I actually delidded two soldered P4s today and both of them still work :D 

I think he means how to remove the socket from a motherboard, not how to de-lid

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@RadiatingLight It's from a dead bad axe motherboard :P I thought it'd look pretty cool to free it from its PCB prison

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I think he means how to remove the socket from a motherboard, not how to de-lid

no, actually that suggestion was for the CPU. The temperature won't kill the CPU, the solder has to be "melted" at high enough temperatures to be installed in the first place and all the CPUs are fine after going through that ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul I know. But a blowtorch isn't like controllable at all

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

no, actually that suggestion was for the CPU. The temperature won't kill the CPU, the solder has to be "melted" at high enough temperatures to be installed in the first place and all the CPUs are fine after going through that ;)

they don't usually use a blowtorch for that though.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

they don't usually use a blowtorch for that though.

for some C2D and C2Q, yes, we used to actually! xD

EDIT : from a famous guide;

Soldered IHS Removal Solution

[...]

9. Grab a torch if you have one, if not use a lighter with a large flame (the torch will work MUCH faster and better). Hold the CPU with the IHS facing down or rest it against an object. Never ever leave the razor wedged between the IHS and PCB for "support", thats giving the solder too much pressure and when it lets go will most likely let go with part of the die still attached to it, let it melt the slow way with no pressure on it while its heating up. Carefully and quickly move the torch/lighter across the IHS at a distance of about 2-3CM depending on size of flame. Be extremely carefull not to melt the PCB and make sure you move the flame across the IHS once per second, NEVER hold the flame on the IHS or even near the CPU, you will damage it very quickly.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul I feel much safer using the vice method. I don't have the most stable hands and I don't like razorblades either. 

37 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

But that requires a blowtorch :P

I'd imagine most people delidding a soldered IHS have a MAPP Bernzomatic to roast the pot for overclocking anyway.