How illegal is this?

CharminUltraStrong
3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I do it because it is fun, of course there are benefits behind it.  It's not even a matter of their being a point or not, I'm testing my skills mainly.  It'd be fun, at least for me, to mess around.

As I said, they'll have backups to restore everything you'd delete. And what's "fun" for you is consequently hours of work and lost money for people maintaining this site, who can even be a hosting company that haven't asked for anything and are just doing their job to host and protect the website.

This is the digital equivalency of scattering trash in the street while garbage collection workers are collecting it. The difference being that instead of getting beaten up by said workers, you'd get a lawsuit.

You've proven your skills by breaking their security, don't let it be about hubris.

[Insert smart comment here]

1 minute ago, jldjul said:

As I said, they'll have backups to restore everything you'd delete. And what's "fun" for you is consequently hours of work and lost money for people maintaining this site, who can even be a hosting company that haven't asked for anything and are just doing their job to host and protect the website.

This is the digital equivalency of scattering trash in the street while garbage collection workers are collecting it. The difference being that instead of getting beaten up by said workers, you'd get a lawsuit.

You've proven your skills by breaking their security, don't let it be about hubris.

Well, they publish copyrighted films and they're quite recent.  I contacted them and notified them that what they were doing was wrong.  They told me to stop barking on the front porch, or so to speak, so I talked to their service provider. They said, and quote, "There is no evidence of <insert website here> encouraging, posting or even providing links to databases of free movies".

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

55 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

How illegal would it be to,

Obtain a moderators log in information(NOT ON LINUS TECH TIPS, on a site that I use)

Use the account to delete posts on the site,

Remove their experience etc.

Also, if it were to cause the site to crash from the immense stress of a mass deletion is that illegal?

by optaining mod logins. you mean you become mod or you steal information ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

by optaining mod logins. you mean you become mod or you steal information ?

I gain access to their accounts and use their accounts as if I were them.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Here in Canada, such an action would be 'Unauthorised Use of Computer; in the Canadian Criminal Code.

Unauthorized use of computer
342.1 (1) Every one who, fraudulently and without colour of right,

(a) obtains, directly or indirectly, any computer service,
(b) by means of an electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device, intercepts or causes to be intercepted, directly or indirectly, any function of a computer system,
(c) uses or causes to be used, directly or indirectly, a computer system with intent to commit an offence under paragraph (a) or (b) or an offence under section 430 in relation to data or a computer system, or
(d) uses, possesses, traffics in or permits another person to have access to a computer password that would enable a person to commit an offence under paragraph (a), (b) or (c) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Just now, jldjul said:

Meanwhile, on the Network subforum :

LOL, that's actually quite funny.  You've got a good sense of humor!

The Louvre

First word to come to mind after reading op first post was - stupid.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, v0nn_toaster said:

its not "illegal"

but its a SUPER dick move

just dont...

Actually, yes, that would be considered a Cyber crime in the US, and many other nations. A judge might call it "hacking", but it's hacking in the "Social Engineering" sense, not in the "typing code to break through security" sense.

1 hour ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

How illegal would it be to,

Obtain a moderators log in information(NOT ON LINUS TECH TIPS, on a site that I use)

Use the account to delete posts on the site,

Remove their experience etc.

Also, if it were to cause the site to crash from the immense stress of a mass deletion is that illegal?

TL;DR, yes it's illegal. No, please don't do it. You would be an asshole, and if they decided to take you to court, you could be prosecuted, depending on where you live, where the server is hosted, and where the owners of the server live.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Locked.

As others mentioned it's illegal and as such can't be discussed here.

For those interested, it's covered by the 18 U.S. Code § 1030 (Fraud and related activity in connection with computers)

And it's illegal in Canada also as mentioned here:

I'm sure other countries have similar laws in place regarding such activities and other forums might be better suited for this.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !