Video Rig or Handheld stabilizer

anonvx

Hi, I just wanted to see what people prefer or what is better for the money. I plan to use them for walking shots on somewhat uneven ground and want to get the most stable shot possible. I plan on using a Panasonic G85.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WUCRVD0/ref=twister_B01M9FSJN6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019W91U7G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1S6DN9CWABV5F&coliid=I2QV9QN938W3N

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

The stabilizer will give you smoother shots, but if its a lot of weight to carry around. But with that said i'm not a video camera expert

I know Brandon (LTT camera guy) talked about the advantages and disadvantages of a video rig in this video: 

1 hour ago, anonvx said:

Hi, I just wanted to see what people prefer or what is better for the money. I plan to use them for walking shots on somewhat uneven ground and want to get the most stable shot possible.

You can get stable shots with a shoulder rig if you move carefully, a handheld stabilizer can also provide stable shots.  It all depends on the level of smoothness you want.  I use both motorized stabilization systems and mechanical stabilization systems with a spring arm and vest.

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

They chose that setup to prevent their arms from getting tired quickly by supporting a weighty camera rig.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

42 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You can get stable shots with a shoulder rig if you move carefully, a handheld stabilizer can also provide stable shots.  It all depends on the level of smoothness you want.  I use both motorized stabilization systems and mechanical stabilization systems with a spring arm and vest.

They chose that setup to prevent their arms from getting tired quickly by supporting a weighty camera rig.

I know that, but in the video he talks about all the different types of rigs and setups hes used, and one of them was a shoulder rig (Not the on in the thumbnail)

You can get a handheld mechanical stabilizer fairly cheap and they do a great job. In my opinion shoulder rigs are great for News style projects, where it's not about getting a narrative across. Productions like LTT coverage of CES like to use shoulder rigs because they are easy to shoot with for long periods of time, get real stable footage while still being very mobile, and you can put a lot of gear on it easily. Cheap mechanical stabilizers can only really hold a couple pieces of gear before it get's to be hard to use, it's very stressful on your arm so shooting things like interviews are really hard, where you could be shooting continuously for 10-20 minutes. But if you're shooting a narrative story where you can rest between takes/angles the smoother image from a stabilizer will help keep the viewer engaged with the content. 

On 1/28/2017 at 4:12 AM, zdog16 said:

You can get a handheld mechanical stabilizer fairly cheap and they do a great job. In my opinion shoulder rigs are great for News style projects, where it's not about getting a narrative across. Productions like LTT coverage of CES like to use shoulder rigs because they are easy to shoot with for long periods of time, get real stable footage while still being very mobile, and you can put a lot of gear on it easily. Cheap mechanical stabilizers can only really hold a couple pieces of gear before it get's to be hard to use, it's very stressful on your arm so shooting things like interviews are really hard, where you could be shooting continuously for 10-20 minutes. But if you're shooting a narrative story where you can rest between takes/angles the smoother image from a stabilizer will help keep the viewer engaged with the content. 

Not only that but also in terms of scene motion, things can be different between using a shoulder rig, handheld mechanical stabilizer or even an electronic motorized one.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins