can I use 4+4 pin psu cable on 8pin cpu?

Wheeljack699

So the psu that i'm planning to buy has a cable that has 4+4pin cpu cable and the cpu has 8pin on the mobo a stupid question I know but I'm just making sure everything will work fine

1 minute ago, Wheeljack699 said:

So the psu that i'm planning to buy has a cable that has 4+4pin cpu cable and the cpu has 8pin on the mobo a stupid question I know but I'm just making sure everything will work fine

Yes they are designed to split apart for 4 pin motherboards and combine for 8 pin EPS (CPU) connectors.

Yes, just make sure you're connecting it to the right socket on the power supply - cpu power is different from pcie power.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes they are designed to split apart for 4 pin motherboards and combine for 8 pin EPS (CPU) connectors.

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes, just make sure you're connecting it to the right socket on the power supply - cpu power is different from pcie power.

Alright thank you guys :)

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

you shouldn't be able to plug in a cpu power cord into a pci-e slot on the PSU as they ahve different config ports. But the other way around yes you should check that you're not trying to plug in a pci-e 8 port plug into a cpu power socket. I think that's what you meant anyway, I was just clarifying for the OP and anyone else that thought you could plug a pci-e cord into a cpu power cords outlet on the PSU side.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

you shouldn't be able to plug in a cpu power cord into a pci-e slot on the PSU as they ahve different config ports. But the other way around yes you should check that you're not trying to plug in a pci-e 8 port plug into a cpu power socket. I think that's what you meant anyway, I was just clarifying for the OP and anyone else that thought you could plug a pci-e cord into a cpu power cords outlet on the PSU side.

That's true, but it's always better to specify before someone tries to force it in.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Wheeljack699 said:

You should use the 4+4 pin connection for your CPU. Although your CPU could likely run off just 4 of those pins, why not plug both in, ya know? It's for redundancy iirc

Just make sure that, if the PSU is modular that you plug the correct end of the cable into the PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||