gtx 1060 or rx 480

budgetguy

i can't choose between an rx 480 or gtx 1060.

i found the gigabyte g1 gaming for a good price on both sides

rx 480: 260 euro

gtx 1060: 310 euro

are these card good?

what schould i take amd or nvidia i want to be good for like 4/5 years.

i play cs:go now but i want to play overwatch and maby titanfall 2 when i have my pc.

specs(i don't have them yet):

i5 7600

msi b150 pc mate atx mobo

seasonic m12ll evo 520w psu

corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2133mhz cl 13

WD blue 1tb hdd

I would get the 1060 as it should keep you good for quite a while. Maybe not 4 or 5 years but long enough. Just dont try any thing past 1080p

3GB 1060<4GB RX480

8GB RX480=6GB 1060

Sooooo yeah, get which ever one is cheaper (in the case of the 8GB RX480 and 6GB 1060)

3 minutes ago, budgetguy said:

gigabyte g1 gaming

That's probably either the worst or the second worst custom RX480 but if it's much cheaper than other RX480 then why not eh? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Is the RX480 the 4GB version or the 8GB?

And the 1060, 3GB or 6GB? (VRAM)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

I would get the 1060 as it should keep you good for quite a while. Maybe not 4 or 5 years but long enough. Just dont try any thing past 1080p

Also consider getting another kid of that ram at some point later down the line.

If you are talking about the RX 480 (8GB) go with that. Unless you have a g-sync monitor

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

RX480, but don't get Gigabyte, since it's pretty much the worst 480 out there.

What other options do you have?

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

8 minutes ago, budgetguy said:

rx 480: 260 euro

gtx 1060: 310 euro

That's a no brainer, one is 50 EUR cheaper!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

RX480, but don't get Gigabyte, since it's pretty much the worst 480 out there.

What other options do you have?

out of curiosity, may I ask why the Gigabyte is bad?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

I wold say get the rx480 it will probably age better and because its better at dx12/vulkan which is going to matter in 2 years if you can get the 8gb version so you can still have high resolution textures in a few years

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

That's a no brainer, one is 50 EUR cheaper!

Unless it's 4GB RX480 vs 6GB 1060...

I mean the 4GB RX480 performs more or less the same as the 8GB RX480 but 2GB may be the difference between ultra for an extra year rather than dropping down to high to remove some of the issues caused by not enough vRAM :/ 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless it's 4GB RX480 vs 6GB 1060...

I mean the 4GB RX480 performs more or less the same as the 8GB RX480 but 2GB may be the difference between ultra for an extra year rather than dropping down to high to remove some of the issues caused by not enough vRAM :/ 

Unlikely to be a problem since the 480/1060 won't be able to sustain ultra settings at 1080p for a long time imo, so taking 6 or 8GB seems a bit pointless. In one or two years, you won't be able to crack up antialiasing and shadow resolution on those cards anyway, regardless of the VRAM amount, just due to the limited processing power. And the one likely to age better is the RX 480. 4GB of VRAM isn't bad even for the couple of years ahead (at 1080p ofc)

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

13 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

But... But why? I'd choose the RX 480 over the 1060 even at an equal price, but when a 1060 is 50 Euro more then... WTF?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

Unlikely to be a problem since the 480/1060 won't be able to sustain ultra settings at 1080p for a long time imo, so taking 6 or 8GB seems a bit pointless. In one or two years, you won't be able to crack up antialiasing and shadow resolution on those cards anyway, regardless of the VRAM amount, just due to the limited processing power. And the one likely to age better is the RX 480. 4GB of VRAM isn't bad even for the couple of years ahead (at 1080p ofc)

Hmmmmm...Even the esport title R6S disagrees with this comment...

3.7GB~ utilised while at medium and high settings@1080p...(and getting 130fps~)

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

But... But why? I'd choose the RX 480 over the 1060 even at an equal price, but when a 1060 is 50 Euro more then... WTF?

You know... Because Nvidia that's why :D 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

6 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

You know... Because Nvidia that's why :D 

I was at the understanding that the 1060 our preforms the 480. And since he wants it to last as long as possable and he can afford it then  as much preformance as possable to last as along as possable.

3 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

I was at the understanding that the 1060 our preforms the 480. And since he wants it to last as long as possable and he can afford it then  as much preformance as possable to last as along as possable.

not anymore, they're dead even now.

and AMD's graphics cards tend to age better than nvidia's graphics cards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmmm...Even the esport title R6S disagrees with this comment...

3.7GB~ utilised while at medium and high settings@1080p...(and getting 130fps~)

Yeah... 'Cause it's totally normal a game so average-looking, not even open world with crappy textures consumes that much VRAM... Getting an 8GB card because one game is using much more VRAM than it should be isn't the right answer for everyone imo. For someone playing a lot of R6S it may enter into consideration sure, but otherwise, it doesn't matter. My girlfriend still has her "old" GTX980 with 4G of VRAM and guess what ? Only one of the really demanding game she plays goes past 4G on ultra, WD2. Other games barely reach 3GB ! And don't forget that VRAM usage is hugely impacted by the use of MSAA/TXAA which are power-hungry in most games in terms of processing power and usually can't be enabled anyway due to the huge hit on fps.

It won't be a huge issue imo. You don't "future-proof" only with VRAM, processing power is the key, and VRAM comes after that. And the RX 480 is overall better than the 1060 and might keep going in that direction, even with 4G vs 6G.

10 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Keep yourself up to date please.

1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

Yeah... 'Cause it's totally normal a game so average-looking, not even open world with crappy textures consumes that much VRAM... Getting an 8GB card because one game is using much more VRAM than it should be isn't the right answer for everyone imo. For someone playing a lot of R6S it may enter into consideration sure, but otherwise, it doesn't matter. My girlfriend still has her "old" GTX980 with 4G of VRAM and guess what ? Only one of the really demanding game she plays goes past 4G on ultra, WD2. Other games barely reach 3GB ! And don't forget that VRAM usage is hugely impacted by the use of MSAA/TXAA which are power-hungry in most games in terms of processing power and usually can't be enabled anyway due to the huge hit on fps.

It won't be a huge issue imo. You don't "future-proof" only with VRAM, processing power is the key, and VRAM comes after that. And the RX 480 is overall better than the 1060 and might keep going in that direction, even with 4G vs 6G.

There are multiple games that utilise close or over 4GB at 1080p ultra settings and no, both the RX480 and 1060 can push over 60fps most triple As at ultra so you know :P 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

There are multiple games that utilise close or over 4GB at 1080p ultra settings and no, both the RX480 and 1060 can push over 60fps most triple As at ultra so you know :P 

Yes, that was my whole point, they can push ultra NOW, but they won't be able to do so in a couple of months maybe, making the huge amount of VRAM virtually useless. Do you think a GTX 960 4G is helped by its amount of VRAM ? Absolutely not, it doesn't help it push ultra on current titles because it simply isn't powerful enough. This is an extreme case because the GTX 960 is substentialy less powerful than a GTX 980/GTX 1060/RX 480, but you get the idea. 6 or 8G won't help those cards push all games to ultra settings in 1 or 2 years, so for someone who needs to spend the least amount of money on his/her brand new GPU, I feel like saving 40-50$/€ to get a 4G RX 480 can be totally worth it. And who knows, maybe one day games will stop using more and more VRAM :P 

29 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

out of curiosity, may I ask why the Gigabyte is bad?

Inefficient cooling, mediocre PCB components (Buildzoid did a detailed review on the PCB). On default settings it gets to 80+℃. You can make a custom fan curve, but then it gets loud.

I don't know why Gigabyte puts better coolers on Nvidia GPUs with lower TDP like the 1060 G1.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

42 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Is the RX480 the 4GB version or the 8GB?

And the 1060, 3GB or 6GB? (VRAM)

gtx 1060 6gb or rx 480 8gb

42 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Also consider getting another kid of that ram at some point later down the line.

what is rong with the ram?

2 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Yes, that was my whole point, they can push ultra NOW, but they won't be able to do so in a couple of months maybe, making the huge amount of VRAM virtually useless. Do you think a GTX 960 4G is helped by its amount of VRAM ? Absolutely not, it doesn't help it push ultra on current titles because it simply isn't powerful enough. This is an extreme case because the GTX 960 is substentialy less powerful than a GTX 980/GTX 1060/RX 480, but you get the idea. 6 or 8G won't help those cards push all games to ultra settings in 1 or 2 years, so for someone who needs to spend the least amount of money on his/her brand new GPU, I feel like saving 40-50$/€ to get a 4G RX 480 can be totally worth it. And who knows, maybe one day games will stop using more and more VRAM :P 

Ermmmm...considering that the RX480 can push 60fps in like 2/3 of the triple As that are being benchmarked at 1440p ultra, what makes you think it's not gonna be able to push 60fps at 1080p? :D