Thermaltake Engine 27

On 1/24/2017 at 10:49 PM, LinusTech said:

Sheesh. Lose the tinfoil hat man.. The 6700K doens't come with a stock cooler at all, so we grabbed a stock cooler out of a bin of them that we have. It ended up not being the "right one" of which there isn't one since it doesn't include one anyway.

Regards,

Linus

Well you made my day xD
Never thought I'd have the honour, and yes I just had the feeling that for Locked processors in mini builds you're fine sticking with the stock since its small and decent enough in a way it wouldn't justify going aftermarket, but when the case is whatever unlocked processor like the 6700k the Thermaltake Engine 27 is a very solid choice, especially for aesthetics [:

Cheers! It sure was a pleasure.
P.Cadence

On 1/24/2017 at 11:29 PM, gonvres said:

I'm surprised to hear people constantly call Noctua fans ugly. I really like their colour scheme.

It looks alright, its colour isn't much appealing but wouldn't call it ugly either.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I hate to be the guy who's fact checking everything but as someone who has followed the development of the Engine 27, there are a few things you guys missed.

First off, the CoolerMaster version of this cooler that showcased at CES 2015 and mentioned in the video is made by the same people who call themseleves " CoolChip Technologies" found here: http://coolchiptechnologies.com/

Contracts or licencing agreements to make the product somehow didn't go to plan with CoolerMaster so the guys at CoolChip partnered with Thermaltake in their second attempt to make their design into a final retail product.

And for those wondering, Thermaltake has a bigger version of this cooler that also features a copper contact base rather than the aluminium one found on the standard Engine 27. Here is a quick look at GamersNexus's CES coverage of it

It's also worth noting that there is another option for those looking for a comsumer level 27mm (as in not a 1U server heatsink with a hairdryer slaped on it) their is also the Zalman CNPS2X that is about half the price and offers similar perfomance while using a full copper heatsink with a more standard fan in the middle. Although LTT chose a nice variety of sff/itx coolers, I'm sad to see that this wasn't included in the mix.

http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=590

Here is another sff cooler comparison video, this one from "Not From Concentrate". It includes both the Engine 27 and the Zalman, as well as the Noctua

6 hours ago, Daring said:

I'm trying to cool this 91W CPU, but this heatsink keeps kicking my ass!

Is there a joke I'm missing here?  ?

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

The old stock to the new one don't really have much of a difference, Intel managed to make them cheaper and more compact with pretty much the same performance, the only issue I have with stock coolers is with it not being shipped with the copper bottom any longer THAT made a difference, but then again it was made on purpose to sell their higher end cooling solutions like the TS15A I use (which is a great cooling in my opinion full load = 65Cº).

I really have the feeling they somewhat wanted to make Thermaltake look even better on its main selling point which is compactness by going with an outdated stock cooler on purpose, since if you are not going to OC and needs a low profile cooler the current Intel Stock actually should be enough making the whole deal of buying the thermaltake pointless as it doesn't offer good cooling for OC and is about the same size the current stock cooler.

So it was like a marketing scheme which nobody from staff will address to likely, I'm fine with it though they make money out of promoting these products and at least despite the issue with the stock cooler the benchmarks with the other aftermarket ones was legit.

You're using a Intel cooler?  But a larger model than the stock version included with non-K Intel CPUs?

That's interesting.  I didn't know into made other CPU coolers.   

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Sheesh. Lose the tinfoil hat man.. The 6700K doens't come with a stock cooler at all, so we grabbed a stock cooler out of a bin of them that we have. It ended up not being the "right one" of which there isn't one since it doesn't include one anyway.

Regards,

Linus

My main desktop was originally bought as a prebuilt from Best Buy.  It has since been heavily upgraded.  I'm certain the website page said i7-6700 and I'm pretty sure 3.4GHz while the box says i7-6700 too yet says 4GHz.  

It came with a 6700K in it though and with a stock Intel cooler oddly enough.  

Spoiler

image.jpegimage.jpeg

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Blind me thinks you are 

Blind?

Noctua does sure know how to make an ugly fan.  ?

Good fans from what I've heard but ugly.  

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well you made my day xD
Never thought I'd have the honour, and yes I just had the feeling that for Locked processors in mini builds you're fine sticking with the stock since its small and decent enough in a way it wouldn't justify going aftermarket, but when the case is whatever unlocked processor like the 6700k the Thermaltake Engine 27 is a very solid choice, especially for aesthetics [:

Cheers! It sure was a pleasure.
Bianca.

It looks alright, its colour isn't much appealing but wouldn't call it ugly either.

I'm not how you feel about the tinfoil hat comment (not sure what it means here) but that's awesome Linus responded to your post.  /)

I agree it would be nice if the Thermaltake Engine 27 came in different colors.  

I personally would love to see a blue colored version.  ? 

3 hours ago, FourCorners said:

I hate to be the guy who's fact checking everything but as someone who has followed the development of the Engine 27, there are a few things you guys missed.

First off, the CoolerMaster version of this cooler that showcased at CES 2015 and mentioned in the video is made by the same people who call themseleves " CoolChip Technologies" found here: http://coolchiptechnologies.com/

Contracts or licencing agreements to make the product somehow didn't go to plan with CoolerMaster so the guys at CoolChip partnered with Thermaltake in their second attempt to make their design into a final retail product.

And for those wondering, Thermaltake has a bigger version of this cooler that also features a copper contact base rather than the aluminium one found on the standard Engine 27. Here is a quick look at GamersNexus's CES coverage of it

It's also worth noting that there is another option for those looking for a comsumer level 27mm (as in not a 1U server heatsink with a hairdryer slaped on it) their is also the Zalman CNPS2X that is about half the price and offers similar perfomance while using a full copper heatsink with a more standard fan in the middle. Although LTT chose a nice variety of sff/itx coolers, I'm sad to see that this wasn't included in the mix.

http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=590

Here is another sff cooler comparison video, this one from "Not From Concentrate". It includes both the Engine 27 and the Zalman, as well as the Noctua

Is the larger version of this cooler available for sale?  Or just this smaller version?

What does 1U mean here?

That Zalman cooler looks interesting but I'm concerned the mounting for it would be tricky.

To @nicklmg I have a question in regards to the CPU that was used to test the Engine 27:

Why was a 6700K used instead of a lower TDP CPU?

According to the Amazon page it states that the Engine 27 is rated for 70W which is lower than the 91W TDP of the 6700K.  

It seems that using a lower TDP CPU like a 6700 would've been a fairer choice to test and demonstrate the Engine 27.  

I mean no offense but it's not surprising the Engine 27 was so loud and the 6700K ran hotter compared the other coolers in the video.  It was being used on a CPU with a TDP 21W higher than it was meant to handle.   

@Bleedingyamato The i7 6700 base clock is 3.4ghz though it turbo boost to 4ghz, if all cores are used it sits on 3.7ghz per core. Also yes Intel does have better cooling offerings if you are willing to pay for them:

Spoiler

intel-liqiud-cooler-640x353.jpg

intelbxts15a.png

Now about Linus reply, I understand I did pinprick some with that comment of mine, at least seems it was worth getting the "feedback" from the staff after all, I didn't feel offended by any means if anything it only shows Linus still cherish the idea of community by replying regardless of his position and I really like it, made me even more glad to use the forum and help out whenever I can, really.

and I do understand why use an i7 6700k, its a mainstream high end processor, it gives a good idea of what to expect from the most common overclocking scenario as its conditions safely apply to the i5 6600k and somewhat well to the older gens, the only "divergence"  is what I somewhat meant from beginning: if you bought a locked processor you are likely to be better saving the cash using stock, and when comparing the size of the new stock ones it becomes even more attractive and the thermaltake loses a bit more of its selling point.

Well this was all lots of fun, regardless.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

@Bleedingyamato The i7 6700 base clock is 3.4ghz though it turbo boost to 4ghz, if all cores are used it sits on 3.7ghz per core. Also yes Intel does have better cooling offerings if you are willing to pay for them:

Reveal hidden contents

intel-liqiud-cooler-640x353.jpg

intelbxts15a.png

Now about Linus reply, I understand I did pinprick some with that comment of mine, at least seems it was worth getting the "feedback" from the staff after all, I didn't feel offended by any means if anything it only shows Linus still cherish the idea of community regardless of his position and I really like it, made me even more glad to use the forum and help out whenever I can, really.

and I do understand why use an i7 6700k, its a mainstream high end processor, it gives a good idea of what to expect from the most common overclocking scenario as its conditions safely apply to the i5 6600k and somewhat well to the older gens, the only "divergence"  is what I somewhat meant from beginning: if you bought a locked processor you are likely to be better saving the cash using stock, and when comparing the size of the new stock ones it becomes even more attractive and the thermaltake loses a bit more of its selling point.

Well this was all lots of fun, regardless.

It was nice that Linus replied to you.  ?

I understand the 6700K is a higher end CPU but this Engine 27 isn't meant to be used on a CPU like it.

Using a stock Intel cooler for those with a locked CPU is a nice option to save money like you said.  The engine 27 costs $50 USD so it's more expensive than higher performing coolers like the stock Intel and Cryorig C7.  

I'm tempted to get an Engine 27 to see how it is for myself.  But I'll have to think about it.  ?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why was a 6700K used instead of a lower TDP CPU?

According to the Amazon page it states that the Engine 27 is rated for 70W which is lower than the 91W TDP of the 6700K.  

It seems that using a lower TDP CPU like a 6700 would've been a fairer choice to test and demonstrate the Engine 27.  

I mean no offense but it's not surprising the Engine 27 was so loud and the 6700K ran hotter compared the other coolers in the video.  It was being used on a CPU with a TDP 21W higher than it was meant to handle.   

TDP is not the be-all and end-all of CPU power consumption or heat output. As you can plainly see in the video, the Engine 27 handled the chip just fine.

The other reason is that all the other coolers - including ones that are also compatible with very small cases like the Dr. Zaber Sentry - CAN handle the 6700K without overclocking. So I wanted to see how it stood up.

It's not like testing a car as an airplane. A heatsink is designed to dissipate a heatload and as long as the heatload doesn't MELT it, if anything it should gain efficiency the higher the difference between the temperature of the heatsink and that of the surrounding air.

So in short, I don't really care what teh spec is. I want to know how it performs. I could have put them all on a 35W CPU just as easily and gotten some numbers that are very similar since all of them would have dealt with that load with their eyes closed. I really wanted to know how they stacked up so I pushed them a little harder.

15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

TDP is not the be-all and end-all of CPU power consumption or heat output. As you can plainly see in the video, the Engine 27 handled the chip just fine.

The other reason is that all the other coolers - including ones that are also compatible with very small cases like the Dr. Zaber Sentry - CAN handle the 6700K without overclocking. So I wanted to see how it stood up.

It's not like testing a car as an airplane. A heatsink is designed to dissipate a heatload and as long as the heatload doesn't MELT it, if anything it should gain efficiency the higher the difference between the temperature of the heatsink and that of the surrounding air.

So in short, I don't really care what teh spec is. I want to know how it performs. I could have put them all on a 35W CPU just as easily and gotten some numbers that are very similar since all of them would have dealt with that load with their eyes closed. I really wanted to know how they stacked up so I pushed them a little harder.

Ok but it is how coolers are matched with CPUs.  I assume that's why coolers have a TDP rating.  A 91W CPU would be better used with a cooler rated for 100W than one that isn't.

It did handle the 6700K but in order to do so it presumably ran louder than it would if used on a CPU that was 70W or below.  

Sorry I should've been clearer in my post.  I should've said that while it kept the 6700K at an acceptable temperature the Engine 27 got noisier than it normally would be with a cooler CPU like a 6500 for example.  

Ah.  I guess I forgot that you were testing compact height coolers for that reason.  On that point I apologize.

I'm sorry if I seemed too critical in my comments.  

Anyway, it really was an interesting video so good job with that.  ?

To be honest I will be giving some consideration to buying one of these to test myself.  It really is an interesting design for a cooler.  I'd be very interested to be see a larger version that was still on the compact side but could have a higher cooling capability.  

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What does 1U mean here?

1U is the size of a regular rack mount server, and server racks use this sizing (so for example, a 22U server rack could fit 22 1U servers in it). "1U server heatsink" refers to the size of a heatsink that would be used in a 1U-sized server. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit :)

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW

There's a 37mm tall version coming soon.

C1xVGyNUkAATr_H.jpg

It has a full copper base, too :P

nice

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

15 hours ago, lagittaja said:

Good video.

But there's a "big" flaw in the comparison. That being the "huge" Intel stock cooler you used.

This is what you get nowadays

[snip] 

Not this

[snip]

The stock cooler as mentioned at the beginning was for a Pentium D, and it was used for its acoustic abilities (45dB) the baseline.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

15 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW

There's a 37mm tall version coming soon.

It has a full copper base, too :P

Will keep my eye out for that one then. I still hope for something better but maybe I'm hoping for the impossible.

Must also say that I was surprised that my current cooler is already turning out to be the best, I was hoping the C7 would be slightly better, but it isn't. (It's hard to find tests so this video was super useful for me at least.)

I am thinking about getting a Dynatron K129 and mounting a Noctua 92x92x14 or 25mm fan on it and see if that maaaay give me slightly better cooling, but maybe the RVZ02 is just too tight a space to keep things cool enough for a 100-ish Watt TDP CPU with a slight overclock. (Though I see people pulling it off somehow.)

4 hours ago, Mina Darsh said:

Will keep my eye out for that one then. I still hope for something better but maybe I'm hoping for the impossible.

Must also say that I was surprised that my current cooler is already turning out to be the best, I was hoping the C7 would be slightly better, but it isn't. (It's hard to find tests so this video was super useful for me at least.)

I am thinking about getting a Dynatron K129 and mounting a Noctua 92x92x14 or 25mm fan on it and see if that maaaay give me slightly better cooling, but maybe the RVZ02 is just too tight a space to keep things cool enough for a 100-ish Watt TDP CPU with a slight overclock. (Though I see people pulling it off somehow.)

I personally don't think that the Dynatron cooler with a Noctua fan would offer enough of an improvement over your Silverstone AR-06 to justify the cost. Although I would be interested to see that results of that combo working together. 

7 hours ago, FourCorners said:

I personally don't think that the Dynatron cooler with a Noctua fan would offer enough of an improvement over your Silverstone AR-06 to justify the cost. Although I would be interested to see that results of that combo working together. 

It'll likely be quite a few Euros per degree celsius removed if any. I live in the Netherlands and that thing is like €50.- here, however, I also live near the German border and there it is... €25-30.-? I still can't wrap my head around why these prices differ so greatly one border away. I'll see about purchasing it there along with the fan so hopefully I'm no more than €40-50.- lighter. I might sell the AR06 if it turns out to be equal or better as I may have use for this cooler once I get my hands on my dream case from Dan Cases. ^_^

Hi

Can I ask the name of this monitoring application?

zEPxHdJ.png

cheers

1 hour ago, spycrash said:

Hi

Can I ask the name of this monitoring application?

zEPxHdJ.png

cheers

Nzxt cam

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So I watched the video and they say it doesn't REALLY work unless it spins like fast enough. What if you applied a thermal compound that also lubricated it?

I forget what the stuff is called but it's like a thermal paste that is also grease/lubricant. 

While the fan looks really neat, one of the questions I would have about that kind of design is the airflow...  Based on the video, it looked like it would have issue getting air to pass over the fins with how close it sits to the VRMs and the Ram sticks.  It would also be interesting to measure the temps on the surrounding components with these fans to see if they are sending hot exhaust onto the other components and how much that impacts the overall performance.

God forbid you actually compare to similarly-sized coolers. Why didn't you just compare it to a custom water cooled solution and a DH15 while you were at it...