Windows 10 32bit vs 64bit: 32bit version is performing faster on the same machines!

Hello everyone!

After the advent of the infamous Windows 10 (doesn't matter v1511 or v1607), IT problems and headaches have skyrocketed. Couple of times I heard Luke saying the annoyance of trying to benchmark machines with the instability of Windows 10.

I have to say that it can get much worse when you have Active Directory. Our machines after join the Active Directory are now unbearable to login and use. Even when using software like DisableWinTracking, Spybot Anti-beacon etc, Microsoft services some times take almost 100% of disk and/or memory usage, and arround 90% (!!) of CPU usage most at login time and randomly during the day. Logins are much worst than boot times ( sometimes taking more than 5 minutes to release the desktop even after it is show to the user in a good day).

You guys don't notice that much because (that's a guess) because Core i3 computer with 4Gb of ram and HDD (in the majority of the machines) are not that common outside Brazil (where I live). But, even with some Core i5 and i7 the situation is not good.

We are doing some testing disabling more Windows 10 annoying service and scheduled tasks, which helped (using Download Destroy Windows 10 Spying recommended by Barnacules Nerdgasm helped very much). Doing tests two things came to our attention:

1. The same machines that we tested with Windows 10 32bit performed so much better than with Windows 10 64bit, Of course we loose some RAM but the performance is like downgrading to Windows 7;
  2. In the IT department, more specifically the support team, we installed Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE) and we are using Windows 10 on virtual machines (VM). Which is impressive since even using Windows 10 64bit inside a VM with less available RAM the performance is better.

How is your experience with this ... work of art of Microsoft?

But most applications and games are 64-bit

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

But most applications and games are 64-bit

SOME games are 64 bit but most are still 32. Almost NO applications are 64-bit only.

When in doubt, re-format.

Hi guys!

We are not using Windows 10 Insider Preview at our company.

Actually we are starting to change the version of Windows 10 from 64bit to 32bit since the difference is LOUD.

I entered in contact with Microsoft via Chat to make about the OEM licences and they said there is no restriction. We can use the same licence since we are just changing architecture on the same machine (hardware).

On 24/01/2017 at 1:58 PM, wrathoftheturkey said:

So... No difference?

What I meant is a HUGE gain in performance when we change from 64bit to 32bit. And doesn't matter if the machine ha 4GB, 8GB, 12GB or 16GB of RAM.

At the IT department we are using Linux to handle the RAM. For the users we are make the change on the most problematic machines.

On 25/01/2017 at 10:37 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

I'm not using the so called "stable" build, but Windows 10, at least in Insider preview, both slow and fast rings, is plagued with all sorts of bugs.

I recommend you to disable Windows Defender real-time protection (gpedit.msc);  reduce the scope of Windows Search indexing; disable Windows compatibility service (services.msc) and the compatibility inventory collector (gpedit.msc); and if you don't need services that require it, you can disable Windows Management Instrumentation service (services.msc).

On top of that, for what you're reporting, seems like you have bad drivers, maybe those delivered by Windows Update. You can test reinstalling the original ones provided by the manufacturer.

Everytime my PC gets slower, I check with procmon (search for sysinternals utilities) what programs are doing, and then try to discover why are they doing and how to fix/workaround it.

Hi.

Thanks. Some of that we were already disabling manually and using DWS (Destroy Windows 10 Spying). It helped but nothing compared to the architecture change.

The Compatibility Inventory Collector and the Windows Management Instrumentation I don't remember. I'll check.

We also disable Superfetch, Security Central, Offline Files, Cortana, services from Google Chrome, Mozilla, Adobe Reader and Skype Updater

Hi again!

Keeping whomever (or whoever. I don't get it - not good at English) is interested in the Windows 10 bul$%#$#.

The machines that we alreay made the change (64bit to 32bit) the performance is really much better. For us here it makes all the difference for the end users since all they are doing is office stuff. They use M$ Office, Browsers, some specific per sector softwares and an ERP based on .NET Framework.

Everything is performing much better with less memory. Figure that!

Well, 64-bit processes will use up more RAM than 32-bit processes, since they're allocated twice the amount of RAM, but it also allows programs to use more RAM than 32-bit does. So, by going 32-bit, you'll have more spare RAM to be used by the machine, and processes will use up less RAM. But, you'll also have the limitations of 32-bit RAM access in place. As long as you stay within 32-bit limitations, you'll use less resources for the same amount of work.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Well, 64-bit processes will use up more RAM than 32-bit processes, since they're allocated twice the amount of RAM, but it also allows programs to use more RAM than 32-bit does. So, by going 32-bit, you'll have more spare RAM to be used by the machine, and processes will use up less RAM. But, you'll also have the limitations of 32-bit RAM access in place. As long as you stay within 32-bit limitations, you'll use less resources for the same amount of work.

The 32bit limitation is working as a tremendous advantage since people can work now. And the changes are reducing stress (not kidding).

Just the time to change all the machine is the problem.

On 25/01/2017 at 10:37 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

I'm not using the so called "stable" build, but Windows 10, at least in Insider preview, both slow and fast rings, is plagued with all sorts of bugs.

I recommend you to disable Windows Defender real-time protection (gpedit.msc);  reduce the scope of Windows Search indexing; disable Windows compatibility service (services.msc) and the compatibility inventory collector (gpedit.msc); and if you don't need services that require it, you can disable Windows Management Instrumentation service (services.msc).

On top of that, for what you're reporting, seems like you have bad drivers, maybe those delivered by Windows Update. You can test reinstalling the original ones provided by the manufacturer.

Everytime my PC gets slower, I check with procmon (search for sysinternals utilities) what programs are doing, and then try to discover why are they doing and how to fix/workaround it.

We did a test with Core 2 Duo yesterday (4GB, 320GB). Wow!!! Like putting a SSD on the machine. Most of our machines are Core i3 with 4GB, 500GB HDD, the difference is unbelievable.

And that without disabling any service an, without using DWS. After doing that it even improves.