Google WiFi vs Netgear Orbi

I'm interested in the google wifi system, but my isp (bell fibe) provides a modem/router combo that must be used to use iptv set top boxes... so ditching it is out of the question.

Can the google wifi system be used as access points only, meaning NO routing JUST ethernet wired in and WiFi + the one ethernet out on each unit.

I would be much more interested in how these work when they are at different elevations, such as one access point upstairs and one downstairs. This is my use case at home and I am looking for a decent solution that. Most consumer wifi ap's are setup with a pancake waveform, where they maximize the horizontal, but vertical is lacking. Maybe do a follow on test where one of the ap's is in the upstairs offices?

For real, easy Wifi mesh, use Amplifi. Its around the same cost as these solutions, and I would have liked to seen it reviewed. https://amplifi.com/

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

• 5 years later...

Guys is the netgear orbi RBK50 still worth it today?

I have a friend selling his 3 unit (1 router+ 2 add ons) mesh system for 200$ with some other stuff thrown in. I'm on the fence.