Random poll: What text editor do you use?

Mira Yurizaki

What's your text editor of choice?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What's your text editor of choice?

• Notepad++
    • Atom
    • Vi/Vim
    • emacs
    • Sublime Text Editor
    • SlickEdit
    • Other

50 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I started getting suspicious when people were demanding Windows Notepad and nano be added.

hey I use Nano sometimes, no point opening atom to do a tiny change when I'm in the terminal anyway.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I mainly used IDEs (Visual Studio as well as Jetbrain's IDEs) but when I'm not using those, I occasionally use Visual Studio Code (for code purposes) and Notepad++ (for other text purposes).

So my vote of "Other" goes to Visual Studio Code.

Totally depends on what I do.

• I do most of my everyday (personal) development and prose work, including blog drafts, in GNU Emacs. I don't really like IDEs unless it's RAD.
  • I always keep a (licensed) copy of Sublime Text - which was my main editor before I started to seriously try and use Emacs - around for random regex tasks because I know PCRE much better than I know the Emacs regex syntax. (Old dogs, new habits...)
  • For my server stuff (usually, replacing strings and/or adding stuff to shell scripts) I've only recently switched from Vim to ed because I can't see a reason to use Vim for that.

After a long journey through quite a lot of text editors (my first regularly used text editor was EditPad Lite), I finally feel like I'm home.

Write in C.

Visual Studio/mono develop if you mean programming. I don't see eclipse or anything up there so I'm not sure if I'm answering properly.

I use notepad for all other text based work, and opening of files.

I use a custom code/text editor I am making.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I love Atom as it is multiplatform and has a lot of plugins. I mean, a ton : I have one to upload code to Arduino boards without the IDE. I have one to convert spaces to tabs and back again. I have one to autocomplete Latex personalised commands on a 200 page document... You get the idea.

I don't code as much as I used to, but I like how versatile it is as I jump from one random technology to the other. I even use it for Markdown when I write big blog posts, just to be sure.

I previously used Notepad++, then Sublime Text when I went on the Mac side of the force. But Atom is basically Sublime Text with user-friendly customisation and no license restriction.

[Insert smart comment here]

5 hours ago, jldjul said:

Atom is basically Sublime Text with user-friendly customisation and no license restriction.

And 400 MiB of Webkit. 

Write in C.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I use a custom code/text editor I am making.

So you're coding the editor in the editor you're coding?

2 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

sometimes.

Sometimes no.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, madknight3 said:

well what better way to test than to build the thing in it's self?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

You need to have built it before you can use it to build it though.

Write in C.

Notepad++ on Windows, vim on Linux.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

For any real programming work I use an IDE.

If I need to do small work, edit a singular file, etc, then I use sublime text or Vim if it's over SSH. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

99% of those people that picked notepad++ in the poll are not programmers...

How can you say that when you can't see the people that voted lmao 

I know of software developers that use Notepad++ on a regular basis 

4 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

How can you say that when you can't see the people that voted lmao 

I know of software developers that use Notepad++ on a regular basis 

Uh, no, notepad++ isn't anywhere near as complete as real fully-featured editor.

These "software developers" you know of must be just kids making iphone apps or something...

REAL programmers use sublime/aton/vim and similar tools.

Notepad++ is like using open office instead of microsoft word...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In his defense, I use NPP at work because that's the only approved software outside of an IDE. It gets the job done for the most part since all I care about is syntax highlighting, tab spacing, and line numbers to show.

But I abandoned NPP after finding out the author has a tendency to put political messages in certain updates. He put in a "Boycott China" thing in 2008 and another thing in 2015 after the Charlie Hebdo attacks (which scared the crap out of me because after you updated it then opened it, the program started to automatically type up something so I thought I got a hacked build)

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Uh, no, notepad++ isn't anywhere near as complete as real fully-featured editor.

These "software developers" you know of must be just kids making iphone apps or something...

REAL programmers use sublime/aton/vim and similar tools.

Notepad++ is like using open office instead of microsoft word...

Notepad++ is a light and perfectly usable editor. 

And no, they're developers with more time in the industry than you've been alive lmao

I never once said that's all they use. That's the TEXT EDITOR they use. 

And there's also the fact it's free and GPL licensed. 

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In his defense, I use NPP at work because that's the only approved software outside of an IDE. It gets the job done for the most part since all I care about is syntax highlighting, tab spacing, and line numbers to show.

But I abandoned NPP after finding out the author has a tendency to put political messages in certain updates. He put in a "Boycott China" thing in 2008 and another thing in 2015 after the Charlie Hebdo attacks (which scared the crap out of me because after you updated it then opened it, the program started to automatically type up something so I thought I got a hacked build)

My point. That is the text editor they use. They still use an IDE (Visual Studio). 

11 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

My point. That is the text editor they use. They still use an IDE (Visual Studio). 

Well then they use the text editor for editing text and the IDE for programming...

Not the text editor for programming...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well then they use the text editor for editing text and the IDE for programming...

Not the text editor for programming...

Ummm nooo..... 

They use an IDE for larger, more complex projects and the text editor for smaller things that don't require a fully featured IDE? 

You're trying to argue that anyone who uses Notepad++ isn't a true programmer because your sense of superiority and righteousness thinks that because you use Sublime text for your school programming projects you're above anyone who doesn't lol 

2 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

Ummm nooo..... 

They use an IDE for larger, more complex projects and the text editor for smaller things that don't require a fully featured IDE? 

You're trying to argue that anyone who uses Notepad++ isn't a true programmer because you're sense of superiority and riotousness thinks that because you use Sublime text for your school programming projects you're above anyone who doesn't lol 

Most people are not, hence the "99%"

Just take a look at all the people who picked notepad++...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Most people are not, hence the "99%"

Just take a look at all the people who picked notepad++...

You still can't just outright say 99% of those people aren't though and anyone who uses it isn't a real programmer, because you like to assume that they're all 14 year olds making 40 line JavaScript or Python files. 

Also either I don't know how to use the forum or that poll isn't public? Even if it was, I couldn't tell you if they were an avid or professional programmer (unless they actively post in Programming or something); nor could you.