Why is Linux or Mac OS good?

ripper101
On 23/01/2017 at 11:28 AM, Droidbot said:

When I hackintoshed my laptop I had a load of fun running OSX. It's amazing for work, it feels smooth and has good animations, and there is minimal distractions since half your games won't run on OSX anyway

You simply don't argue/ explain things with/to apple haters at this forum.... They hate it. Why??? Cos they hate it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 23/01/2017 at 11:36 AM, S_Napster said:

BTW im talking from experience, not shit posting, and being windows fan boy 

No one said you did. What you described is quite accurate. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

You simply don't argue/ explain things with/to apple haters at this forum.... They hate it. Why??? Cos they hate it. 

It's because Apple has 3 current models running similar hardware while Android has millions of phones working with the same OS on crap and superb hardware with more bloat depending on how the company feels that fiscal quarter.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

iOS device and android device is just like mac vs pc and just like battlefield vs cod. 

Different business strategy, different ways to profit. 

Think about it. PC has a huuuuuuuuuuge market share, then every machine has a lower margin. Mac has a relatively low market share, so they have to charge you a lot more than traditional PC. However despite all these, apple's software is getting more and more buggy these years. And no matter whether you are from team mac or PCMR FTW, you have to admit this. Their machine is not as stable as before. I happened to had a few hiccups on my mac as well as my iphone lately. It is not good. 

I think it is all personal preference. It just depends on which OS you got used to. 

The 1st time I use a mac I hated it. Returned it and bought a PC. 

Then few years later got a macbook pro. Started to get used to it.

Now it is my daily driver. I used to think all those people who said "I never shut down my mac" silly. 

I didn't really believe them nor do I know why.

And now I started to become like them, and I know that why they do it. Why it is convenient to do so. 

See??? Not that black and white. 

Linux is great too, if you are into it, you won't come back to windows or OS X. 

I prefer Windows.  That being said, OS X is more user friendly (although I find it constrictive) and Linux is the most secure.

And before anyone pulls that "The only reason Linux doesn't have viruses is because it's not popular" crap, it's the most widely used OS in the world.  It's used in phones, routers, almost every web server, you name it.  And unlike with Microsoft software, the security exploits which exist aren't universal.  With so many kernel variations (not to mention an entire community constantly patching the exploits), it's damn near impossible to write malware that will affect many people.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

All those bloat ware is just for money. You pay for their product, then they analyse your info then display ads on your screen.

Google does it all the time. I get "special tailored" ads on my youtube app. lol 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

FTFY

You're not the customer, the people buying your info from the manufacturer are. 

Yeah. The moment they sell my info, I become the product itself. 

To me there is no "good" or "bad" OS (well bad to a degree). To me they're just tools that do things I need to get done. Windows does some things I want to do. Linux does things I want to do. mac OS does things I want to do.

That's really the gist of it. If you're fine with Windows and there is nothing it can't do that you want it to do, then it's doing its job.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:18 PM, GDRRiley said:

Linux is less friendly but being so allows more complex interactions with the system. OSX is just garbage, it is over simplified (you can't see what drive you put a file into) and runs most non apple programs bad. 

Since WHEN could one NOT see what drive one puts a file into?  That statement has BEEN completely false since even the Snow Leopard days. 

In my opinion Linux is an amazing operating system however I don't use it now but I have used it in the past. Now in popular opinion OSX is the worst choice for gaming  and these days that's what PC's are used most for that is also one of Linux's weaknesses, It can't run every game out there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2017 at 3:21 AM, nerdslayer1 said:

they both are owned by valsvolkswagen like osx is linux. 

Sorry - I realise that this was way up at the top of the thread, but I felt the need to correct it - Mercedes Benz is owned by Daimler-Benz AG, Audi is owned by Volkswagen and BMW is "owned" by BMW AG.

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

On 2/4/2017 at 10:29 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

To me there is no "good" or "bad" OS (well bad to a degree). To me they're just tools that do things I need to get done. Windows does some things I want to do. Linux does things I want to do. mac OS does things I want to do.

That's really the gist of it. If you're fine with Windows and there is nothing it can't do that you want it to do, then it's doing its job.

This guy gets it - OS's are just tools that let you get shit done. Pardon my french, but IMO all OS's suck equally - they all have odd limitations and restrictions, even if they let you get most things done on a daily basis. We just have to pick the OS that works best for our own needs, and deal with the limitations.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:55 AM, tpcs1980 said:

Since WHEN could one NOT see what drive one puts a file into?  That statement has BEEN completely false since even the Snow Leopard days. 

Since Apple (and Microsoft, to a lesser extent) started implementing Libraries by default. I'm not against Libraries from a simplistic point of view - they work well when search has indexed your files and you know what you're looking for. However, some files I organize via file and folder structure, so Library groups don't work for me.

But the biggest issue for me is data recovery: Libraries are the WORST THING EVER INVENTED for recovery since you have ZERO KNOWLEDGE of where your files might be located. On one hand, yes, we should all have backups, but on the other, this world isn't perfect, and even the most careful person can forget to backup certain files. In these instances, one would have a difficult time recovering files themselves, and a 3rd party shop will have no clue where to start other than just doing a lengthy sector-by-sector disk scan.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)