Testing SQL

Gali

Hey script junkies!

I'm just getting started with learning some SQL and looking for a way to test what I've learned already. Are there any easy-to-access mediums to accomplish this? I don't do it for my job so I won't need a professional engine or subscription-based software of any kind. Any input would help.

Thanks y'all!

~ Gali

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

As a general resource, SQL Fiddle might be useful.

Do you plan to do any database using a programming language? If so, do you know what database or programming language you'd like to use?

1 minute ago, madknight3 said:

As a general resource, SQL Fiddle might be useful.

Do you plan to do any database using a programming language? If so, do you know what database or programming language you'd like to use?

Honestly Madknight, it depends what the organization I'm to be a part of uses. Still an unknown for me, so I'm getting versed as fast as possible in a broad range. I've worked with SQL in the past (A long time ago - 7 years I think or something like that), so the basic commands and scripts are pretty easy to refresh. It's the differences in the languages for Database building that I'm concerned with picking up. I know that's really vague, but this early I'm just now picking up from a ball I dropped.

Thanks for the resource. Cheers.

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

Hi

I’m not sure what setup you are using or what your goals is, so It’s hard to recommend something to fit in with your needs;

For a really small footprint, have a look at SQLite. It can be used to almost anywhere web, desktop and app’s.

MySQL is mainly for Web. It’s a great DB and there are tons of online guides. Check out WAMP for windows, LAMP of Linux or MAMP for Mac. Then have a look at PHP / HTML to use as an interface to pull and push the SQL.

Microsoft have MS SQL so you could look a Visual Studio (Visual Studio will also work with almost all SQL Databases).

To make your life easier then pick a platform to start with (web, desktop or app) then pick a programming language or interface to use to send and receive the SQL.

For me, I would look at VB.net (or C++ / C# ) with Visual Studio and either MS SQL or SQLite.

At the end of the day it’s all SQL

Andy

On 1/24/2017 at 4:37 AM, Andy Cheese said:

Hi

I’m not sure what setup you are using or what your goals is, so It’s hard to recommend something to fit in with your needs;

For a really small footprint, have a look at SQLite. It can be used to almost anywhere web, desktop and app’s.

MySQL is mainly for Web. It’s a great DB and there are tons of online guides. Check out WAMP for windows, LAMP of Linux or MAMP for Mac. Then have a look at PHP / HTML to use as an interface to pull and push the SQL.

Microsoft have MS SQL so you could look a Visual Studio (Visual Studio will also work with almost all SQL Databases).

To make your life easier then pick a platform to start with (web, desktop or app) then pick a programming language or interface to use to send and receive the SQL.

For me, I would look at VB.net (or C++ / C# ) with Visual Studio and either MS SQL or SQLite.

At the end of the day it’s all SQL

Andy

Thank you for the resources Andy. I'll find out soon enough how the Organization implements SQL - whether Web-based or otherwise.