What's the closest "budget Google phone"?

IAmAndre

Hi,

A year and a half ago I bought the Moto G 3rd gen, and I'm looking for a similar phone as an upgrade. I am a heavy user, but I don't want to spend over €200 on a phone (I could buy a more expensive when it's discounted and has a final price around €200). I need a good battery life since I'm using it a lot, but on the other hand I don't play games or use any demanding app. I just use my phone for social networks, light web browsing, watching videos, and taking pictures. However, I do care a lot about updates, and that's why I chose the Moto G at the time over the Alcatel idol thing and the OnePlus X. Now that Motorola has been acquired by Lenovo, it's a different story since I stopped receiving updates even though the phone was released just a year and a half ago. Where should I be looking? I like the new Honor devices, but how long do Honor and OnePlus usually keep providing updates? What about the security issues? I've heard news about security issues with a Chinese manufacturer, I don't remember which one it was.

Thanks

I just looked it up and I can't believe it, no Nougat update for Moto G3? Even my Lenovo K4 Note got Marshmallow and will be getting Nougat, so clearly they're just passing up on certain devices for a reason. 

What's wrong with the 3rd gen Moto G though? Why do you need updates so badly if that's all you do with your phone? There's really no hardware upgrade needed for daily tasks like those.

"Rawr XD"

4 hours ago, Aniallation said:

I just looked it up and I can't believe it, no Nougat update for Moto G3? Even my Lenovo K4 Note got Marshmallow and will be getting Nougat, so clearly they're just passing up on certain devices for a reason. 

What's wrong with the 3rd gen Moto G though? Why do you need updates so badly if that's all you do with your phone? There's really no hardware upgrade needed for daily tasks like those.

I made a huge mistake by taking the version with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage. I don't have many apps installed, but it's still running out of space so even the apps can't receive their updates. The "merged storage" thing or whatever it's called doesn't help. The funny thing is I only have basic apps installed. No big games whatsoever.

18 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I made a huge mistake by taking the version with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage. I don't have many apps installed, but it's still running out of space so even the apps can't receive their updates. The "merged storage" thing or whatever it's called doesn't help. The funny thing is I only have basic apps installed. No big games whatsoever.

Ooh okay. Yeah the Moto G line has kind of been screwing people over really, yet it's still really popular. The Moto G3 1GB RAM version is not even remotely close to being as good as the OnePlus X and I'm assuming you meant the Alcatel Idol 3. I don't understand all the hype that's still around the underpowered G4 Play.

1GB of RAM is definitely not enough for newest versions of Android in 2017, and Marshmallow OS on it's own on my K4 Note takes up about 5.5GB.

How about something like the BLU Life One X2?

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, Aniallation said:

Ooh okay. Yeah the Moto G line has kind of been screwing people over really, yet it's still really popular. The Moto G3 1GB RAM version is not even remotely close to being as good as the OnePlus X and I'm assuming you meant the Alcatel Idol 3. I don't understand all the hype that's still around the underpowered G4 Play.

1GB of RAM is definitely not enough for newest versions of Android in 2017, and Marshmallow OS on it's own on my K4 Note takes up about 5.5GB.

How about something like the BLU Life One X2?

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm not sure about Chinese phones. How does BLU handles Android updates and security patches?

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm not sure about Chinese phones. How does BLU handles Android updates and security patches?

BLU is an American company.

They are quite up to date with security patches, my mom's Pure XL so far as the Nov 2016 security patch. Not the absolute latest one but if that's really what you're after you're probably better off with something like a DTEK50.

"Rawr XD"

45 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

BLU is an American company.

They are quite up to date with security patches, my mom's Pure XL so far as the Nov 2016 security patch. Not the absolute latest one but if that's really what you're after you're probably better off with something like a DTEK50.

Do you still trust them after the chinese backdoor?

11 hours ago, Aytex said:

Do you still trust them after the chinese backdoor?

Our family uses nothing but BLU, Huawei, and Lenovo phones; so sure.

"Rawr XD"

4 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Our family uses nothing but BLU, Huawei, and Lenovo phones; so sure.

How long do they usually keep their phones updated ?