GTX 1060 FTW or SSC

how2meme

Hello! I was wondering about upgrading from my puny 750 Ti to either an EVGA GTX 1060 SSC or FTW. I'd love all of your advice as a first time poster!

You won't see major difference in game performance, i would just get cheaper one or the one you like the most(Aesthetics). 

Magical Pineapples

FTW if you want to go crazy overclocking, SSC if you just want to plug the damn thing in and play some games, maybe go for a moderate OC on the card. Make sure that whichever card you choose has had the thermal mods applied. I don't recall 1060s exploding the way 1070s and 1080s did, but the FTW style card had the most issues with spectacular failures.

Something else to consider, the RX 480 has caught up to the 1060 in many respects, largely thanks to NVIDIA's new habit of making each set of drivers worse than the last. On raw horsepower, the 1060 should clearly beat the 480...but it doesn't. Right now. Drivers are cyclic things, so it very easily could again in the future, but right now it doesn't. Keep that in mind as you shop.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

FTW if you want to go crazy overclocking, SSC if you just want to plug the damn thing in and play some games, maybe go for a moderate OC on the card. Make sure that whichever card you choose has had the thermal mods applied. I don't recall 1060s exploding the way 1070s and 1080s did, but the FTW style card had the most issues with spectacular failures.

Something else to consider, the RX 480 has caught up to the 1060 in many respects, largely thanks to NVIDIA's new habit of making each set of drivers worse than the last. On raw horsepower, the 1060 should clearly beat the 480...but it doesn't. Right now. Drivers are cyclic things, so it very easily could again in the future, but right now it doesn't. Keep that in mind as you shop.

not really in raw tereflop performance the 480 is 5.5 tflops and the 1060  6gb is 4.4 tflops  http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-final-specifications/

17 minutes ago, how2meme said:

Hello! I was wondering about upgrading from my puny 750 Ti to either an EVGA GTX 1060 SSC or FTW. I'd love all of your advice as a first time poster!

Hi! How much do both cost? IIRC they command a big premium over similar 1060s.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

FTW if you want to go crazy overclocking, SSC if you just want to plug the damn thing in and play some games

Pascal doesn't overclock better on higher-tier cards. The GPU just stops hard somewhere between 2050 and 2200. So if you pay more for a 1060, at least do it for the RGB xD

13 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I do think actually the 480 should be beating the 1060, just based on their Floating Point capabilities. This is not a case of Nvidia slacking on their driver optimization as much as it is AMD getting its shit together when it comes to optimizing Polaris.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

50 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Pascal doesn't overclock better on higher-tier cards. The GPU just stops hard somewhere between 2050 and 2200. So if you pay more for a 1060, at least do it for the RGB xD

I do think actually the 480 should be beating the 1060, just based on their Floating Point capabilities. This is not a case of Nvidia slacking on their driver optimization as much as it is AMD getting its shit together when it comes to optimizing Polaris.

Why did I have it in my mind that EVGA bins the FTW cards?!

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, how2meme said:

get the cheaper one and overclock it with precision X takes 3 minutes and you get free better performance.

make sure you get a 6GB card...otherwise get an RX 480 from XFX, sapphire or MSI.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, how2meme said:

Get the FTW. It's just 10$ more expensive than the SSC.

The performance difference between those two cards are very small. 

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.

2 minutes ago, NerdyCoder said:

Get the FTW. It's just 10$ more expensive than the SSC.

if that's the case then it's a no brainer...up to 20$ more is fine for a FTW card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if that's the case then it's a no brainer...up to 20$ more is fine for a FTW card.

Um...

캡처.PNG

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.

2 minutes ago, GitGud said:

Stay away from EVGA

Yep. Stay away from the company with hands-down the best customer service in the GPU industry.

1 hour ago, Quinnbeast said:

Yep. Stay away from the company with hands-down the best customer service in the GPU industry.

Yeah, that's why I chose them in the first place, I've heard stories of their awesome customer service

2 hours ago, Quinnbeast said:

Doesnt change the fact that they have such horrid track record with faulty fan designs and now exploding VRMs.

1 hour ago, GitGud said:

Doesnt change the fact that they have such horrid track record with faulty fan designs and now exploding VRMs.

Doesn't every company fuck up given enough time? When you say 'track record', do you mean the issue with 970 heatsink alignment or was there something else?

We've had AMD previously releasing drivers that permanently damaged some GPUs, Intel having to recall entire chipsets in years gone by and Asus being forced to swap-out dodgy batches of $800 ROG G-Sync monitors.

I've had two MSI 780s exchanged over an 18-month period; the first one died with a pop and a tremendous belch of smoke, and the second one didn't fare much better. While this might be more like anecdotal evidence, I'd be running out of brands to buy if I decided some of them were permanently a no-go.