Would spray-paint hurt a cooler?

JoostinOnline
Go to solution Solved by Silver47,
1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Does anybody have an experience painting a heat sink?

Yep, I paint all of my cpu coolers. As chance would have it I recently painted a Hyper T4 (which is pretty similar to the Hyper 212) for my brothers rig with matte black ceramic-based engine paint and in terms of heat-dissipation and cooling performance it didn't make a difference. So you're good to go I guess.

I installed a Cooler Master 212 Evo, and it looks ugly as f*ck because it covers half my case window.  It's the copper that makes it look the worst.  I was thinking about spray-painting the top "fin" (I'm not sure what you call it) so it looks better.  Using the power of imagination, pretend I'd put some real effort into editing the picture I've attached, and you'll see what I want it to look like.  Does anybody have an experience painting a heat sink?  I obviously don't want to do it if it's going to create a burning smell, or significantly hurt how it performs.

Heat Sink.jpg

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The difference would be negligible with painting just one fin. 

Slipping pieces of paper underneath the sides of the first fin and taping them together makes it easy to only paint the top. If the papers are big enough, placing the heatsink into a small cardboard box would also cover up the rest of the of the cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Does anybody have an experience painting a heat sink?

Yep, I paint all of my cpu coolers. As chance would have it I recently painted a Hyper T4 (which is pretty similar to the Hyper 212) for my brothers rig with matte black ceramic-based engine paint and in terms of heat-dissipation and cooling performance it didn't make a difference. So you're good to go I guess.

Some paints don't like high temperatures, and I'd guess that your computer would smell like paint if you didn't use the right stuff.