My friend is still using Windows XP

NerdyCoder

Oh boy, where do I start ?  Guess I'll do it one claim at a time

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

3.8gb ram

That is if you run the 32bit version; the 64bit version supports up to 16GB. 

Of course Microsoft, being the dumbasses that they are, axed XP 64bit in favor of Vista shortly before XP3 was released, so the 64bit version only has XP2.  Nonetheless, 16GB it is. 

1tb hdd limit

Oh really?

XP 2TB.JPG

The actual limit is 2TB internal, 16TB external.

no drivers for modern stuff

If by modern you mean Skylake or Kaby lake, of course.  Those were released after extended support for the consumer versions of XP ended so it stands to reason that nobody made drivers for those chipsets.

My X99 system isn't THAT old though, and I can select XP in MSI's driver download section and get all my drivers there.  Same for my 1070.  I've read reports that Samsung's NVMe drivers do support XP even though it's not officially stated, so I reckon even my 950PRO wouldn't be an issue either. 

2-3 year old hardware is not an issue at all.  It's not like we've made any substantial leaps in performance the last 5 years anyway.

dropped software support

Depends on the software.  The latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Libreoffice, malwarebytes etc etc run just fine on XP.  Some devs are just lazy.

no updates

A simple registry tweak enables security updates until 2019. 

As for the regular updates: given Microsoft's recent track record of screwing things up, who would even want updates nowadays?  xD

no modern api´s

While XP officially only has DX9.0c, it's real easy to get DX11 working properly.  All you need is the right folders from a working Vista or Win7 install.

https://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_install_directx_11_for_windows_xp

Not sure if you could do the same with DX12.  Most games still run better on DX11 anyway and I'm running my XP on a netbook, so I just don't see the point in even trying to update my own DirectX to either 11 or 12. 

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Gotta love bugged OS,bugged updates,shit ton of restrictions etc etc

i have yet to Encounter a single issue in 2 years of using windows 10 , granted on launch it was pretty bad , but i just rolled back to the insider built and waited a few patches and its pretty darn solid now 

idlike to counter your argument w/ your own argument 

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

"My friend only uses the computer for documents."

so do those restrictions apply to him? 

no, i highly doubt it 

he shud get win 7 if he does not like 10 or the hardware is incompatible 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

so do those restrictions apply to him? 

no, i highly doubt it 

Bugs in OS don't apply to ANY user? funny

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Guess I'll do it one claim at a time

i stand corrected , thanks for the info , but one thing 

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

the 64bit version supports up to 16GB. 

name me someone (not including yourself or a company you worked for) who actually used XP64 , i would be very suprised if he has it 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

name me someone (not including yourself or a company you worked for) who actually used XP64 , i would be very suprised if he has it 

True that, it never was a success because there was little need for it at the time.  You had to do some pretty crazy stuff to run into the 4GB limitation in those days.

Still, I reckon it was likely to be used at NASA etc, or companies where large amounts of numbers were being crunched. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Wendell used it too BITD, he's just that kind of crazy.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

About 10 years ago it was in the press that the South Korean government wanted to promote Linux in schools instead of windows vista and 7. I guess that never happened or failed

It never happened. Also, government sites are all using activex.

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.

11 hours ago, NerdyCoder said:

Should I advice my friend to get Windows 10? My friend only uses the computer for documents.

If it is not broken - don't fix it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 20/01/2017 at 7:13 PM, NerdyCoder said:

Should I advice my friend to get Windows 10? My friend only uses the computer for documents.

nope ..... let them be ...

except he write some sensitive or classified things

Guys, I told him to get Windows 10, and he got a new ultrabook with Windows 10 on itxD

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.