My friend is still using Windows XP

NerdyCoder

Should I advice my friend to get Windows 10? My friend only uses the computer for documents.

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.

as long as it is for documents and nothing else i don't see a problem, especialy if it isnt connected to the internet

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 minute ago, malon said:

as long as it is for documents and nothing else i don't see a problem, especialy if it isnt connected to the internet

He uses the internet only for getting information for his document work. Is this ok?

Is his set up even suitable for windows 10?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

If he has a PC that's able to run a newer operating system just fine, but he's still using XP because of stubbornness, beating him up with a stick is applicable. /s

But really, for really old PCs it's okay.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1 minute ago, JuztBe said:

Is his set up even suitable for windows 10?

His laptop is a 2005 Samsung laptop. He says it had the best performance in 2005.

4 minutes ago, NerdyCoder said:

He uses the internet only for getting information for his document work. Is this ok?

as long it basic google searching and he knows where to find the information he should be just fine.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

4 minutes ago, NerdyCoder said:

Only if he never downloads anything and doesn't visit anything other than wikipedia.

1 minute ago, NerdyCoder said:

His laptop is a 2005 Samsung laptop. He says it had the best performance in 2005.

if it has 2gb of ram or more it will be fine for w10

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Only if he never downloads anything and doesn't visit anything other than wikipedia.

He downloads images from google for his PowerPoint.

If he uses Internet Explorer, it wouldn't even require him to download or click anything to get malware. Malicious codes could simply rent an ad, and run malicious codes that exploits weaknesses in the web browser, which isn't exactly getting any patches.

Also, that PC is going to die sooner or later. Better get a new one before that happens, and he shouldn't keep his important files on his PC exclusively.

1 minute ago, malon said:

as long it basic google searching and he knows where to find the information he should be just fine.

Yeah, visiting pages you don't necessarily trust with an OS that hasn't received security updates for quite some time. What could possibly go wrong. It's not like you can find malicious web pages on Google, right?

He downloads images from google for his PowerPoint.

Generally speaking he should be fine, of course there's always the risk of downloading the wrong thing once and screwing up the system permanently. I don't know how tech savvy (read willing to learn) the guy is but maybe you can talk him into trying out Ubuntu MATE lts, it should do what he needs while being much more up to date (therefore more secure) and without taxing his old system.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just make sure you do the POSready tweak and he should be quite secure for 2 more years. 

Firefox with an adblocker is also highly recommended.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I don't know how tech savvy (read willing to learn) the guy is but maybe you can talk him into trying out Ubuntu MATE

He doesn't know about Linux, and how to use Linux. He can only use Windows. Also in Korea Linux and MacOS isn't recommended because Korea still uses activex for every sites.

If he is using it just for ducments, let him stay with those windows.

I can also imagine that potato that he is using as his PC isn't so powerfull, so windows 10 might work slower.

Also if you recommend him windows10, you will be asked to do it for him. So that would take your time and all the strugle while trying to find those ancient drivers for ancient hardware ... and ofc support ended even before Vista.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

and ofc official support ended even before Vista

FTFY, I'm getting security updates until 2019 on my own XP install (2008 netbook)

2 minutes ago, NerdyCoder said:

Korea still uses activex for every sites.

Oh God.

If he doesn't have any sensitive information on his pc I'd say let him use xp, if it ever gets screwed up you can wipe the drive and install 10. Maybe have him backup his important documents on google drive or something while he still can.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

FTFY, I'm getting security updates until 2019 on my own XP install (2008 netbook)

I meant support for drivers. Most of those drivers will only work on Windows XP, so it will be kinda hard to get everything working on Windows 10 without official drivers.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Windows 10 is biggest bullshit on the planet. He is more than fine with XP

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Most of those drivers will only work on Windows XP, so it will be kinda hard to get everything working on Windows 10 without official drivers.

That might be an issue indeed. 

4 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Windows 10 is biggest bullshit on the planet. He is more than fine with XP

gotta love that 3.8gb ram , 1tb hdd limit , no drivers for modern stuff , dropped software support , no updates , no modern api´s  ETC ETC ETC 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

22 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

my 2 cents is look at getting a chrome book. I would not use xp in 2017

Korea does not sell chromebooks. South Korea government only recommends windows because South Korea uses activex on all sites.

3 minutes ago, NerdyCoder said:

Korea does not sell chromebooks. South Korea government only recommends windows because South Korea uses activex on all sites.

South Korean gov have plans to shift off activex due to its many problems. I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. Do you really need to use what the gov recommends? About 10 years ago it was in the press that the South Korean government wanted to promote Linux in schools instead of windows vista and 7. I guess that never happened or failed

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

gotta love that 3.8gb ram , 1tb hdd limit , no drivers for modern stuff , dropped software support , no updates , no modern api´s  ETC ETC ETC 

"My friend only uses the computer for documents." Does he need updates,latest drivers and shit like that?

Gotta love bugged OS,bugged updates,shit ton of restrictions etc etc