R9 290 Officially $399

MbV93

$399 for a water boiler that draws pretty pictures... No thanks.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

$399 for a water boiler that draws pretty pictures... No thanks.

It's alright that you don't want to spend over $400 on a GPU. I personally think that is the perfect price.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Makes no sense, performs about the same as the 290x but costs $150 less? Their pricing structure sucks. 

Makes no sense, performs about the same as the 290x but costs $150 less? Their pricing structure sucks. 

There's no pleasing some people eh? If you'd like I can get on the phone with AMD and ask them to cripple the performance a little bit for ya :P

There's no pleasing some people eh? If you'd like I can get on the phone with AMD and ask them to cripple the performance a little bit for ya :P

LOL, no I think the performance is great for the price but it's just confusing to me why there's a $150 price difference between the 290 and 290x. 

Obviously the 290x is gonna have to drop in price now since I don't see why anyone would buy it over a 290. 

Willy wacker beaver slap!!! fking great price can't wait till the custom coolers are out, best price per performance high end card yet. 

Willy wacker beaver slap!!! fking great price can't wait till the custom coolers are out, best price per performance high end card yet. 

Completely agree!

This what kind of price to performance ratio we should be getting. I was getting worried with how Nvidia has been pricing their cards lately and I'm glad AMD is forcing them to drop prices! I wonder if we will see 780's hit $400? That would just be amazing but I'd feel screwed since I paid full price less than a month ago. Might have to return it if that happens. 

I'm just loving AMD for what they're doing lately.  Nvidia must be crapping their pants at the moment.  They don't have any other choice but to lower their prices again.   Thank you AMD!!!!    also if mantle truly does what it says it does then nvidia will be in big trouble.  I still can't believe they're selling the r290 for $399.

that will be my gtx 670 ftw replacement unless nvidia does something drastic.

pleased just fine but i also find the whole thing atm a bit wacky. the 290x has no substantial gains atm to justify the 150-250 price differences were seeing esp in canada. 

perhaps thats a reference cooler heat issue thing right now holding the 290x back from performing as well as it could. but right now the differences really are not showing up all that much even when overclocked the two cards are performing very similar also. 

the 290x is going to need to drop to 450-500$ range right now just to justify the differnce imho with its own 290 non x variant. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

i just bought a 280x :(

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/