Fans run at 100% after CPU Upgrade- Dell Studio 540

comicsansms
Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,
12 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Try again with a fresh BIOS... I think I had the same issue with my brother's rig but I can't remember how I fixed it :(

5 hours ago, oskarha said:

Maybe my guide for the 771 mod on the Vostro 220 could help ;)

I tried using the flashing utility used that oskarha used in their Vostro Mod, it worked, my computer now is running at a reasonable fan speed once again.

Thank you, I really appreciate you guys help.

I recently upgraded my CPU in my Dell Studio Slim 540S to a Xeon X5450, the original CPU was a Core2 Duo E7300. Before the CPU upgrade, the computer's CPU fan ran at a normal fan speed, (Probably 1500RPM)  after the CPU upgrade it now runs at a very intolerable 4500RPM, I have tried it with other CPUs like the Core2 Duo 6600 and Pentium Dual Core E5200, they both don't suffer from the same 100% CPU fan problem, I think the rear fan also runs at 100%, but I cannot confirm since I am using a lower RPM fan.

I have tried a Bios update and there isn't any setting for me to change in the bios. Any suggestions? 

1 minute ago, DisconnectedYT said:

What are the temps like?

50C on idle, 70C at load using the Xeon X5450 with the crazy 4k RPM fan speed.

The Core2 Duo 6600 without thermal paste idled at 70C,  but the fan stayed at its usual low fan speed at around 1500RPM. 

Check your fan curve.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Check your fan curve.

There are no fan control options in the bios, it is very limited in what I can actually change in the bios (Date and time, boot order and interface configuration)

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There are no fan control options in the bios, it is very limited in what I can actually change in the bios (Date and time, boot order and interface configuration)

Oh yeah it's a Dell. Have you tried for example SpeedFan to override the bios and bring the fans speed down ?

Also what i'm noticing here is a trend, only when you put the Xeon chip in there this happens, Xeons are different from Core so i'm guessing it has something to do with that.

Edited by LawrenceBarnes2013

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

6 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Oh yeah it's a Dell. Have you tried for example SpeedFan to override the bios and bring the fans speed down ?

Cannot change the motherboard fans using SpeedFan

fanspeed.png

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Have you edited the BIOS to support the new CPU? Even if it's recognised, you might still have to do so. 

No I have not, what do I need to do?

7 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Cannot change the motherboard fans using SpeedFan

Go to configuration, Options and enable Dell support and your fans should pop up.

10 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Go to configuration, Options and enable Dell support and your fans should pop up.

Showed 2 additional fans settings on the main screen, but editing those doesn't change anything,

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Showed 2 additional fans settings on the main screen, but editing those doesn't change anything,

well that's the thing with speed fan, decrease the fan speeds down to 5% or even 0% and see what happens

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

well that's the thing with speed fan, decrease the fan speeds down to 5% or even 0% and see what happens

well, nothing happened.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

well, nothing happened.

Than as i said i think it has to do with going from a Core to a Xeon.

The unspoken but stupid option would just be to put a resistor in the line to the fan, so that it would reduce the fan speed by eating a significant amount of the power that would be going to the fan. You could probably pick up a low noise adapter fairly cheap, assuming that the fan uses a standard connector.

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

The unspoken but stupid option would just be to put a resistor in the line to the fan, so that it would reduce the fan speed by eating a significant amount of the power that would be going to the fan. You could probably pick up a low noise adapter fairly cheap, assuming that the fan uses a standard connector.

I'll do that as a last resort if needed be.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The bios didn't want to update using the AMI bios update tool. I'll mess around with it tomorrow, hopefully it will do something

There are two different BIOS options, did you choose the correct one?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

10 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

There are two different BIOS options, did you choose the correct one?

I extracted the bios fine and imported the microcode fine, just AFUDOS.EXE wasn't installing the bios while using the open DOS USB. 

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I extracted the bios fine and imported the microcode fine, just AFUDOS.EXE wasn't installing the bios while using the open DOS USB. 

Try again with a fresh BIOS... I think I had the same issue with my brother's rig but I can't remember how I fixed it :(

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It is a little late to do it now, I'll try again later. 

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

12 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

5 hours ago, oskarha said:

I tried using the flashing utility used that oskarha used in their Vostro Mod, it worked, my computer now is running at a reasonable fan speed once again.

Thank you, I really appreciate you guys help.