Will getting faster RAM in my scenario help with performance?

I am currently running 12gb of RAM. One 8gb and one 4gb, clocked at 800MZ. The motherboard I have supports up to a maximum of 1600 is 1866MHz. 800MHz is slow, so should I upgrade to 16gb 1600MHz RAM? Will that increase performance?

No, I am not running an iGPU, I have a 750 TI and my CPU is an A8-5500.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

If you're reading that 800 in something like CPU-Z or Speccy then its correct and the ram is 1600, it reads as 800 due to DDR.

Ram won't make a difference, its most likely just your cpu thats slow. The only way faster ram would help is if you were using the APU's graphics, but as you have the 750ti i imagine you aren't.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yes, ignore the video made by Linus. This Video show the gains, ignore the CPU. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

If you're reading that 800 in something like CPU-Z or Speccy then its correct and the ram is 1600, it reads as 800 due to DDR.

Ram won't make a difference, its most likely just your cpu thats slow.

No, it's definitely 800Mhz. It says in the BIOS and on AMD Overdrive and on the side of the RAM stick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Ram won't make a difference, its most likely just your cpu thats slow. 

Wrong.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Wrong.

Not entirely, the cpu is pretty slow too

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, QuantumElement said:

No, it's definitely 800Mhz. It says in the BIOS and on AMD Overdrive and on the side of the RAM stick.

You double that since you have two sticks of memory. That's how it works.

And to answer your question, yes faster memory helps.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, yeah, 2133MHz vs 3000 won't make much of a difference. What about 800MHz vs 1600MHz?

Not entirely, the cpu is pretty slow too

That actually makes the difference greater. Faster the CPU the less you gain. 

1 minute ago, QuantumElement said:

Well, yeah, 2133MHz vs 3000 won't make much of a difference. What about 800MHz vs 1600MHz?

I gained 20fps in Fallout 4 in places going from 1600MHz to 2133MHz using CL10 DDR3. 

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You double that since you have two sticks of memory. That's how it works.

And to answer your question, yes faster memory helps.

So, because I have two RAM sticks clocked at 800MHz, it'll combine themselves and make 1600MHz? I don't think that's how it works...

I went from 8gb 1600mhz ram to 16gb 2133mhz ram, made no difference in gaming cause the cpu is still crap.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I gained 20fps in Fallout 4 in places going from 1600MHz to 2133MHz using CL10 DDR3. 

So there would be a considerable gain going from the slow 800MHz to the 1600MHz?

I went from 8gb 1600mhz ram to 16gb 2133mhz ram, made no difference in gaming cause the cpu is still crap.

This CPU isn't great, but still surprises me on how well it actually does with the tasks I throw at it. It can run XCOM 2 on high settings 20-25 FPS while there's a good bit going on.Space Engineers runs great, averaging 30 FPS on planets and a sim speed of .7

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

No, your graphics card was crap. Faster RAM helps the Graphics card. 

2 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

So there would be a considerable gain going from the slow 800MHz to the 1600MHz?

Depends on the situation. RAM mostly effects dips. you can get some bonus fps in the average and peak, but most of the improvement is in dips. Places with a lot of shadows. 

4 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

So, because I have two RAM sticks clocked at 800MHz, it'll combine themselves and make 1600MHz? I don't think that's how it works...

Yes, that is how it works, but it does depend on where you're seeing this information now that I think about it.

If you're on Windows 10 and you open task manager, it will tell you the total clock speed of your memory on the memory page.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Yes, that is how it works, but it does depend on where you're seeing this information now that I think about it.

If you're on Windows 10 and you open task manager, it will tell you the total clock speed of your memory on the memory page.

Interesting. In the BIOS it says 800MHz and AMD overdrive is saying that it's maintaining around 665-667MHz. It does say 1600MHz on task manager, though.

3 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Each stick doubles its speed. Dual and quad-channel don't matter for the speed. Yes, going with faster RAM helps the CPU do its calculations but I think the 750 Ti is holding you back. That said, your mobo doesn't support faster RAM as you've said. 

Depends on the situation. RAM mostly effects dips. you can get some bonus fps in the average and peak, but most of the improvement is in dips. Places with a lot of shadows. 

[affects]. Anemia affects the blood vs anemia's effects on the blood.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Each stick doubles its speed. Dual and quad-channel don't matter for the speed. Yes, going with faster RAM helps the CPU do its calculations but I think the 750 Ti is holding you back. That said, your mobo doesn't support faster RAM as you've said. 

[affects]. Anemia affects the blood vs anemia's effects on the blood.

Took a second when typing. I'm a enginar, engginer, enginir. I'm good at math. 

2 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Interesting. In the BIOS it says 800MHz and AMD overdrive is saying that it's maintaining around 665-667MHz. It does say 1600MHz on task manager, though.

Happens. I would look into getting the fastest memory that your motherboard supports. I'm not sure how AMD's platform works 100%, so you should Google around for your specific chip and motherboard and make doubly sure what memory you can get and the max effective clock speed.

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

No, not in all cases, but if the CPU supports dual channel, it kind of sort of does is SUPER layman's terms.

I don't know what you mean.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Happens. I would look into getting the fastest memory that your motherboard supports. I'm not sure how AMD's platform works 100%, so you should Google around for your specific chip and motherboard and make doubly sure what memory you can get and the max effective clock speed.

I don't know what you mean.

I have the MSI 2AE0--a board you actually can't find on MSI's website--and it supports a maximum of 1866MHz RAM, up to 32gb maximum.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Took a second when typing. I'm a enginar, engginer, enginir. I'm good at math. 

That's all that counts... Unless you're using variables... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

28 minutes ago, App4that said:

That is with Kaby Lake/Skylake architecture though. Not refuting outright, but have something similar for Trinity?

30 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Will that increase performance?

Title said a specific scenario, which is what exactly?

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

That is with Kaby Lake/Skylake architecture though. Not refuting outright, but have something similar for Trinity?

That will happen with any CPU. Faster memory helps relieve potential CPU bottlenecks. Just don't expect it to work a miracle. 

10 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

I have the MSI 2AE0--a board you actually can't find on MSI's website--and it supports a maximum of 1866MHz RAM, up to 32gb maximum.

Well at that point I would save up for a totally new motherboard/CPU to be frank.

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Title said a specific scenario, which is what exactly?

RAM.png