4690k stable OC?

I just overclocked my 4690k to 4.2GHz @1.200V

I stress tested it for 15 minutes with Aida64, max temps where 70°C (package).

Should I push for a higher OC (4.5ghz, possibly?)

Cheers.

You'd need a better cooler to push it further with a safe temperature.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, Jed M said:

Not really any point to it.

Why not? I often render stuff (Sony Vegas), so it'll help a bit.

Plus, do you think it's a stable OC (looking at the above info)?

1 minute ago, The Slimy Pig said:

Why not? I often render stuff (Sony Vegas), so it'll help a bit.

Plus, do you think it's a stable OC (looking at the above info)?

If you render a lot, you may want to do a lot more stress testing than 15 minutes with AIDA64 before you presume that your system is stable.  AIDA64 is one of the least stressful tools in the stressing inventory.  

If you push any more voltage or increase frequency, your temps will go pretty fast from 70 to 80°C, and that's a point where I wouldn't feel 100% sure about temps anymore.

So if that is realy stable, you should stick with it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

If you render a lot, you may want to do a lot more stress testing than 15 minutes with AIDA64 before you presume that your system is stable.  AIDA64 is one of the least stressful tools in the stressing inventory.  

Could you recommend me some other stressing tools? I know Prime95 isn't good anymore as it gives unrealistic temps and whatnot.

Could you recommend me some other stressing tools? I know Prime95 isn't good anymore as it gives unrealistic temps and whatnot.

You have Intel Xtreme Utility or something like that. It does have stress testing embeded in it.

And well it's from Intel for Intel CPU, so it should be good xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

If you push any more voltage or increase frequency, your temps will go pretty fast from 70 to 80°C, and that's a point where I wouldn't feel 100% sure about temps anymore.

So if that is realy stable, you should stick with it.

Why not, who came up with the 80 degree rule anyway. Laptop chips predominantly run at those temperatures, and they don't fry after two years.

No need to go Prime95 crazy, but you could run some RealBench (in stress test mode, not benchmark), OCCT, x264 stress test, or even HWBOTx265 benchmark set to P.mode with 12x overkill.  I like to stress using applications that compliment the type of work that I'll be doing with any particular overclock profile.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Why not, who came up with the 80 degree rule anyway. Laptop chips predominantly run at those temperatures, and they don't fry after two years.

There's a difference between running hot within voltage, power, and load specifications and running hot with excessive voltage, power, and load.  One will last forever and the other might not. 

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I don't know who came up with that rule, but whenever someone asks about temps, there are tons of reply that it should be below 80°C to be safe.

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

There's a difference between running hot within voltage, power, and load specifications and running hot with excessive voltage, power, and load.  One will last forever and the other might not. 

That seems profoundly unfounded. 

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Because laptop CPUs automatically slow down to prevent them from continuing at that heat. It's not recommended to reach beyond 70C on any chip. 

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

Because laptop CPUs automatically slow down to prevent them from continuing at that heat. It's not recommended to reach beyond 70C on any chip. 

No they don't, they use the same thermal limiting features as desktop chips. And you can adjust all these parameters in your BIOS aswell. Like boost tables, long/short-term TDP limits, current limits. Etc.

Atleast, I can with the 4670K, but that might be due to the FIVR.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Sound good.  

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

No they don't, they use the same thermal limiting features as desktop chips. And you can adjust all these parameters in your BIOS aswell. Like boost tables, long/short-term TDP limits, current limits. Etc.

It has nothing to do with FIVR as those features are available to CPUs without FIVR.

56 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Sound good.  

What does that even mean, you have no evidence to support your claims.

56 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It has nothing to do with FIVR as those features are available to CPUs without FIVR.

I said 'it might' have, i don't have a plethora of modern platforms at my disposal to confirm.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Sound good.  

15 minutes ago, Majestic said:

What does that even mean, you have no evidence to support your claims.

So I'll run back through this one for you.  I made a statement.  You offered your opinion, to which, I offered mine.  While it is possible, I didn't see your previous request for "evidence."

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

20 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I said 'it might' have, i don't have a plethora of modern platforms at my disposal to confirm.

The thing that happened here was you speculated that the above mentioned features may have been provided due to your CPU having a FIVR.  I simply took the "might" out of the equation by clarifying that it had nothing to do with what you were speculating.

I noticed you display the title "Devil's Advocate".  That doesn't necessarily need to mean that one sits on the sideline and critiques everything about the game.  Every now and then, feel free to actually jump in with help instead of riding off of everyone else's replies and playing "Devil's Advocate".

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything additional for you.  

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So I'll run back through this one for you.  I made a statement.  You offered your opinion, to which, I offered mine.  While it is possible, I didn't see your previous request for "evidence."

I don't have to, you were making the claim. I needn't evidence to refute or question said claim, (link) the burden of proof is on you. Provide evidence of severe and significant chip degradation above or around 80 degrees, or stop making the claim. 

The thing that happened here was you speculated that the above mentioned features may have been provided due to your CPU having a FIVR.  I simply took the "might" out of the equation by clarifying that it had nothing to do with what you were speculating.

I noticed you display the title "Devil's Advocate".  That doesn't necessarily need to mean that one sits on the sideline and critiques everything about the game.  Every now and then, feel free to actually jump in with help instead of riding off of everyone else's replies and playing "Devil's Advocate".

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything additional for you.  

(link) It wasn't relevant wheter it was an FIVR feature or not, you're deflecting to avoid the real criticism. So let's have it.

Adhominem, try better next time.

Arrogant much.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

I don't have you, you were making the claim. I needn't evidence to refute or question said claim, the burden of proof is on you. Provide evidence of severe and significant chip degradation above or around 80 degrees, or stop making the claim. 

Take a moment and reread what I posted as what you just stated isn't even close.

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I don't have you, you were making the claim. I needn't evidence to refute or question said claim, the burden of proof is on you. Provide evidence of severe and significant chip degradation above or around 80 degrees, or stop making the claim. 

(link) It wasn't relevant wheter it was an FIVR feature or not, you are cherrypicking to avoid the real criticism. So let's have it.

Adhominem, try better next time.

Arrogant much.

Sorry you feel that way.  I'll also pass on your "let's have it" offer as you're doing exactly what I addressed in my last post.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Take a moment and reread what I posted as what you just stated isn't even close.

Sorry you feel that way.  I'll also pass on your "let's have it" offer as you're doing exactly what I addressed in my last post.

It wasn't an exchange of opinions. You made a claim, I refuted the claim on the basis of lacking evidence supporting said claim. I don't have to provide any sufficient evidence to refute your claim. Hence I pointed you to the basic principle of 'burden of proof'.

Now are you going to provide the evidence, or are you going to continue to deflect and debate useless semantics? I really, really don't like some of the doctrines on this platform and I make it my mission sometimes to uplift them, root and branch.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It wasn't an exchange of opinions. You made a claim, I refuted the claim on the basis of lacking evidence supporting said claim. I don't have to provide any sufficient evidence to refute your claim. Hence I pointed you to the basic principle of 'burden of proof'.

Now are you going to provide the evidence, or are you going to continue to deflect and debate useless semantics? I really, really don't like some of the doctrines on this platform and I make it my mission sometimes to uplift them, root and branch.

Can you simply stop?  First thing, you're not going to win the internet today so it's okay.

Secondly, I never said "severe and significant chip degradation above or around 80 degrees".  I've already asked you once to go back and reread what I actually said, but your argumentative attitude is getting in the way.  

There's no doubt in my mind that you're going to need that last word, so it is yours to have sir.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Can you simply stop?  First thing, you're not going to win the internet today so it's okay.

No, that's true. I'll take some small solace in 'winning' this argument though.

Secondly, I never said "severe and significant chip degradation above or around 80 degrees".  I've already asked you once to go back and reread what I actually said, but your argumentative attitude is getting in the way.  

Well then let's go back:

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

There's a (1) difference between running hot within voltage, power, and load specifications and running hot with excessive voltage, power, and load. (2)  One will last forever and the other might not. 

1. What difference. 2. Based on what.

There's no doubt in my mind that you're going to need that last word, so it is yours to have sir.  

Another way of avoiding criticism. You're not going to provide evidence to your claim and i'm not going to debate semantics.

See you in the next topic where someone utters the bogus 80 degrees rule again.