i7 7700K gaming temps

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
2 minutes ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Well I gave up on Prime95 and ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead and here's the results 

Like I said in my first post, you're more than likely fine.  GTAV gives a CPU a pretty decent workout at times.  Run RealBench for 1 to 4 hours and call it a day.

Hey guys, so its been about a week since I did my build and I noticed that while I'm gaming (GTA 5) my CPU temps go up to about 60C with only about 25% utilization which I feel is a bit hot because the cooler I have is a H100i v2 what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Hey guys, so its been about a week since I did my build and I noticed that while I'm gaming (GTA 5) my CPU temps go up to about 60C with only about 25% utilization which I feel is a bit hot because the cooler I have is a H100i v2 what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure you're fine.  Did you stress test the setup before you started using it?

60C is normal for a hot CPU on AIO cooler, remember an AIO water cooler will not net you temps like a custom loop, its only marginally better than a good Air cooler

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

go into your bios and check your core voltage. most z270 mobo's set the core voltage way to high

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

I'm gonna run a stress test right now ill let you know what happens and in my bios I have it set to Asus's performance mode which ups the clock speed to about 4.6 GHz after the stress test I'll hop into the bios and check the voltage.

3 minutes ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Well Prime95 and realtemp didn't work very well only 24% cpu usage?

If you are only getting 24% usage with Prime95, that means some of your worker failed due to instability and are no longer running.  Look closely at the status windows and you'll see errors and the fact that they stopped.  This in turn means that your overclock is not stable.  At least not stable enough for a Prime95 blend type load.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

If you are only getting 24% usage with Prime95, that means some of your worker failed due to instability and are no longer running.  Look closely at the status windows and you'll see errors and the fact that they stopped.  This in turn means that your overclock is not stable.  At least not stable enough for a Prime95 blend type load.

Hmm alright but which version of Prime95 should I be using because I'm using 26.6 and it shows up as unknown intel.

1 minute ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Hmm alright but which version of Prime95 should I be using because I'm using 26.6 and it shows up as unknown intel.

Do you need it to be Prime95 stable?  That's generally reserved for folks that need the ultimate stability due to some professional or enthusiast level requirements.  If not, I'd run RealBench stress test, AIDA64 and maybe some IBT or something else of your choice.

Prime95 is great, but requires a great deal more voltage and runs A LOT of power through your chip.  I run it myself, but only on the overclock profiles that I need to be solid.

15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Do you need it to be Prime95 stable?  That's generally reserved for folks that need the ultimate stability due to some professional or enthusiast level requirements.  If not, I'd run RealBench stress test, AIDA64 and maybe some IBT or something else of your choice.

Prime95 is great, but requires a great deal more voltage and runs A LOT of power through your chip.  I run it myself, but only on the overclock profiles that I need to be solid.

Well I gave up on Prime95 and ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead and here's the results IETU.jpg

2 minutes ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Well I gave up on Prime95 and ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead and here's the results 

Like I said in my first post, you're more than likely fine.  GTAV gives a CPU a pretty decent workout at times.  Run RealBench for 1 to 4 hours and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Okay thanks for your help. also is 1.200 Volts alright for the core voltage because I'm terrible with voltages.

50 minutes ago, Masskiller1523 said:

Okay thanks for your help. also is 1.200 Volts alright for the core voltage because I'm terrible with voltages.

It depends on your load.  Something with heavy AVX may require more than that at 4.6 GHz.  This might explain your Prime95 results.  Voltage is relative to cooling so the more you cool your chip, the less voltage it will require.

46 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It depends on your load.  Something with heavy AVX may require more than that at 4.6 GHz.  This might explain your Prime95 results.  Voltage is relative to cooling so the more you cool your chip, the less voltage it will require.

After a long time of stress testing with different applications it appears that the highest temp I got is 77C and also when real temp was showing 24% usage it is actually 100% usage because every time I opened it up while the CPU was under 100% usage real temp only showed 24% so I'm assuming that real temp wasn't updated to work with Kaby lake yet and is stuck showing only 24% usage when its actually 100%.

1 minute ago, Masskiller1523 said:

After a long time of stress testing with different applications it appears that the highest temp I got is 77C and also when real temp was showing 24% usage it is actually 100% usage because every time I opened it up while the CPU was under 100% usage real temp only showed 24% so I'm assuming that real temp wasn't updated to work with Kaby lake yet and is stuck showing only 24% usage when its actually 100%.

Excellent.  Enjoy you rig with confidence now!