Personal Rant/Vent on CoD IW

Princess Luna

I had to vent after the disappointment from trying out Infinite Warfare, first of all the last time I played Call of Duty for its multiplayer was way back in MW1, though I have since the original first Call of Duty always played the franchise for its single player campaign, I remember the chills and emotion I would feel back in CoD1, its expansion pack and CoD2, the great soundtrack allied to realistic story and the feeling that you were just another soldier trying to make your way through the war always provided fantastic immersion for me.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Black Ops 1 were also great adds, still somewhat realistic good stories with solid characters, thanks Price!, made the game remain as my favourite war game ever, once again I play it for its campaign, multiplayer I always preferred Counter-Strike.

The downfall began with Black Ops 2 and the other titles like Ghosts, Advanced Warfare... Frankly the exaggerated fantasy, far fetched stories with absolutely no realism nor sense destroyed immersion to me, Ghosts had everything but "ghost touch" to it, you simply raid enemy places kills everyone and once the mission is done you didn't even recall why or what you were doing there in the first place, also unlike the well built scheme to get Russia and USA to war from Modern Warfare, I am to believe that South America would ever unite in one single country and outcome USA? I am Brazilian and even I know that is bullshit.

Moving on to Advance Warfare, it increased the lack of consistency, a private company becoming more powerful than all countries in earth and controlling UN is again a shitty story that feels it was written by 12 years old for 10 years old to play (I do apologize if I offend any fan, though as a former fan of the franchise I feel in the right to say so), the game shares an issue I personally had with Battlefield 4 campaign as well, you no longer are just a soldier in the battlefield, or even a special operations actually doing a clean stealth mission, you and other 2 npc at best, takes down an entire army doing the most random missions "get this intel, destroy this factory, do whatever" that honestly hardly adds to the story, it doesn't feel like what you do is meaningful at all just a "level for more killing to fill up the game".

With all that however I remained quite loyal to the franchise as I never give up on hopes, my brother bought a refurbished copy at a game store here for, after conversion, 12 dollars. So I took it and installed in my PC from signature, first of all I faced numerous issues after game installed, crashes, requirement to start in safe mode, the game despite the recommended memory requirement being of 8gb which is what I have and from what I saw it drove the memory usage to the 6ish gb, would crash all the time due to "insufficient memory", which was only solved after I increased my virtual memory from 1gb, which I have always used and never had any issue what so ever, all the way to 6gb when it finally stopped crashing due to it.

So after all the troubleshooting finally managed to start the game, at this point I frankly was quite stressed out, but still went on, graphics maxed out on 2560x1080p/75hz v-sync: the graphics honestly didn't surprised me one bit, games like Assassins Creed Unity and The Witcher 3 have made me go much more surprised... there was a very short introduction video to the story and universe, which I personally felt weak as f**k, though as much as I hate sci-fi I kept on in the hope it would develop nicely.

So with almost no mentions to the story itself we are already driven to the first mission... what a coincidence dropping from the sky exactly like the beginning of Advance Warfare, recycled much... an ice ambient that also reminded me of Advance Warfare Antarctica level... So... 3 soldiers go and take down an entire enemy invading squad that had already successfully wiped out an entire highly protected military research base by simply killing anyone in your way... so much for the good and old days Call of Duty had at least some realism, in the end all I had from that experience was a level where I shut down my brain, killed enemies with ease despite using Hard difficulty, with zero immersion and zero interest developing for the story.

I was going to play furthermore of the game however as this guys was going to refill my oxygen after the base explode guess what? DirectX fatal error and the game crashed lmao... Decided to do myself a favour and get rid of the 66gb of junk from my HDD.

Have ever anyone in here being this upset towards a game you still had hopes for?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I had i similar experience when i came to black ops 2 tranzit. I was so hyped back in 2012 when they revealed tranzit with avenged sevenfolds carry on in the background. Then i got my hands on it.... it was horseshit. Then after that i did't play much of zombies for the entire cycle of black ops 2, more so focusing on borderlands 2. However recently when i repurchased black ops 2 for steam, i absolutely loved it, Mob of the dead and origins are now 2 of my favorite maps.

I thought the campaign was awesome. Cool environments. Mass effect type mission select was neat where you pick what mission. Off rails space fighter battles which were surprisingly good. I never had any crashes, and CoD has always been about taking out an un-realistic amount of dudes just cas I could bring up examples in CoD4 if you want. The graphics by modern standards are fine, nothing spectacular i agree but the faces are done better than i have seen in any other game. Honestly really fun campaign. Multiplayer was good too, i think im just getting a little bored of the core game mechanics of CoD and would rather just play CSGO. 

If you can sort out whatever is crashing your game I recommend you stick with the campaign cas honestly its pretty epic. 

One does not play a CoD game for it nuanced and realistic campaign, they have always been a little big ridiculous although they may have gotten more so, I still don't think this should be a deal breaker for fans of the series.

As you are someone who enjoyed the earlier games, did you get CoD 4 remastered bundle? What did you think? 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

20 minutes ago, Rupe said:

I thought the campaign was awesome. Cool environments. Mass effect type mission select was neat where you pick what mission. Off rails space fighter battles which were surprisingly good. I never had any crashes, and CoD has always been about taking out an un-realistic amount of dudes just cas I could bring up examples in CoD4 if you want. The graphics by modern standards are fine, nothing spectacular i agree but the faces are done better than i have seen in any other game. Honestly really fun campaign. Multiplayer was good too, i think im just getting a little bored of the core game mechanics of CoD and would rather just play CSGO. 

If you can sort out whatever is crashing your game I recommend you stick with the campaign cas honestly its pretty epic. 

One does not play a CoD game for it nuanced and realistic campaign, they have always been a little big ridiculous although they may have gotten more so, I still don't think this should be a deal breaker for fans of the series.

As you are someone who enjoyed the earlier games, did you get CoD 4 remastered bundle? What did you think? 

No this copy was solely for the IW, I wouldn't really mind it though, I'm not the kind that buys out "remasters" hahah...

Any ways, like I said, yes I do understand the intention was not to be realistic however the old titles had much more realism than the newest ones, there is no doubt on there, I perhaps just feel like I used to like the old formula better... I was going to uninstall it but I had to attend the kitchen and didn't, so I might still try it out a bit more... hopefully I will see this "epicness" you talk of eventually.

Still not there though xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

No this copy was solely for the IW, I wouldn't really mind it though, I'm not the kind that buys out "remasters" hahah...

Any ways, like I said, yes I do understand the intention was not to be realistic however the old titles had much more realism than the newest ones, there is no doubt on there, I perhaps just feel like I used to like the old formula better... I was going to uninstall it but I had to attend the kitchen and didn't, so I might still try it out a bit more... hopefully I will see this "epicness" you talk of eventually.

Still not there though xD

Literally right after that first mission cool shit goes down. I think you'll have a good time

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

I was a huge fan of the cod franchise. MW1, BO, MW2, BO2, and then MW3 is where it started losing me.

I bought ghosts, and hated the multiplayer. The campaign wasn't all that engaging either so I never finished it. Never got AW or IW since the whole mech warrior thing wasn't what I wanted out of a COD game.

I always used to play the campaign fully through before touching the multiplayer, but the newer titles (pretty much anything after BO2) made me totally not want to play the game. The only part of the cod games I still enjoy is doing some splitscreen zombies with friends.

When in doubt, re-format.

I've played Ghosts (XB1) and Advanced Warfare (PC).

I liked advanced warfare better.  Do I play COD on a regular basis? No. I will not support FPS franchises which milk players for cash every year and are damn reskins.

The only FPS game's I've played recently are BF4 (waiting for BattleFront 2 coming sometime this year),  L4D2 (yes, this is an FPS) and CS:GO.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

Literally right after that first mission cool shit goes down. I think you'll have a good time

After finally sorting out all the issues and finally being able to run it without crashes, I played up to the moon mission and yes the pace got a lot better, the game Did have a very weak start but it is warming up, glad didn't uninstall it  so far but I likely won't be keeping it for multiplayer once I finish the campaign xD cheers!

Personal Desktop":