Sould i upgrade laptop hdd-to-ssd

Hi!

My dad's old toshiba laptop is getting slow, and i think the main reson is the hdd in it (after updating to Windows 10). The specs:
Cpu: i3-330M 2.13 GHz 3 MB (2 core 4 thread)

Ram: 3 GB (2*1.5 GB) DDR3 1067 MHz

HDD: Toshiba 300 GB 5400 RPM drive

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 (1366x768 display)

He just uses firefox for browsing and mailing, and sometimes uses CAD for his hobby works. I think the cheapest way to improve performance is to swap the hdd to a lower end 240 GB ssd. My main conser is that the cpu gonna be outdated soon, and the upgrade is not worth it. But every hardware fuctions just fine in it.

Your thoughts?

It'll be best to just buy a new laptop for your dad. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Yes, an SSD would make a significant difference. However, if he uses CAD you may want to look at a new machine, particularly one with more ram and a faster cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

In CAD he mainly just design in like non poligon 3D, like only wires and dots (im not an expert in it). I can get a base 240GB ssd for like 80$, and a new laptop would be around 500-600$ (minimal wage is ~450$ in my country). Maybe i just buy the SSD and carry it over to a new laptop a few years later.

Thanks for your response :)

I just upgraded my Intel® Core™ i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz (Full spec) to new SSD storage (Samsung 750 EVO) with Win 7 Pro downgrade and speed up is very noticeable.

Although now the CPU is the bottleneck and heats up noticeably.

So if you plan to use your laptop with low CPU loads, high HDD loads I would suggest upgrading to SSD.

P.S. I would recommend not to use Win 10 on such machine as presumably it has higher load for the OS itself.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys, we decided to save some money and buy a new laptop. My mother is going to get this one with Ubuntu for office and web.