Can someone explain to me bandwidth in router terms?

ShiFtyDetoX

can someone explain to me in a simple way what bandwidth is for routers?

why are some routers better than others, besides the signal strength being better.

doesn't your internet speed just split between how many devices are running simultaneously? so why does bandwidth matter?

and also, does splitting the devices to be on the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz help at all with your internet not slowing down?

4 minutes ago, ShiFtyDetoX said:

can someone explain to me in a simple way what bandwidth is for routers?

why are some routers better than others, besides the signal strength being better.

doesn't your internet speed just split between how many devices are running simultaneously? so why does bandwidth matter?

and also, does splitting the devices to be on the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz help at all with your internet not slowing down?

I kinda hate networking bc it gets complicated very fast, and I simply dont know a whole lot about it but I believe bandwidthis the range of usable frequences that a router can dish out, so if you have a a ton of devices using all of the bands, you are left with no bandwidth. Routers are better pretty much for having, good range, good signal strength ie traveling through walls, features like many ethernet jacks, and the actual speed the can handle. And your internet speed does not split, it is relatively the same for all using wifi, because the bandwith provides mulitpul bands, which multipul  devicescan connect to so that they have access to the same speeds. Finalls you can get better performance by dividing up 2.4 and 5 ghz signals but they have their strengths and flaws, I believe 5ghz doesnt travel through walls well, but can be faster, and most devices have multipul bands so they can switch between 2.4 and 5 automagically so you dont have to do it manually. Hope this helped 

2 minutes ago, WORM said:

I kinda hate networking bc it gets complicated very fast, and I simply dont know a whole lot about it but I believe bandwidthis the range of usable frequences that a router can dish out, so if you have a a ton of devices using all of the bands, you are left with no bandwidth. Routers are better pretty much for having, good range, good signal strength ie traveling through walls, features like many ethernet jacks, and the actual speed the can handle. And your internet speed does not split, it is relatively the same for all using wifi, because the bandwith provides mulitpul bands, which multipul  devicescan connect to so that they have access to the same speeds. Finalls you can get better performance by dividing up 2.4 and 5 ghz signals but they have their strengths and flaws, I believe 5ghz doesnt travel through walls well, but can be faster, and most devices have multipul bands so they can switch between 2.4 and 5 automagically so you dont have to do it manually. Hope this helped 

thanks, gave me more knowledge to what i previously known, or gave me reassurance. some things i wasn't to positive about, but hearing it from others helps me understand more. yea cause one of my friends that knows absolutely nothing about routers wanted me to explain a bit. although i know basic knowledge, i just wanted to pick up a bit more.

1 minute ago, ShiFtyDetoX said:

thanks, gave me more knowledge to what i previously known, or gave me reassurance. some things i wasn't to positive about, but hearing it from others helps me understand more. yea cause one of my friends that knows absolutely nothing about routers wanted me to explain a bit. although i know basic knowledge, i just wanted to pick up a bit more.

Awesome, glad to help ya out