£40 ($55) Headset

TechTalk

So I have a budget of about £40 and I am looking for a decent headset that has a somewhat good microphone.

I'll be using this headset for gaming and some music.

I'd prefer the store to be from the UK if possible, thanks :)

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I just looked at a review of that, seems pretty good, almost sounds better then a Blue Snowball 

It don't sound better then the Blue snowball, I have that mic right now. It is awesome, just it attracts alot of noise. Hopefully you have your own room

It don't sound better then the Blue snowball, I have that mic right now. It is awesome, just it attracts alot of noise. Hopefully you have your own room

Ah, okay. Will it pick up my Cherry MX red mechanical keyboard?

Ah, okay. Will it pick up my Cherry MX red mechanical keyboard?

Probably, I know they pick up browns and blues (all mic I heard so far pick up blues)

Probably, I know they pick up browns and blues (all mic I heard so far pick up blues)

Ah, okay :) Thanks for the help

I just looked at a review of that, seems pretty good, almost sounds better then a Blue Snowball 

No.

Okay. Nice HQ post.

The Blue Snowball was made to bring a more professional level of microphone to the computer world (Back this was one of the first options) with an interface that took its design from the computer world. I.E. not XLR with phantom power, but USB. In other words, you do not need a separate sound card for acceptable input quality. You also do not need to worry about how well shielded that sound card was against the internal RF noise inside your common computer case. Nor do you need an external mixer to handle more traditional XLR connections supplying phantom power (Many professional mics need that).

The Blue Snowball has more options. You can switch between its Cardioid, Padded Cardioid (Really useful when you need a -10db drop with for example instruments like an guitar amp speaker), or omnidirectional.

The Zalman is only omni.

By the way, I've suggested the Zalman ZM-MIC1 many times, and even yesterday here on this forum. I like it more than any run of the mill Gaming Headset, but it's not as good as a Cardioid Mic. I find Gaming Headsets over priced for what you are getting in terms of sound quality with both the headphones and the microphone. Better value picking up a HD555/558 or AD700/AD700x with a Zalman or your choice of USB Mics like the Blue Snowball. I don't know the prices and availability in your country, but the lowest I'd go for headphones (You are sacrificing wide sound stage which gives you positional audio in games) will be some JVC HARX700 or Incipio Nx-100 f38. For somewhere in-between the AKG K240 Studio. The MKII's are most likely more expensive compared with the previous version I mentioned. Of course, there are a myriad of other choices in-between the price of the AD700x and Incipio/JVC. 

Now we go into how in a video (from who knows where,and by who knows who), a Zalman could sound close to or "nearly better" than a Blue Snowball. Were both videos from the same reviewer? Separate videos from separate reviewers would have a difference in room acoustics, settings for recording, recording software, distance from microphone when speaking, lack of accessories like pop shield or mic arm/stand (If they are not getting satisfactory placement with the included stand in their environments setup), familiarity with cardioid vs omni mics and how to best record with each, quality of upload to said website, what the website does to compress audio for distribution, or who knows what else. If they were the same reviewer, many of those listed variables can still apply.

Better?

The Blue Snowball was made to bring a more professional level of microphone to the computer world (Back this was one of the first options) with an interface that took its design from the computer world. I.E. not XLR with phantom power, but USB. In other words, you do not need a separate sound card for acceptable input quality. You also do not need to worry about how well shielded that sound card was against the internal RF noise inside your common computer case. Nor do you need an external mixer to handle more traditional XLR connections supplying phantom power (Many professional mics need that).

The Blue Snowball has more options. You can switch between its Cardioid, Padded Cardioid (Really useful when you need a -10db drop with for example instruments like an guitar amp speaker), or omnidirectional.

The Zalman is only omni.

By the way, I've suggested the Zalman ZM-MIC1 many times, and even yesterday here on this forum. I like it more than any run of the mill Gaming Headset, but it's not as good as a Cardioid Mic. I find Gaming Headsets over priced for what you are getting in terms of sound quality with both the headphones and the microphone. Better value picking up a HD555/558 or AD700/AD700x with a Zalman or your choice of USB Mics like the Blue Snowball. I don't know the prices and availability in your country, but the lowest I'd go for headphones (You are sacrificing wide sound stage which gives you positional audio in games) will be some JVC HARX700 or Incipio Nx-100 f38. For somewhere in-between the AKG K240 Studio. The MKII's are most likely more expensive compared with the previous version I mentioned. Of course, there are a myriad of other choices in-between the price of the AD700x and Incipio/JVC. 

Now we go into how in a video (from who knows where,and by who knows who), a Zalman could sound close to or "nearly better" than a Blue Snowball. Were both videos from the same reviewer? Separate videos from separate reviewers would have a difference in room acoustics, settings for recording, recording software, distance from microphone when speaking, lack of accessories like pop shield or mic arm/stand (If they are not getting satisfactory placement with the included stand in their environments setup), familiarity with cardioid vs omni mics and how to best record with each, quality of upload to said website, what the website does to compress audio for distribution, or who knows what else. If they were the same reviewer, many of those listed variables can still apply.

Better?

Much better, thanks :)

Covering ShearMe and saying Pioneer SE-A1000, plus Zalman clip mic.

Oh God it's so beautiful!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M